IGNORED

Smart trainer vs. Peloton

notyal

My wife has ridden a Peloton a few times over at her sister's house and now wants one. (note: she is not a cyclist of any kind.) Cost is an issue. Space is a bigger issue. So, I was thinking maybe suggesting a smart trainer as an alternative, but I don't really know that much about them despite several threads on here. I have a bike that I think would work well for it with some minor tweaks and an Apple TV in the room where it would go. I've ridden the Peloton but never been on a trainer (smart or dumb). 

My questions/concerns are:

1. What are the trainers and subscription services I need to look at? 
  2. Do they have spin class type stuff that incorporates light free weights for upper body workouts?
  3. Does anyone have experience with both?
  4. The Peloton has a really solid feel. I'm worried that the trainer would feel wobbly to her. 
  5. The bike has gears and a freewheel. The Peloton is like a fixie with a resistance knob. How does that compare in terms of feeling on the bike?
  6. Usually when she wants something specific and I talk her into something else, it backfires. 

1.   Wahoo Kickr or Cyclops Hammer are the best.  I use the Kickr and like the feel.      Subscription services I use are: Zwift, Sufferfest, TrainerRoad.  I generally don't have them all active at the same time.  Most of my riding is done on Zwift.  Sufferfest and Trainer road are more winter things when I'm doing specific workouts for race season.  Even if I had all of these going at once, it'd still be cheaper than the 40/month for Peloton.

2.  Not really that I've seen.  I ride on my road bike on the trainer, so I haven't really looked at it.

3.   Haven't used a Peloton before.  Several of my coworkers who also ride have one though and like theirs.

4.  My trainer feels pretty solid.  I have no issues standing up and sprinting hard on the bike.

5.  The Kickr has several both options.  You can either free ride, using gears and such, or have it do specific workouts that do not require shifting.   For example,  I have my FTP set, and it bases the workout around that.   It'll set my target to say 180 watts, and automatically adjust resistance to that number and I just pedal.  After a bit, it goes down to 120w and adjusts for that.  

Since she's not a cyclist, that may influence your decision.   I have a road bike that fits me well, and I use that on the trainer.  I dislike most non-standard (spin) bikes that I've ridden.  I also hate spin classes in general, so I'd never use the spin class function that I think Peloton has.

When I was looking at options, the cost was a factor.  I already had a road bike.  The Kickr was 900ish (due to discount), and most apps that I use are 10ish a month.   The peloton was 2k + tax and had a 40/month subscription service, and I couldn't use Zwift or other apps (not sure if this is still the case).

• Like 1

TACX and Elite also make some of the best trainers out there. For reviews and information DC Rainmaker is a really good source. If you are comparing to a Peloton then you should be looking at direct drive trainers. Direct drive means you take the bike's rear wheel off and put your chain straight on the trainer. The others have rollers that your tire turns. Those are lame 😛 I got a 2nd cassette that matches the one on my rear wheel and can switch from trainer mode to real bike mode as fast as it takes to swap a wheel.

I've tried a lot of training programs. It kind of depends on your goals and training style to say which one is the best. I like unstructured "natural" type rides so I mostly do Zwift. Other software might be better for structured training. I've never been on a Peloton but I like to put my road bike on the trainer and knock out a ride when it's dark or raining or 107 degrees.

It's not wobbly, almost the opposite, you don't get the side to side movement out of the saddle that riding on the road gives. It's not going to fall over or anything.

All the resistance is controlled by the software. Change gears and virtual speed or adjust the software for your constant effort training.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

You need to figure out why she likes the Peloton. Is it the color? The interface? The competition? If you deviate from the Peloton, you will hear about it if she doesn’t like it and you’ll end up with a trainer you both hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong. I'll end up with a trainer that we both hate AND a Peloton.

• Like 2

The Peloton is all about the interaction via video. She's not a "cyclist". We cyclists don't quite get Peloton and it's not for us. Although some bikers do get them and like them.

Because of 6), I'd just get a Peloton and think of it as something that you could get a workout on if you wanted

If she likes pelotón, there is no guarantee that she'll like Zwift. I'd bet against it. While it's interactive, it's a video game, not real humans.

Can you get a used one maybe?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, fontarin said:

1.   Wahoo Kickr or Cyclops Hammer are the best.  I use the Kickr and like the feel.      Subscription services I use are: Zwift, Sufferfest, TrainerRoad.  I generally don't have them all active at the same time.  Most of my riding is done on Zwift.  Sufferfest and Trainer road are more winter things when I'm doing specific workouts for race season.  Even if I had all of these going at once, it'd still be cheaper than the 40/month for Peloton.

