IGNORED

Thinking of a new bike…

Nando

Thinking of a new bike:

• Fully rigid.
  • 27.5 plus or fat
  • 2.6 to 3” tires
  • 1x whatever (geared, don’t care about exact number)
  • disc brakes

To use mostly as urban bike, but also use as backup on the trail. Low budget. Discuss.

Edited by Nando
(revised for clarity)
  • Like 1

Nando, I am skipping town to go to Chicago and beat the heat. If you want to borrow my kona unit SS to get a feel for it, let me know, I can bring it to the R&I. I have ridden it on some of the WC trails as a skin(ier) tired broke, it now has some slightly fatter tires on it, but still street tires. Good solid frame that can be built up to a trail hardtail pretty fast.

54 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Nando, I am skipping town to go to Chicago and beat the heat. If you want to borrow my kona unit SS to get a feel for it, let me know, I can bring it to the R&I. I have ridden it on some of the WC trails as a skin(ier) tired broke, it now has some slightly fatter tires on it, but still street tires. Good solid frame that can be built up to a trail hardtail pretty fast.

Thank you. Din't know those could be built geared. That one is a 29er, right? 

On 8/19/2019 at 7:23 AM, bestbike85 said:

Jones Bike SWB. Nothing else. 

I've never been able to get past his crazy long chain stays. And his SWB has even longer chain stays than his original bike. I do think it would make a killer touring bike, but not a lot of singletrack fun. 

2 hours ago, Nando said:

I love it, and at that price, a good deal. But, alas, that’s about twice my budget.

Nando, what is your budget? I might have a nice steel hardtail with some decent components (SRAM x.0, Chris King wheels, etc.) that I can get in your budget. We should talk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nando said:

I love it, and at that price, a good deal. But, alas, that’s about twice my budget.

That’s fair. My next one is something you’re describing. However next year I plan to move out west into the snow, so I’m probably going to hold off this year and go full on fat bike next year. Most likely a Surly Ice Cream Truck and just rip that thing anywhere.

Edited by bestbike85
  • Like 1