IGNORED

What's one thing you carry in your pack that not everyone carries, but maybe they should?

notyal

On 9/5/2018 at 4:01 PM, CBaron said:

Luckily for me, they've been 'other people's' injuries.  But I had a riding buddy nearly sever off the tip of his finger via a disc rotor during a spectacular crash.  My trusty bandana saved they day (and his finger)!  

-CJB

Mine severed clean off, in my glove... they couldn't reattach the piece though.

Among the usual stuff, I carry a multitool with a knife and pliers, flashlight, zip ties, a 1" roll of Gorilla tape, a cut-off jersey sleeve, a whistle, and always a Ziploc freezer bag with wipes... those have save my ass on many occasions...

Edited by gotdurt

I am to the point where I carry so much shit that I don't even know all the shit I carry.
now that I think of it, I probably need more shit.
I just imagined seeing you out on 1/4 Notch with that 5 Gallon bucket from your truck strapped to your back full of shit

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

I just imagined seeing you out on 1/4 Notch with that 5 Gallon bucket from your truck strapped to your back full of shit

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Damnit, I never considered that!  A 5 Gallon bucket fanny pack...you know all the hipsters will be doing it

After ripping my face open with an unseen strand of barbed wire, I started carrying a small mirror so that in the future I could determine how bad I was cut.  This was right above my eyebrow and it bled profusely.  I thought I had stopped the bleeding and cleaned it up but when I got back to the car I looked like an extra from a horror movie.  This helped explain the reactions I was getting from hikers I passed on the greenbelt...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hurronnicane said:

After ripping my face open with an unseen strand of barbed wire, I started carrying a small mirror so that in the future I could determine how bad I was cut.  This was right above my eyebrow and it bled profusely.  I thought I had stopped the bleeding and cleaned it up but when I got back to the car I looked like an extra from a horror movie.  This helped explain the reactions I was getting from hikers I passed on the greenbelt...

That mirror idea is a good one.  I had a contact lens get all catty wompus on Lower Porcupine Rim in Utah one time.  I couldn't see where it was in my eye to fix it and was totally screwed.  Luckily, a riding buddy was there to help me out but I couldn't even hold a cell-phone up and try the reverse camera thing.

2 hours ago, hurronnicane said:

Damn, where did you hit barbed wire with your face?  

Having a mirror is interesting.  I've used my phone before for such things, but that doesn't work as well as a mirror would.

32 minutes ago, Albert said:

Having a mirror is interesting.  I've used my phone before for such things, but that doesn't work as well as a mirror would.

Funny, I used to carry a mirror all the time, but as a signal device for emergencies. Could be double duty I guess. 

1 hour ago, Albert said:

It was one of those unnamed trails.  I actually saw the lower strands on the ground but I guess my helmet visor prevented me from the seeing the one just above eye-level.  So I popped up the front wheel over the lower strands and just as I was trying to hop the rear wheel over the wire, the previously unnoticed strand caught me between the helmet and my sunglasses.  It made a nice deep cut.  That was when out I found that all of wound wipes had dried up.  I did a fair amount of reassessing what was in my first kit after that.