2.  Not really that I've seen.  I ride on my road bike on the trainer, so I haven't really looked at it.

3.   Haven't used a Peloton before.  Several of my coworkers who also ride have one though and like theirs.

4.  My trainer feels pretty solid.  I have no issues standing up and sprinting hard on the bike.

5.  The Kickr has several both options.  You can either free ride, using gears and such, or have it do specific workouts that do not require shifting.   For example,  I have my FTP set, and it bases the workout around that.   It'll set my target to say 180 watts, and automatically adjust resistance to that number and I just pedal.  After a bit, it goes down to 120w and adjusts for that.  

Since she's not a cyclist, that may influence your decision.   I have a road bike that fits me well, and I use that on the trainer.  I dislike most non-standard (spin) bikes that I've ridden.  I also hate spin classes in general, so I'd never use the spin class function that I think Peloton has.

When I was looking at options, the cost was a factor.  I already had a road bike.  The Kickr was 900ish (due to discount), and most apps that I use are 10ish a month.   The peloton was 2k + tax and had a 40/month subscription service, and I couldn't use Zwift or other apps (not sure if this is still the case).

+1 on all counts except substitute Kickr specific info with Hammer which is what I have.

We also have a SportsArt recumbent trainer, gym quality (picked up on craigslist for $200, replaced two struts for the remote seat adjustment).  I like that better than standard trainer seats (absolutely hate them).  The Peloton thing... my sister has one, a coworker's wife wanted one (he also said almost the exact same thing as Tree Magnet when we tried to persuade him to go for a smart trainer.)

if you don't want to spring for the peloton bike just get a regular spin bike, then you can pay for the peloton app and still get the spin classes. its just not as interactive since your effort is not displayed with the rest of the class. but i would think its just as motivational. spin classes can be fun. i enjoyed the time i've spent on a peloton.

here's one article on diy peloton:

https://www.mypursestrings.com/peloton-app/

I’ve done both. I own a Hammer H2/Apple TV/ Zwift setup.

I enjoyed my peloton class I did and I do spin classes when I’m traveling for work. The competition ranking in peloton class was fun. It could easily get me in trouble to actually reach my goals. I ended up going way over the recommended effort for the Tabata intervals we did. It could also allow someone to not go hard enough when left to their leisure. Turning the knobs for resistance is something you get used to doing accurately.

I would buy the smart trainer/ Apple TV setup. Especially if you have a spare bike. It helps if you and your wife aren’t too different in height. A dropper helps, or swappable seatposts with your ideal saddles if you are both going to ride.

GUESS WHAT, You can run peloton digital app, but it doesn’t really get you what you want. No connectivity with Strava, and no data other than HR, so it’s not the same.

My whole family loves Zwift (more than I do!) my in-laws now have the same setup. One lost 30 pounds through the winter because of Zwift.

Zwift has a big community, competition, individual structures workouts, group rides, group structures workouts (like peloton) where everyone is kept together in a group no matter their power. It’s also got races.

There are women’s only events all the time as well.

For pure structured training, I prefer trainer road and streaming YouTube, but I stick to Zwift to simplify the household.

• Like 1

Maybe borrow a smart trainer and try a few different app, like Zwift?

If she loves the interactive aspect and couldn't care less about structured training and FTP, then anything less than the full Peloton experience might be something that is resented by her and not used by anyone. Choose wisely. [emoji16]

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. What she really likes about the Peloton is that you can filter by workout type / trainer / musical genre  / etc. and just go. I think this is a situation where I should get her want she actually wants or she won't be happy with it.

I've done the Peloton once, and I have to admit that I enjoyed it. Some of the female trainers on there are very....motivational. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the replies. What she really likes about the Peloton is that you can filter by workout type / trainer / musical genre  / etc. and just go. I think this is a situation where I should get her want she actually wants or she won't be happy with it.

I've done the Peloton once, and I have to admit that I enjoyed it. Some of the female trainers on there are very....motivational. 

Agreed. BUT find her a place to try Zwift.

Zwift has all of these things except scantily clad women shouting numbers at you that don’t mean jack if you don’t do it.

Through the Apple TV, you can run pandora, Spotify in the background. My wife throws on her station based off the workout she is doing and then hits the workout hard.

Zwift workouts occur in Erg Mode where no shifting is required. Resistance is controlled by the workout you have selected. There is a massive menu of workouts including a training plan section where it has you loaded up with your workout the moment you join. Instead of a video of a girl yelling at you, Zwift has finish lines in the road in the distance with the end of the interval. You can also see it at the top when you are in the middle of the set.

