IGNORED

Any trails rideable this weekend?

crankin

The wife and I were doing some fat bike urban Saturday morning and went by Walnut. The place is a huge mess. And unfortunately we saw tire tracks leading into singletrack, so we are likely to have ruts in places when the trail becomes ridable again. The wide gravel path down to the creek looked great so we dropped down to see the creek. But even that path started getting messy at the end. I'm not sure where all the foot traffic was going too/from, but pretty much every hiker had very muddy shoes and dogs. 

• Sad 1

I think with the greater use of parks, increased access due to paved path, and multiple crossings of dirt trails and paved paths, we're going to need more education at the bike shops, regular stores that carry bikes, and more signs.  I kind of wonder about transplants to Austin not being aware that our trails are more sensitive to rain.  I got to ride in Colorado, got caught in a rain storm and the trails hold up really well.  Is Austin unique, or among the more unique places as far as sensitivity to trail damage after rain?

• Like 1

I have found the ability of trails at be ridden soon after rain to be trail system to system and not really region to region. We had one place in central NY which was every bit as hydrophobic as RPR. You could ride during the rain and not damage the trail. But 30 minutes away everything was soft and easily damaged--you had to wait days. Sort of the dame story with Walnut and RPR. 

The interesting thing about RPR, it ain't just the gneiss rock which is ridable when wet, but the surrounding singletrack as well. It is just really well draining soil in the immediate vicinity. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Barry said:

I have found the ability of trails at be ridden soon after rain to be trail system to system and not really region to region. 

I think this is true. Folks will say that Walnut and Brushy Creek are not good to go, but the SATN will be, for example. I feel we south Austin people are lucky in that regard.

I'm contemplating my options for Monday, as I'm getting back some work time from last Sunday.

Considering Reimers, SATN (never been), Madrone, Flat Rock, RPR, or someplace I have either not seen in a while or have not ridden at all.

Heck, even Walnut might be a possibility. How busy is the park on a workday? I haven't been there in years.

1 minute ago, Ridenfool said:

Heck, even Walnut might be a possibility. How busy is the park on a workday? 

That's about the only time I'll ride Walnut!  Did a full lap Wednesday out there starting around 10:30am.  Much better than trying to ride on the weekend or weekdays during the evening! 

..Al 

I’ve never been to rpr but this will be the third weekend I’ve been rained out for a mountain bike ride so I’m thinking of making the drive. With the large amount of rain from last night, is it possible rpr could be ready for a ride Sunday? 

Scott
RPR didn't get much if any rain last night, and the trails would have been open if it had. RPR will be fine this morning. You'll barely get a dirt on your bike.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

I'm contemplating my options for Monday, as I'm getting back some work time from last Sunday.

Considering Reimers, SATN (never been), Madrone, Flat Rock, RPR, or someplace I have either not seen in a while or have not ridden at all.

Heck, even Walnut might be a possibility. How busy is the park on a workday? I haven't been there in years.

You'll need to check with RPR as normally they are only open for riding Fri-Sun. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

throet is correct that RPR is usually closed on Monday, so you'll need to check. But Flat Rock will be open and likely quite dry. I'm not as confident about Pedernales.  

• Like 1