IGNORED

Bluff Creek Ranch - Warda Trail Conditions

Ridenfool

Took a spin out there today and the trail is in excellent condition. The first woods section is windy and has just enough ups and downs to keep things interesting. It is always a treat. Exiting, I weaved through the Longhorns laying down imitating that bull Lyle Lovett sings about chasing the shade all day. The banked turn at the bottom of Gas Pass (formerly "Shit Yer Pants" trail) was new to me. I have to remember to carry more speed next time. Climbed out of the creek after a while and then came back down Mule Trace. Caught a refreshing light rain while in the Oil Well pasture. After that it was across the suspension bridge, up Palisades, on through Roller Coasters and done.

After hitting the bike wash and loading up I noticed how one of my beers, a Shiner Ruby Redbird, seemed to be in distress and getting warm. Being trained in beer first aid this was concerning to me and I felt it needed immediate attention. So, I bought a frozen Longhorn Sirloin to toss on top of it and get that crisis under control.  It was close I tell ya, real close.

Warda always delivers a fun trail, mostly because it is a different kind of fun, it is well maintained. I've been riding out there since just after it opened. That was the first MTB trail I rode, and that set the foundation for, shit, a quarter century or so of riding at the first MTB ranch in beautiful Wardy, Tejas.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting on an e-mail from Kathy.  The closest weather station shows only a little bit of rain last weekend, and a tiny bit (0.01") this week.  But rain is expected tonight and tomorrow.  Not that much, but from what John said, it seems like it's all super-saturated and swamped like in 2010.

• Like 1

From Kathy (this applies to Dirty Dozen race only):

It isn’t as wet as 2010, because it has had all week to dry. But there are some definite mud spots. I did three reroutes around the really bad stuff, but you still have to cross the creek and the other side of the creek is yucky.

I took out the the climb and back down Mule trace, I took out the far back meadow (so you turn around before the oil well, and I took out one section up near the rollercoasters (before you get to the fun roller coasters that was a bog).

• Albert changed the title to Bluff Creek Ranch - Warda Trail Conditions
  • 1 year later...

Not sure this is entirely the right place for this, but anyway- I'm planning on meeting a friend from Katy somewhere halfway to go for a ride. He's a beginner (I'm guessing he probably messed about on a bmx or mountain bike when he was kid, like everyone else). It looks like this would be a pretty good choice to take a new rider?

Also, the Bluff Creek Ranch website looks like it's just trails and camping out there. If I brought my family with me would there be anything for them to do (five yr old twins) while I went for a ride, or would it be best for them to stay home?

The twins might be bored.  There are longhorn cattle all over the place and a pond.  I think people fish, not sure if they swim there (I wouldn't).  Trails are good for beginners IMO.  Just make sure he's good on brake modulation before you go down gas pass.

• Thanks 1

My kids are much older than 5 yrs now (18,16 & 11), but we've been using Warda as our go-to camping spot for years.  We always camp right beside Turkey Tank Pond.  Often times there is a canoe onsite and my kids have swam in the pond with no issues.  Likewise, we've caught many fish in the same pond.  Besides MTB riding, the ranch is also good for hiking.  The Bluff area has great terrain for exploring but it might be a bit much for a 5 yr old YMMV.  We've even brought BB guns and done some tin-can shooting.  In short, we really love the place and have found it fun for family, friends and cyclists alike.

Later,
CJB

PS- as far as riding goes, there is a good amount of trail that is ok for a beginning.  This is especially so with the trail system towards the front (right) of the ranch.

• Thanks 1

Made it out to Bluff Creek on Saturday- it looked like a storm came within about 500 yards of the property but didn’t quite get there, so it was bone dry. Pretty spot, and a nice change of scenery.

It worked pretty well as a place to take a beginner too, my friend’s main issue was probably fitness, think he had a good time overall though.