IGNORED

Forum suggestions

olddbrider

First of all, thanks so much Al for getting this up and running.  It's sad to see MoJo and VooDoo go down in flames, but I guess it had a good run...  A couple of things I had questions about as I was setting up my account:

• I don't see a way to add a sig line.  Maybe I'm missing it...
  • Is there a way to port over "important" threads?  Because, you know, ParrotBoy, Aquariums for sale, and so on...
  • Is Austin VooDoo dead, or can it be resurrected on the new site?
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

First of all, thanks so much Al for getting this up and running.  It's sad to see MoJo and VooDoo go down in flames, but I guess it had a good run...  A couple of things I had questions about as I was setting up my account:

• Is there a way to port over "important" threads?  Because, you know, ParrotBoy, Aquariums for sale, and so on..

R&I thread - not like I go often but I like to know its going on.

I am sure there are others.

Can we have edit privileges on our contributions?

Edit: I guess we can, just not on every one for some reason. Is there a time limit that can be adjusted out, to, like, forever or something?

Edit: Looks like Spicewookie is a Moderator over here and can edit my posts and make me look really smart or......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

Can we have edit privileges on our contributions?

Edit: I guess we can, just not on every one for some reason. Is there a time limit that can be adjusted out, to, like, forever or something?

Edit: Looks like Spicewookie is a Moderator over here and can edit my posts and make me look really smart or......

I've been Wookied. Argh.

• Haha 1

Not sure what might be available, but I'd suggest creating a corresponding Facebook Group and check into what all kinds of integration there are for InvisionBB.  I know lots on here don't do the BookFaces, but a lot do as well and would be a good way to grow as well.

1 hour ago, olddbrider said:

• I don't see a way to add a sig line.  Maybe I'm missing it...
  • Is there a way to port over "important" threads?  Because, you know, ParrotBoy, Aquariums for sale, and so on...
  • Is Austin VooDoo dead, or can it be resurrected on the new site?

You're right about signatures, I have no idea where that is.  Will take a look, as I know the forum does indeed support them. 

As for porting over "important" threads.  This is something I've done in the past, but it's non-trivial, and even more so when going from a different forum.  If you're converting the entire forum from one type of forum to another, there are generally conversion scripts that can be used to do so.  These scripts pull everything over -- users, forums, posts, attachments, private messages, and so forth.  If you're just trying to move threads, you need to match up users on the new site with users on the old site.  And you certainly will not have all the people from the old site who posted in those threads registered on the new site.  

Before anything like that could even happen, though, I'd need a copy of the MoJo forum database.  I'm not sure how realistic that is at this point. 

It certainly would be possible to transplant the whole Austin VooDoo forum, but you'd have the same problems as described above.  To do it properly you'd need to migrate any accounts that were active in any VooDoo threads, while omitting users who have already registered on this site (you could try matching up via email and/or username, and neither are necessarily foolproof).  

..Al

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CooperMTB said:

Not sure what might be available, but I'd suggest creating a corresponding Facebook Group and check into what all kinds of integration there are for InvisionBB.  I know lots on here don't do the BookFaces, but a lot do as well and would be a good way to grow as well.

I did create a Twitter account and a Facebook Page, but haven't done anything with them yet.  I'll be working with a designer to make a proper logo and some nice graphics that I can use for those other platforms.  A group would work well also.  This forum has excellent integration with Twitter and Facebook.  Right now you can login with Twitter or Facebook accounts, and you should be able to share posts directly from the forum to those sites.  It's not something I've explored yet, but I will. 

..Al

10 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

Good wallpaper for the site...

Thank you!  I am collecting images like this and will sort through them to see which work well at the top of the page.  Will probably have to wait until I have a proper logo graphic for the site.

7 minutes ago, lachrimae said:

Small niggle...  but any chance the sites' icon could be more than just black?

It's currently invisible in the bookmarks bar with a dark browser theme (until mouse-over):

qoveV1u.png

That's what I get for using a black graphic with a transparent background.  Which looks good in the browser tab (since you don't see the white around the sprocket), but against a black background it'll be invisible.  Yes, I will fix that, thanks for pointing it out. 

3 hours ago, csmceuen said:

It would be nice to still have the stickied threads at the top as well as having some sort of for sale thread for parts and possibly a separate one for bikes similar to mojo.

Yeah.  And this time we need one that goes something like, "Please do not ask for a map, as a punch in the mouth often offends."

🙂

-cls

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrTheCatLady said:

Yeah.  And this time we need one that goes something like, "Please do not ask for a map, as a punch in the mouth often offends."

🙂

-cls

I keep telling you that the map is here - https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=c069f13f4f1a4260b8694a2cb30b5880

If it is not on that map - it does not exist. At least not in the City of Austin.

• Like 1