IGNORED

Forum suggestions

olddbrider

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Albert, now that I know what that icon means, I think it's adequate and no further changes are needed.  Thanks!

Great, glad that's working for you.  I'm still going to play around with the colors so unread threads stand out more easily, so I'm glad you brought that up.  

..Al

I'm on a forum that has multiple "like" buttons.

Like, Love, Agree, Wow!, Funny, and Informative

The little bar below the person's post will list it that way, "2 likes, 4 agrees, 1 funny" etc.  It is helpful because it more accurately reflexes how you feel about a post. I frequently don't want to just "Like" something here, because I don't "like" what the post is telling us, that a certain area is being shut down by the BCP for example, but I want to acknowledge the poster for posting that information.

Maybe we could have a "That's dumb" button in addition!

• Like 1

If you move your mouse over the Like (thumbs up) button, a small popup should appear giving you four additional choices.  Right now those are "Thanks", "Haha", "Confused", and "Sad".  Once a post has some sort of "Like" applied to it, you can then click the icons to the left of the thumb to see who reacted in what way. 

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One little thing if it's easy to change. When you click on the little speech bubbles icon on a thread, it takes you to the first unread post (awesome). When you click on the exact same looking icon next to a forum, it marks all topics as "read". This action is not reversible and is basically the opposite of taking you to the first unread because after doing so, you have no reference which thread you have read and which posts are new. Is it possible to remove the "mark as read" icon or at least make it look different?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notyal said:

One little thing if it's easy to change. When you click on the little speech bubbles icon on a thread, it takes you to the first unread post (awesome). When you click on the exact same looking icon next to a forum, it marks all topics as "read". This action is not reversible and is basically the opposite of taking you to the first unread because after doing so, you have no reference which thread you have read and which posts are new. Is it possible to remove the "mark as read" icon or at least make it look different?

You're right, that does seem like a pretty stupid design decision.  I think that's always how it's worked with Invision's forum software.  It does seem ridiculous that they used the same icons at a different size that visually represent the same thing (shows you if there are new messages in those forums/threads), but the action is completely different.  Let me think about that.  I'm also going to see if I can hunt down any discussions about this very subject on their official support forum. 

..Al

• Like 1

8 hours ago, notyal said:

I was coming here to give the exact same feedback.

Admin, could add a forum in the for sale category similar to the "pay it forward" thread on mojo? I looked and didn't see anything like that on here (maybe is missed it) and think it would be helpful to post bike related items that are taking up space in the garage that i'd either give away or trade.

Keep up the good work

M

2 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Admin, could add a forum in the for sale category similar to the "pay it forward" thread on mojo? I looked and didn't see anything like that on here (maybe is missed it) and think it would be helpful to post bike related items that are taking up space in the garage that i'd either give away or trade.

Yes, I'm definitely going to do that.  I started a similar forum on my other site recently, as there had been several "Share the love..." threads over the years, some rather long.  It's easier to deal with in a forum where people can start and maintain their own topics.  Much easier to see what's actually available, as opposed to foraging around a thread that could potentially be over 100 pages in time.. 

Thanks for the suggestion, and glad you're enjoying the forum!

..Al

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 2:17 PM, Albert said:

You're right, that does seem like a pretty stupid design decision.  I think that's always how it's worked with Invision's forum software.  It does seem ridiculous that they used the same icons at a different size that visually represent the same thing (shows you if there are new messages in those forums/threads), but the action is completely different.  Let me think about that.  I'm also going to see if I can hunt down any discussions about this very subject on their official support forum. 

..Al

Dammit. I did it again today. Marked the whole Mountain Biking forum "read" on accident. Is seems a bit trivial at first, but now I will probably abandon many of the topics I have been saving for later instead of participation in the discussion. That really sucks.

Do you have access to the source code? It is just a Font Awesome icon. If you could, find it, it could easily be changed from <i class="fa fa-comments"> to "fa fa-book" (which would display a book as in "read"). Finding it is the hard part. 

Thanks for your hard work!

I'll look at this later today.  Changing it is fairly easy.  However, if I alter this behavior it will then differ from the thousands of other Invision forums out there that all behave the same way.  This includes another forum I have been running on the same software for over a decade at this point, and I haven't had anyone complain (or it's been very rare) about accidentally marking forums as read.  Although I'm sure it happens. 

As I stated above, I think it's a boneheaded move on their part.  Especially as there is a "Mark forum as read" link once you open a forum up.  I certainly do not want people accidentally marking forums as "Unread" and then not catching up on threads and interacting with them because at that point it becomes more of a hassle than it's worth.  So let me dig into it a bit before I go ahead and make that change. 

Thanks for the feedback, 

..Al

2 hours ago, notyal said:

Dammit. I did it again today. Marked the whole Mountain Biking forum "read" on accident. Is seems a bit trivial at first, but now I will probably abandon many of the topics I have been saving for later instead of participation in the discussion. That really sucks.

On the mobile interface, at least on my Android phone running Chrome, a warning pops up giving you a chance to cancel marking the thread as Read. How is that being invoked? 

2 hours ago, Albert said:

I'll look at this later today.  Changing it is fairly easy.  However, if I alter this behavior it will then differ from the thousands of other Invision forums out there that all behave the same way.  This includes another forum I have been running on the same software for over a decade at this point, and I haven't had anyone complain (or it's been very rare) about accidentally marking forums as read.  Although I'm sure it happens. 

