IGNORED

Seattle help

4fun

12 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

I had read a pro tip from an actual pro that they won't take CO2's from your carry on (pressurized cabin) so tried w/2 without the inflator. WRONG!  Forgot I had suncreen & chamois butter in the side pocket of my pack...gone. freakin' chamois butter isn't cheap!  

I think it's a stupid rule to not allow them, but they allow 4 cartridges if you buy a personal inflatable vest.  Two on the vest, 2 spares.    In the EU, they allow the cartridges, period.  

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

3 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I think it's a stupid rule to not allow them, but they allow 4 cartridges if you buy a personal inflatable vest.  Two on the vest, 2 spares.    In the EU, they allow the cartridges, period.  

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

"...you can only carry an EMPTY compressed gas cylinder onboard a plane. To be permitted (in either carry-on or checked baggage), it must be clearly visible to the TSA officer that the cylinder is empty."  

Got told by the TSA guy I could take them if I emptied them first.  😞 He was unaffected by me telling him WTF good are they empty.  It was an experiment so no biggie.  Grabbed a 5 pack from Walmart which I left at the trailhead for good bike karma before returning. 

There's a dozen + REI's nearby open later than bike shops, so I grabbed a small bottle of lube and chamois butter packets (FU TSA under 3 oz's) easily too.  

• Like 2

For my road biking trip, I didn't even bother with CO2.  I always have the frame pump on.  For MTB trips, I may just stick with the mini-pump.  I think if I'm not racing, a pump is fine. In fact, I carry both, and often use the pump "to save" the CO2 cartridges.

Also, have you ever had a dud cartridge?  Happened to me once.

@notyal, I'm living vicariously through you right now.  I loved all the riding I did during my vacation.  I hope you have a blast.  As to your fishing question, I haven't fished in years, but on my bucket list is to do some fly fishing which I've never done.  I'll probably go with a guide and rent the rods (my experience is you can get a package that has everything you need...which for a casual fisherman, I think is perfect.) 

• Like 1

Just now, AntonioGG said:

For my road biking trip, I didn't even bother with CO2.  I always have the frame pump on.  For MTB trips, I may just stick with the mini-pump.  I think if I'm not racing, a pump is fine. In fact, I carry both, and often use the pump "to save" the CO2 cartridges.

Also, have you ever had a dud cartridge?  Happened to me once.

@notyal, I'm living vicariously through you right now.  I loved all the riding I did during my vacation.  I hope you have a blast.  As to your fishing question, I haven't fished in years, but on my bucket list is to do some fly fishing which I've never done.  I'll probably go with a guide and rent the rods (my experience is you can get a package that has everything you need...which for a casual fisherman, I think is perfect.) 

I'm good with only a mini pump anyways. I'm thinking REI will be one of the first stops off the plane for on bike nutrition and various lubes and butt creams. That's the kind of stuff I have trouble NOT packing when looking around the garage the night before. 

There is nothing to worry about with pressurized tires and a fresh few oz. of sealant, right?

I leave my tires inflated as is so the rims don't possibly take a hit.  Flown bikes 6-8 times and never had them burp sealant. 

Edit: So as we're changing planes on the way back my kid looks out the window and says wow you should see the way that guy just thru your bike. 😕  EVOC bags the wheels protect the frame.  So I'd leave them inflated fully just to keep wheel from wacking frame and a rim from getting dinged.

Edited by Chongo Loco
  • Like 1

What about taking the air out of the shock, fork, and seatpost for the flight? I was thinking the fork and shock are probably fine, but if the seatpost is compressed to save space in the bag, it's probably smart to take the air out so it can't pop up right when TSA is going through my shit.

I'm leaving in 2 days. Highs in the low 60's, lows in the mid 40s. Pretty stoked.