IGNORED

Full face helmet at Walnut?

TheX

Having lived in the time when riding dirt bike with open face motorcycle helmets were the only option, the advent of full face helmets completely displaced open face helmets in the sport. Once they became available it was only a few years before nobody was using an open face helmet.

When I have gone to "ride park" I will bring my FOX dirt bike helmet (and a lot of other MX gear), and have never considered this an issue that took away anything from the experience.

For some time I've pondered if there is any real reason not to be wearing full face on every MTB ride. I know that BigwheelBart on Mojo had been doing so religiously after a similar faceplant and that was over a decade ago.

It always seemed to me more of a social stigma thing that prevents riders from wearing full face, bolstered by the ventilation arguments that may or may not be a significant factor. Riding dirt bikes in Texas Summer in full gear is my reference point and I can't imagine a full face helmet being something I would consider uncomfortable in comparison.

Still, I don't wear one. But know that I could easily live to regret this choice.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

Having lived in the time when riding dirt bike with open face motorcycle helmets were the only option, the advent of full face helmets completely displaced open face helmets in the sport. Once they became available it was only a few years before nobody was using an open face helmet.

When I have gone to "ride park" I will bring my FOX dirt bike helmet (and a lot of other MX gear), and have never considered this an issue that took away anything from the experience.

For some time I've pondered if there is any real reason not to be wearing full face on every MTB ride. I know that BigwheelBart on Mojo had been doing so religiously after a similar faceplant and that was over a decade ago.

It always seemed to me more of a social stigma thing that prevents riders from wearing full face, bolstered by the ventilation arguments that may or may not be a significant factor. Riding dirt bikes in Texas Summer in full gear is my reference point and I can't imagine a full face helmet being something I would consider uncomfortable in comparison.

Still, I don't wear one. But know that I could easily live to regret this choice.

We were discussing this topic in a different light the other day at the office.  The comment was that Spider Mountain's terrain is really no more difficult or challenging that significant part of the BCGB backcountry trails.  Therefore, is there really a need for FF helmet and other extra gear?  The conclusion we came to (and the similar one that I apply when riding my MX bike [say, especially at CP where I ride both MX & MTB]) is that of velocity.  At Spider Mtn (and on an MX bike) you seem to be traveling at such a greater rate of speed, with just a touch of the throttle or ease of the brake lever, and your velocity increases dramatically.  YMMV

Later, -CJB

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

With the advent of lighter full face helmets, I can totally understand someone using one on every ride. I mean, you wouldn't ride without a helmet at Walnut, right? Because you might crash, right? So is your face not terribly important to protect? 

Well you could get lucky like me! When I face planted and broke my nose a couple of years ago, it permanently fixed the deviated septum that I had suffered with my entire life. Suppose I should go full-face now to protect the fix!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, CBaron said:

True, and I guess that you are an example of how my "velocity logic" argument from above doesn't hold up.

-CJB

I think your velocity argument makes good sense but would also add that any riding that involves jumps / drops that are at the boundaries of your skill level should be done with full-face as well. With jumps and drops where there is a chance of landing front wheel first, the resulting catapulting motion, even when riding at lower speeds, can drive your face into the ground so fast that your hands are still gripping the handlebars. You can find countless examples of this on Friday Fails. 

1 hour ago, Anita Handle said:

With the advent of lighter full face helmets, I can totally understand someone using one on every ride. I mean, you wouldn't ride without a helmet at Walnut, right? Because you might crash, right? So is your face not terribly important to protect? 

I see FF helmets at Brushy once in awhile and aside from looking hot during the summertime, I don't think ill of them in any way. Nothing wrong with safety gear to protect yourself. Just because you don't crash or get hurt doesn't mean someone else doesn't either. It's the people who ride with no helmets that bug me. I saw a family riding picnic all without helmets. Mom, Dad, and what looked like their 6-7 year old daughter. None of them had a helmet. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by radiantm3

7 minutes ago, throet said:

I think your velocity argument makes good sense but would also add that any riding that involves jumps / drops that are at the boundaries of your skill level should be done with full-face as well. With jumps and drops where there is a chance of landing front wheel first, the resulting catapulting motion, even when riding at lower speeds, can drive your face into the ground so fast that your hands are still gripping the handlebars. You can find countless examples of this on Friday Fails. 

