IGNORED

E-Bike love?

TheX

I'm trying to figure out how to enforce this new "Ban all SS'rs"

It wouldn't be effective enough to just mandate that all MTB's have a derailleur. there would have to be some type of analytics software that show recent movement, then uploaded to the authorities? 

Of course the fines levied should be severe enough as well.

A lot to ponder here

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

I'm trying to figure out how to enforce this new "Ban all SS'rs"

It wouldn't be effective enough to just mandate that all MTB's have a derailleur. there would have to be some type of analytics software that show recent movement, then uploaded to the authorities? 

Of course the fines levied should be severe enough as well.

A lot to ponder here

I didnt know the SS hate was so strong here. Should just combine that with ebike hate. I am going to start riding an E-SS now.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, csmceuen said:

What do you have against single speeds man? Best day of your life is quite the assertion and I sense some deeply set hatred is present. Were you run over by a single speeder as a child? Maybe your family dog?

It was a joke hidden in hyperbole 

You never have to ask if someone rides a single speed, they'll tell you within the first 30 seconds of meeting them.......

😁

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ebflo said:

Your assertion that an e-bike is "pedal propelled"  because it won't move without the pedals is flawed. One example illustrating the flaw: the fact that my car also does not move without the pedals does not make it "pedal propelled".

Whether an e-bike is "pedal propelled", and by extension, whether it meets the definition of a bicycle, is a little more nuanced. It *can* be pedal propelled, but it can also be propelled by a motor. However, it is not the first vehicle with this property, such vehicles in the past have been classified as mopeds. The main difference between an e-bike and a traditional moped is that an e-bike's motor is controlled by force on the pedals instead of by a hand-operated control. I view the method by which the motor is controlled as a triviality, and therefore, still consider e-bikes as a type of moped.

Of course this is all just pedantic wankery, as none of these technicalities or semantic gymnastics have anything to do with whether e-bikes should be ridden on any particular trail.

"...this is all just pedantic wankery...".

Yes.

Yes it most certainly is.

Here's something far more useful...

15 minutes ago, ebflo said:

By your logic we should eat kittens. Seriously, how did you jump to that?

Kittens might make good tacos, who knows? Baby goats do, after all. (queue the resident @spicewookiefor professional input)

How did I get to that you ask ...

E-bike is essentially a bionic set of legs for a rider. Makes a less muscular rider capable of doing things that require more strength than they can produce. Whatever strength they input is amplified at some ratio determined by the program.

If the above is true, outlawing E-bikes because of concern over potential damage to trails, or any other concerns along those lines would be equally applicable to any rider with high leg strength as well.

All other arguments for outlawing them, made by riders, seem to be more ego-based. "Why should they be able to do something that I had to work hard to achieve?" being the primary complaint I read from that camp.

Regulation for preventing bruised egos isn't a good idea. There's just too many ways to bruise a fragile ego to account for them all through regulation.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

You never have to ask if someone rides a single speed, they'll tell you within the first 30 seconds of meeting them.......

This is all too true. When you drop gears I think your ego inflates proportionally by a value equal to the gears lost. I am working on funding for a scientific study to back my hypothesis, but until then it is merely conjecture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have a full squish, a hardtail, a SS hardtail and a fully rigid urban SS. The urban SS gets the most mileage but mostly because it is my knock around bike and it does the longer exercise rides. The full squish gets most of its action on the EB and road trips like Bentonville. The hardtail is just for fun. The hardtail SS is the favorite bike of the bunch. More fun than a big travel bike (for me).

Most SS riders have multiple bikes, I'd be willing to bet that most singlespeeds are bought as second bikes, so there is a fallacy that someone will tell you in 30 seconds that they ride one because they don't always ride one. Also, I am skeptical of people with only one bike 😉

What we all need to do is come together as a community and embrace everyone's bikes and stop beating each other up.

Except fixies. Screw them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ebflo said:

Your assertion that an e-bike is "pedal propelled"  because it won't move without the pedals is flawed. One example illustrating the flaw: the fact that my car also does not move without the pedals does not make it "pedal propelled".

Whether an e-bike is "pedal propelled", and by extension, whether it meets the definition of a bicycle, is a little more nuanced. It *can* be pedal propelled, but it can also be propelled by a motor. However, it is not the first vehicle with this property, such vehicles in the past have been classified as mopeds. The main difference between an e-bike and a traditional moped is that an e-bike's motor is controlled by force on the pedals instead of by a hand-operated control. I view the method by which the motor is controlled as a triviality, and therefore, still consider e-bikes as a type of moped.

Of course this is all just pedantic wankery, as none of these technicalities or semantic gymnastics have anything to do with whether e-bikes should be ridden on any particular trail.

My original comment about both bikes going the same speed without pedals was meant to be a little tongue in cheek. It's not the presence of a "pedal", but the act of "pedalling" that propels the bike (pedal assisted or not). So yeah, it is all pedantic wankery, but it's kind of important when you are trying to define boundaries which would exclude certain users.

The fact is, Seth's definition of a bicycle was meant to be stated as a definitive line in the sand, but it did not have the term "100% human pedal propelled". It just said "pedal propelled". An e-bike is pedal propelled because the act of pedalling propels it. You cannot ride an e-bike without pedalling unless it is modified to the point where it would fall outside the definition. If you could make it go without pedalling it would be an electric moped. 

28 minutes ago, notyal said:

...but it's kind of important when you are trying to define boundaries which would exclude certain users.

The fact is, Seth's definition of a bicycle was meant to be stated as a definitive line in the sand, but it did not have the term "100% human pedal propelled". It just said "pedal propelled". An e-bike is pedal propelled because the act of pedalling propels it. You cannot ride an e-bike without pedalling unless it is modified to the point where it would fall outside the definition. If you could make it go without pedalling it would be an electric moped. 

And there it is.

Maybe it's just years of my pursuing understanding of what people are trying to say when they write stuff... Or just common sense... But that's exactly what I thought was kind of obvious when I read your original comment.

An e-bike is not a moped.

An e-bike is assisted human pedalling driven... A moped is all mechanical engine driven.

That obvious stuff aside...

If I ride in one gear all the time... Even though I'm riding with a multi-gear drivetrain... Can I claim to be riding single speed?

16 hours ago, AustinBike said:

most singlespeeds are bought as second bikes, so there is a fallacy that someone will tell you in 30 seconds 

Perhaps but let's count how many times we see "my singlespeed" when "my bike" would fit perfectly fine in the context of the discussion 😂.

• Like 1