This is a sample of the app where I can sign up and see what’s going on when I get home for “live events” and races. Lately I have been a glutton for the Alpe d’Zwift which is a replica climb of Alpe d’Huez. In fact, I just used that climb to set a 20 minute power PR to see where my FTP was at.

b48c9e6c32eacae494102cb026ffab29.jpg

One big difference, is that the smart trainer is loud and the peloton is not. Keep that in mind. But of course it’s very one dimensional.

• Like 1

you can subscribe to peloton digital without getting the bike. The bike is very overpriced vs an actual trainer. The bike doesnt do automatic power training which sucks.

I think peloton digital can receive cadence and heartrate data so you dont need the peloton bike anymore. Considering that you adjust resistance manually with the peloton I think it is way overpriced. Smart trainers adjust resistance automatically and can measure power output which I think is huge.

With a wahoo kickr you can use trainer road (or many other apps) which is good for cycling programs to develop power. I personally didnt like zwift and much prefer trainer road for training using power numbers. With the peloton bike you can use other apps, but it is missing app controlled resistance.

When you train for power, the software figures out your FTP then sets power numbers. The trainer automatically adjusts the resistance and you just keep up cadence. If you increase cadence, the resistance drops. When you use it with zwift in power mode, you never need to shift because you are outputting whatever power the training program says (your velocity will change). The resistance depends on your cadence, not the grade of the slope. It doesnt matter how fast you pedal you wont go faster because the power is constant for a given time period of a program.

If you dont use power mode, your power would fluctuate a lot more and the resistance would be determined by grade not how fast you pedal.

Edited by crazyt

Look into Rouvy as an alternative to Zwift. It has a bunch of different virtual ride options and training workouts.
I'm not a subscriber, but If I was to subscribe to one trainer app/service, I would probably choose Rouvy right now, based on what they offer.

Plus, the premium subscription allows it to be shared with a couple extra users (both of you could use it on one subscription). I don't think Zwift offers anything like that yet.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:47 PM, crazyt said:

you can subscribe to peloton digital without getting the bike. The bike is very overpriced vs an actual trainer. The bike doesnt do automatic power training which sucks.

I think peloton digital can receive cadence and heartrate data so you dont need the peloton bike anymore. Considering that you adjust resistance manually with the peloton I think it is way overpriced. Smart trainers adjust resistance automatically and can measure power output which I think is huge.

With a wahoo kickr you can use trainer road (or many other apps) which is good for cycling programs to develop power. I personally didnt like zwift and much prefer trainer road for training using power numbers. With the peloton bike you can use other apps, but it is missing app controlled resistance.

When you train for power, the software figures out your FTP then sets power numbers. The trainer automatically adjusts the resistance and you just keep up cadence. If you increase cadence, the resistance drops. When you use it with zwift in power mode, you never need to shift because you are outputting whatever power the training program says (your velocity will change). The resistance depends on your cadence, not the grade of the slope. It doesnt matter how fast you pedal you wont go faster because the power is constant for a given time period of a program.

If you dont use power mode, your power would fluctuate a lot more and the resistance would be determined by grade not how fast you pedal.

I think it really depends on what his wife wants.  It doesn't necessarily sound like she wants to train based on the post (non-cyclist), more that she just wants something to exercise on.   I agree that the Kickr is great for training, and good for general riding also, but if she just wants a spin bike to ride on for general exercise while watching a movie or something, the Peloton might lend itself better to that.

50 minutes ago, fontarin said:

I think it really depends on what his wife wants.  It doesn't necessarily sound like she wants to train based on the post (non-cyclist), more that she just wants something to exercise on.   I agree that the Kickr is great for training, and good for general riding also, but if she just wants a spin bike to ride on for general exercise while watching a movie or something, the Peloton might lend itself better to that.

She can do the same thing on a kickr, while saving around $1000 and getting app controlled resistance with other apps. The mountain biker will be able to use a kickr much easier than a peloton for zwift and other apps.  Kickrs are available used for about $600-$650.

(I think) Peloton digital has cadence, heart rate, and the full video library plus live classes.

57 minutes ago, crazyt said:

She can do the same thing on a kickr, while saving around $1000 and getting app controlled resistance with other apps. The mountain biker will be able to use a kickr much easier than a peloton for zwift and other apps.  Kickrs are available used for about $600-$650.

(I think) Peloton digital has cadence, heart rate, and the full video library plus live classes.

I agree - just concerned as a non-cyclist she might not be as comfortable on a normal road/mtb, which I'm assuming they'll also need to buy, so that adds a little cost (assuming she doesn't fit on his).