IGNORED

Will shop be mad if I bought my bike online?

So long as you're paying for the service, it does not matter. I worked in bike shops for six years and we never got upset about that. What do you need "set up"?

I've build dozens and dozens of new bikes out if the box from various manufacturers. Doing it right is not difficult, but it's a little more involved than the manufacturer might lead you to believe.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 4fun said:

I’ve now bought 5 bikes online and all have taken less than a hour for me to set up on my own! They typically come 90% put together and all you do is put handlebars, front wheel, seat post and pedals on

I didn't realize it was that easy!

I haven't bought anything yet but I'm still looking around at hard tails.

Neighbors bought a bike for their kid online and I offered to set it up. Took me less than 30 minutes including unboxing and getting rid of the box. They came over to pick it up and brought 2 really nice bottles of cabernet. At that rate I was probably paid ~$150/hour or so for my work. And the kid's bike was set up right.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tomreece said:

I didn't realize it was that easy!

I haven't bought anything yet but I'm still looking around at hard tails.

Agreed with others here, anything like YT, Canyon, Commencal, or the likes of reputable direct to consumer bike companies make it extremely easy to get up and running. Your standard bike tool set, shock pump, torque wrench, and a 6 pack of decent beer will do the trick just fine. Note that many of the direct to consumer brands are even including a shock pump and a torque wrench, so those would make things even easier on you. 

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Neighbors bought a bike for their kid online and I offered to set it up. Took me less than 30 minutes including unboxing and getting rid of the box. They came over to pick it up and brought 2 really nice bottles of cabernet. At that rate I was probably paid ~$150/hour or so for my work. And the kid's bike was set up right.

I'm thinking that wasn't in an East Austin neighborhood.

Althought... The way things are headed... It well could be.

• Confused 1

youtube videos will be very helpful. You might not have all the tools so factor in having to go out and buy tools.

Most of the assembly should just be hex wrenches as the cassette and rings should already be installed. But pedals probably wont be so you will need the right size pedal wrench (or hex wrench).

Pedals probably don't even come with the bike so there's also that to check on. Certainly not good pedals. Most pedals install with a 8mm anyway from what I remember of the last few bikes I built. I ride clipless though (sorry not sorry) maybe flats still use the wrench?

If you don't have one I'd recommend even a cheap torque wrench. Small aluminum and carbon parts don't respond well to over tightening and stripping isn't as fun as it sounds.

1 hour ago, fontarin said:

We're clearly doing something wrong, then.

I'm blaming the heat of this Summer.

Plus, all the Winter/Spring rain demoralizing us.

We've lost our Mojo spirit due to influences beyond our control.

Reduced to behaving like polite people participating without our usual pluck.

We need inspiration!

Yeah, that's the ticket ...