The Velocity argument is also addressed in the construction of the helmet to a significant degree. MTB full face helmets are smaller, lighter, better ventilated, and engineered for absorbing lesser impacts than are MC helmets.

Considering my low-limb-finding skills I may benefit more from LEAT neck protection and the absence of a visor to enhance my view upward. :classic_blush: (I hope I at least left a bruise on that tree) Tossing a full-face, or more accurately, buying another FF every time I break one on a low limb could get expensive.

• Like 1

The video I posted above compares two helmets from different classes. The Bell would not be considered an aggressive downhill helmet. It's very light, comfortable and VERY well ventilated. The other from Giro offers more protection at the cost of being heavier and having less ventilation. 

We were discussing this topic in a different light the other day at the office.  The comment was that Spider Mountain's terrain is really no more difficult or challenging that significant part of the BCGB backcountry trails.  Therefore, is there really a need for FF helmet and other extra gear?  The conclusion we came to (and the similar one that I apply when riding my MX bike [say, especially at CP where I ride both MX & MTB]) is that of velocity.  At Spider Mtn (and on an MX bike) you seem to be traveling at such a greater rate of speed, with just a touch of the throttle or ease of the brake lever, and your velocity increases dramatically.  YMMV

Later, -CJB
I have had this talk before as well and wondered about this myself. It isnt too different than other trails, other than like you said velocity. I also chalk it up as guys like to get dressed up in armor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My brother just got that Bell 3R.  The removable chin part is pretty cool, but it looks kinda funny without it.

I wonder about risk homeostasis.  Does more gear = more risk taking?  

On the other hand, I am positive I shattered my ankle because I wasn't wearing knee and elbow pads.  That instinct to save the skin and put the foot down is what cost me.  I've really torn about whether to get pads or not.  My thinking--just like with the dropper post--is that pads are good for when I want to session that one spot that I've been walking and I finally want to try to tackle it.

16 hours ago, CBaron said:

Later, -CJB

I have another angle on this.

I don't own pads, I don't wear pads (that may change one day, especially for a place like Bentonville.)

My reasoning is pretty simple. In my mind, having pads will encourage me to take more risks. I believe I am more likely to crash with pads on because I am doing something that is outside of my comfort zone.

There are those that argue that to have fun you need to always be outside of your comfort zone and always need to be pushing for more. I disagree with this position. I have a ton of fun riding at my skill level and I do push myself, but I take smart risks, not stupid risks. I believe pads would encourage stupid risks so I stay clear, for now.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

My reasoning is pretty simple. In my mind, having pads will encourage me to take more risks. I believe I am more likely to crash with pads on because I am doing something that is outside of my comfort zone.

That works for a high percentage of the time for a lot of people. My only accident on a street bike happened on a Sunday casual ride to help teach newer riders how to be safe on the roads. Since I always rode with full gear on group rides, I was ready when I got hit. Of course, that also means that I rode for many years wearing more gear than I needed. 

There is much truth in AB's strategy. Overcoming the FSS (false sense of safety) that wearing protective gear can lead to is not something everyone can consistently accomplish.

Says the guy who broke each leg, nearly identically, over a 12 year span riding dirt bikes in my 40s and 50s while wearing about $2500 of MX gear and custom made knee braces.

Helmet, Gloves, Eye Protection, and Shin Guards on the MTB is my recipe for fun without overconfidence. Though the Full Face helmet could be a practical choice that wouldn't raise my PPL (potential pain level) through bolstering FSS.

17 hours ago, TheX said:

The video I posted above compares two helmets from different classes. The Bell would not be considered an aggressive downhill helmet. It's very light, comfortable and VERY well ventilated. The other from Giro offers more protection at the cost of being heavier and having less ventilation. 

This one claims to be the lightest on the market. It's slightly lighter than the Fox Proframe that I have. I've only used mine once and have never considered using it for everyday riding, but honestly I never once thought it was overly heavy or burdensome. Of course I might have felt differently if I was climbing instead of riding the lift, especially in July.