IGNORED

Handicapped Parking Hoarders

TheX

I have a placard for my wife, but we always try to take open regular spots near the front if possible so that we can leave the handicapped spots open for others that may need them. Seems like common sense to me, but...

There are some people that I see at the gym every morning that have DV license plates and have the right to use these spots. Without fail, they take up the few spots available, even though there are plenty of open spots RIGHT NEXT TO THEM! By the time I'm leaving the gym 90 minutes later, the parking lot is filling up and those spots would be nice to have for people that really need them. The people that are taking the spots are NOT in wheelchairs or on crutches. That doesn't mean they don't need to be up front, but they can take the spot next to the one they grab and only have to walk 10 extra feet.

Sorry, rant over.

• Like 1

Many treat these plates as an entitlement. They choose to ignore the fact that you’re only supposed to use the space when the person with the handicap is in the vehicle.

Pisses me off after growing up watching a senior family member struggle many times when I was young to get his daughter with cerebral palsy in/out of a car because some jerk had parked in the handicap spot. Try getting a person in a vehicle while parked on a high curb with heavy traffic on the opposite side.

The real “people are self entitled assholes” part is you can and many do get these for non-physical issues!? People seriously could not believe that my parents had never applied for one because I have an autistic sibling. He has no physical reason to need one. People these days really truly think they should be given this as a “perk” for having an autistic child. Call them on it and see the backlash of social media’s “they have it hard” mafia. People suck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Never would I have thought that I would have some input on this issue.  4 months ago my Dr prescribed a handicap placard for me.  It was really hard to accept the fact that I would be needing one, personally.  I am super grateful that he did.   Walking some distances does me in, pretty easily.  Middle of my treatment, I was dropped off at the front door, cause all the handicap spots were taken, I didn't make it a 100 feet before I had issues, enough issues where I was admitted to the hospital for the night. 

So 5 weeks post treatments, and I still use mine when I can.  Walking still does me in.  I'm getting better, luckily.  What you would see as I walk in, I look pretty healthy. What you don't see is my feeding tube concealed under my shirt, my throat so raw and enflamed that I can not swallow, my inability to speak a lot of times, or the fact that my neck and shoulder barely move in certain directions.

Prior to this I was just your average late 40's mountain bike rider.  I would think nothing of riding 20-30 miles at RPR.  Walnut was a cake walk most of the time.  So just because someone is not using a wheel chair or walker, doesn't mean that all is well with them, or that they don't need that little bit of assistance.  It's the whole wear my shoes for day, and lets compare...…...

Edited by Ericbike6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheX said:

My wifes placard is for a heart condition, she can NOT walk distances. I see these people park in the handicapped spots, then go in and hop on a treadmill at a quick pace.

That's the rub. Our youngest had injury that put her in a wheel chair, then walker for some months and we got a placard. As soon as she could walk again, wife sent the placard back and told our kid to get to steppin'. 

Best are the morbidly obese people in the rascals #MAGA🤣

Edited by ATXZJ

On 8/1/2019 at 9:09 AM, Ericbike6 said:

So 5 weeks post treatments, and I still use mine when I can.  Walking still does me in.  I'm getting better, luckily.  What you would see as I walk in, I look pretty healthy. What you don't see is my feeding tube concealed under my shirt, my throat so raw and enflamed that I can not swallow, my inability to speak a lot of times, or the fact that my neck and shoulder barely move in certain directions.

Holy shit man I hope this is temporary! Will you be riding again? I really need to quit feeling sorry for myself!

I'm 3 weeks post-op after having my hamstrings reattached to my pelvis and will be on crutches for another 4 weeks. Nobody ever offered me a placard, but since it's my right leg, I can't drive anyway. 

16 minutes ago, throet said:

Holy shit man I hope this is temporary! Will you be riding again? I really need to quit feeling sorry for myself!

I'm 3 weeks post-op after having my hamstrings reattached to my pelvis and will be on crutches for another 4 weeks. Nobody ever offered me a placard, but since it's my right leg, I can't drive anyway. 

Yes Sir, that's the plan.  Haven't been off road on my bike since middle of March.  Only plus side is that I have totally rebuilt my bike, fork, shock, wheels went back to specialized for rebuilding.  and I replaced every other bearing in my bike, headset, bottom bracket, rear triangle, new brake rotors, new bar grips.  Should ride like new now!!

Presently I can do a 3 mile ride around the neighborhood.  And then take about a 2 hour nap to recover.  The hard part right now is not being able to swallow, I lost one saliva gland and duct during my first surgery, gives me killer cotton mouth.

Soon I hope to be back out there riding and getting dirty!!!

• Like 1

My wife has MS and her car has plates, and we have a placard for the rare times she rides in my truck.  MS is another of the "invisible" diseases.  Just because she doesn't look sick doesn't mean she can walk far, especially in the TX summer heat.       

• Like 1

I used one also when I broke my ankle and I was in crutches.  It was an eye opener for me to see what people with disabilities have to go through.  I needed that extra space to open the door and get the crutches out.  I found a lot of people with plates would take more than their spot which covers the ramp area.  I didn’t keep using my placard once I had the walking boot.