As I stated above, I think it's a boneheaded move on their part.  Especially as there is a "Mark forum as read" link once you open a forum up.  I certainly do not want people accidentally marking forums as "Unread" and then not catching up on threads and interacting with them because at that point it becomes more of a hassle than it's worth.  So let me dig into it a bit before I go ahead and make that change. 

Thanks for the feedback, 

..Al

I understand. I'm really not trying to complain about it. I don't think changing the icon in the way I mentioned would alter behavior one bit. The warning would be just as good. 

I found the code responsible for displaying the popup on mobile devices and not doing so on other devices..

if( ips.utils.events.isTouchDevice() ) {
                ips.ui.alert.show( {
                    type: 'confirm',
                    icon: 'question',
                    callbacks: {
                        ok: function () {
                            execMark();
                        }
                    }
                });
            } else {
                execMark();
            } 

Unfortunately, this code is in a massive (2MB!) 'javascript.xml' file that is compiled and put into the database.  I have not yet figured out a way to force the forum to recompile this file so the database is updated with my changes.  Once I do, a confirmation should always appear when clicking one of those icons, regardless of what kind of device you are using. 

..Al

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2018 at 9:44 PM, Albert said:

I found the code responsible for displaying the popup on mobile devices and not doing so on other devices..

if( ips.utils.events.isTouchDevice() ) {
                ips.ui.alert.show( {
                    type: 'confirm',
                    icon: 'question',
                    callbacks: {
                        ok: function () {
                            execMark();
                        }
                    }
                });
            } else {
                execMark();
            } 

Unfortunately, this code is in a massive (2MB!) 'javascript.xml' file that is compiled and put into the database.  I have not yet figured out a way to force the forum to recompile this file so the database is updated with my changes.  Once I do, a confirmation should always appear when clicking one of those icons, regardless of what kind of device you are using. 

..Al

You are awesome. 

11 hours ago, notyal said:

You are awesome. 

Not until I get it to work.  I've been given pointers by Invision staff on how to do this the proper way, but now I will need to setup a local development version of the forum.  Which will make it easier for me to make additional modifications down the road. 

..Al

How about another section under Mountain Biking called MTB Destinations? I've started compiling input from this thread and the old Mojo thread to create sort of an MTB destination guide, specific to travel from Austin. Each new thread would represent a destination, starting with a post showing the google travel map and driving hours, along with some general information on the area trails. Once a Destination thread is posted with the standard opening structure, then it could be opened up for further input / insights based on specific experiences of the ATMB audience. If this is something you think is worthwhile, I'm happy to spend some time getting it started.

There has been an abundance of great info posted on various destinations, but because it is strewn across multiple general threads (mostly still on Mojo), it requires extensive digging and searching to go back and find the relevant pieces when you are thinking about taking a trip. By organizing in the manner I'm suggesting, a simple visit to the MTB Destination section would deliver easy access to organized information regarding the various destinations. We can start with everything that is within a day's drive of Austin since that has been a hot topic, but can also expand to include ALL MTB destinations that have been visited going forward.     

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Albert said:

Great idea!  I've created a new MTB Destinations forum.   I'll look to see if there are any relevant threads to move into this new forum. 

Thanks, 

..Al

Thanks. I was thinking though that before you just start placing random posts into it, we could organize the threads as noted in my suggestion above? Is that workable? If so I'm happy to get started on that given the appropriate permissions. 

4 hours ago, throet said:

Thanks. I was thinking though that before you just start placing random posts into it, we could organize the threads as noted in my suggestion above? Is that workable? If so I'm happy to get started on that given the appropriate permissions. 

@Albert take a look at the first 2 threads I started. Thought it would be handy to include the drive time in the actual thread topic, although I should have stayed consistent with my formatting. Anyway, I included the google map and the MTB Projects link for each respective area as a starting post. Figured for each area, we could then start dumping in posts regarding trails to ride, places to stay, places to eat, etc. If you like this approach, I'll move forward with threads for Bentonville, Mountain View (AR), Big Bend, Santa Fe (NM), Angel Fire (NM), Tucson (AZ), and Colorado Springs. These are all destinations that can be easily reached with a day's drive (13 hours or less).  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, throet said:

@Albert take a look at the first 2 threads I started. Thought it would be handy to include the drive time in the actual thread topic, although I should have stayed consistent with my formatting. Anyway, I included the google map and the MTB Projects link for each respective area as a starting post. Figured for each area, we could then start dumping in posts regarding trails to ride, places to stay, places to eat, etc. If you like this approach, I'll move forward with threads for Bentonville, Mountain View (AR), Big Bend, Santa Fe (NM), Angel Fire (NM), Tucson (AZ), and Colorado Springs. These are all destinations that can be easily reached with a day's drive (13 hours or less).  

Looks great, thank you for starting all those threads!

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, csmceuen said:

Is there a rules section that I am missing? I.E. not posting about illegal trails. Seen a couple mentioned now on here and it would be good to have a reminder for those that forget.

I need to add that to the rules, and also post it as a sticky in the main Mountain Biking Discussion thread.  Thanks for the reminder. 

..Al

• Like 2