IGNORED

Forum suggestions

olddbrider

Is there a way to go beyond the "ignore posts" feature to include a "ignore threads" feature? I can ignore individual posts on a thread from a particular user, but I still see the threads that the ignored user posts. They don't need to be blocked from the site (yet). But I would like to block them from my experience on the site. 🙂

If not, no worries. I just wanted to know if it was a possibility.

Edited by Teamsloan
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

Is there a way to go beyond the "ignore posts" feature to include a "ignore threads" feature? I can ignore individual posts on a thread from a particular user, but I still see the threads that the ignored user posts. They don't need to be blocked from the site (yet). But I would like to block them from my experience on the site. 🙂

How about we create a new section/forum just for this particular user, where he can post his click bait/useless threads all day long and people can chose to visit his little world if desired. He can still reply to other's threads in the 'Mountain Biking Discussions' thread though. A good chunk of his threads only include himself anyway.

win/win?

Edited by GFisher
section/forum
  • Like 2

I'm not sure we're talking about the same user, but that seems like a waste of server space. I just want to know if there's the option for me to conveniently avoid the distraction while still enjoying the rest of the site that I find valuable. If other users could benefit from that same ability, then it could be a very useful feature on this site.

5 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

I'm not sure we're talking about the same user, but that seems like a waste of server space. I just want to know if there's the option for me to conveniently avoid the distraction while still enjoying the rest of the site that I find valuable. If other users could benefit from that same ability, then it could be a very useful feature on this site.

Who else could it be. 😉 I don't mean a whole new site, just another section under Mountain Biking. Mountain Biking Discussion, Ride Calls, MTB Destinations, RA's threads, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teamsloan said:

I just paid $15 to purchase an "Ignore Topics" plugin for the forum, which I have installed.  You'll now see an "Ignore this topic" button near the top of the page when viewing any topics.  If you click this button and confirm, you'll no longer see the topic at the forum level or in search results.  You can manage your Ignored Topics here: 

https://austinmountainbiking.com/index.php?/settings/ignoredtopics/

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

36 minutes ago, GFisher said:

How about we create a new section/forum just for this particular user, where he can post his click bait/useless threads all day long and people can chose to visit his little world if desired. He can still reply to other's threads in the 'Mountain Biking Discussions' thread though. A good chunk of his threads only include himself anyway.

win/win?

That's not going to happen, but feel free to report posts/topics you feel are "click bait/useless" and don't contribute positively to the site and I can evaluate them on an individual basis.  

Thanks, 

..Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

That would rip me off the bike the first time I ride by a tree in Peddler's Pass. 

I had a hard fall off my bike when the rain jacket in my jersey pocket came out and got tangled in my wheel.  It was a slow motion realization and wrangling-the-Bike moment before I opted for the soft wet grass rather than trying to save it and end up on the pavement or curb. So I think capes would definitely be dangerous!

I just paid $15 to purchase an "Ignore Topics" plugin for the forum, which I have installed.  You'll now see an "Ignore this topic" button near the top of the page when viewing any topics.  If you click this button and confirm, you'll no longer see the topic at the forum level or in search results.  You can manage your Ignored Topics here: 
 ..Al

Already using it. I was so stoked to find it that I kept asking myself “...why didn’t I see that before today?” Now if we can just get people to stop falling into the trap of discussions that have no value, we’d be getting somewhere.

Al - I will investigate how to be a paid supporter of this site. You provide value my man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

Already using it. I was so stoked to find it that I kept asking myself “...why didn’t I see that before today?” Now if we can just get people to stop falling into the trap of discussions that have no value, we’d be getting somewhere.

Yep, if I couldn't see quotes from the ONE person I have ever ignored on any forum, ever! I wouldn't even know he was here.

16 hours ago, Albert said:

..Al

Holy crap, that works GREAT!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2019 at 4:55 PM, Albert said:

That's not going to happen, but feel free to report posts/topics you feel are "click bait/useless" and don't contribute positively to the site and I can evaluate them on an individual basis.  

Thanks, 

..Al

If it is an option available to Admin, could you monitor threads that have been Ignored, counting how many ignored it as one means of detecting less useful contributions?

Just now, Ridenfool said:

If it is an option available to Admin, could you monitor threads that have been Ignored, counting how many ignored it as one means of detecting less useful contributions?

I don't think there's a nice user interface for doing tihs, but I can certainly run a direct database query to sort topics by how any people are ignoring them.  

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 8:28 PM, AntonioGG said:

I love this new feature, but I have a question:  Are y'all still seeing each section marked as having unread items even though everything you see has been read?

Yes, it seems that even if I've ignored a topic in a section and it gets new posts I won't see it but the forum section will show as unread. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...