IGNORED

Proper PPE required

taco_junkie

Swapping a tube in the wife's bike and had a blowout around 90 psi. Now I have even more hearing damage. Followed all the same procedures I usually do for a tube swap. Just one of those fluke things I guess. Don't know if you can tell from the image but it split down a seam somehow. That tire is really loose on the rim. It took almost no effort to get the bead on after getting the tube in. Maybe the bead slipped over the rim instead of seating?

IMG_20190718_191352.thumb.jpg.7df04b8b6e1a1915b8b74bc273d21f9f.jpg

What brand of tube?  I had 2-3 Forte tubes split down a seam before.

Things that have caused a blow out for me:

1. pinched tube
  2. twisted tube
  3. defective tube

On another person, I saw a blowout when they hadn't realize the tire had a good size slit, and the tube poked out of that slit.

Brand was Foundation. Just some cheap stuff for my wife's veloway laps.

2 out of 3 tubes (maybe) had failures. One mystery leak with no corresponding mark in the tire and one blow out. When re-seating a tire I air up to ~40psi then back down to 0 before going all the way up to riding pressure to combat pinches and twists but who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm gun shy on the high pressure pump now 🤣

I put tube in with some air in it (just enough to have it not twisted but not at any pressure), then inflate to 30psi or something low like that, then I go all the way around pulling the bead away from the rim to make sure there's no tube poking out from under it.  Then I go full pressure.   Full pressure for me now is whatever it needs to get a 15% sidewall compression with rider and full kit.  It's lower than traditional max pressures.

Not blowouts, but I've also had cheap tubes leak from where the valve is bonded to the rubber.  One time I went through 2-3 tubes before I realized the new wheel did not come with tape installed.

Yup the tube has to have some air in it just to get it in the tire correctly for sure. I didn't do the pinch all around the edges thing this time. I've been getting complacent maybe. This brand did seem to be pre-powered so that was nice. Save that baby talc for another day.

Full pressure for me now at ~190lbs on 25c is between 95 and 100 psi. Probably still what some consider high. Back in the day I was a bit lighter and rolling on 22-23c tires but I probably ran 120-125psi. Riding chip seal and jumping cattle guards on aluminum bikes 😬

at 195-210lbs I ran 90-95 front and 105-110 rear on 25c.  I ride 28's now...as low as 70psi front and 85psi rear.  Sooo nice!

Yes, I got complacent at some point until I blew a tube on Great Hills at 360 in the first 5 miles of a ride to Bastrop.  Since then I don't skip that step.