IGNORED

Full face helmet at Walnut?

TheX

Of course not. But...it would have been nice today. Wasn't paying attention on Windy and a root grabbed my front tire and threw me and the bike off to the right...and face/shoulder first into a stack of logs. I haven't had a good face plant in a few years. My wife just shakes her head and rolls her eyes when I come home like this. Bike and helmet are unscathed. Sounds like a successful Saturday morning to me.

crash-1.thumb.jpg.0ae014f0f6a76a50fe7240a7ce48c71f.jpg

crash-2.thumb.jpg.45a08a76d929ab08462cd683114c17e9.jpg

crash-3.thumb.jpg.31b5ab8ca05953b1770bc77ccc403914.jpg

I know someone who was riding alone on a bandit trail, crashed and was unconscious for a long time. He always rode with a full face after that. 

Thought he was on the main BCGB trail and some hiker found him half conscious. Cracked me up seeing him shirtless with a FF helmet in summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So I took my (leashed) dog out to hike the trails today. I stopped and looked at where I fell off the bike, and...nothing should have caused this. I was WAY off of the line I've taken 100's of times. Straight up bonehead move. I guess it doesn't take much of a loss of focus to screw up.

• Like 1

Walnut Creek is the most dangerous trail system in Austin.

This has been proven over and over. Newbies and Elite level riders alike all have stories of spectacular crashes at WC and many significant injuries have been sustained on those trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TheX said:

Is that because it's a mixed use, bi-directional, wanna-be racers track?

No, it’s because it’s the easiest trail in town, and experienced riders chit chat and get all complacent ... and then wham.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cafeend said:

One of the easiest trails at BC I think is one of the nastier ones, Mulligan. You do complacent and then out of nowhere it makes you eat dirt.
I dont like riding in there much and seldom do.

I'm just at the point where I can ride Mulligan without stopping, but I'm not doing the big final drop. The rooty ledge feature up the left, around the oak, and back down on the right was giving me fits back in March, but on my new bike I have two lines up, and two lines down I feel comfortable and am able to take cleanly.

Between the tree gates and roots, Mulligan has some surprises if you aren't watching.

I don't think I've ever wiped out at Walnut Creek, although the fresh powder conditions on Severe Consequences tests me. But certain trails in the BCGB have knocked me on my ass more than once.

Worse fall I had in the past few years was at Walnut... Along one of the trails that runs alongside a high cliff. Ridden it many times before but this time there was a low branch that was just in my handlebar line and I missed it because I was confident about my line and looking further ahead. Only took a split second to hook my handlebar to the right, and over the bars I went. The most frightening thing was how close I was to the cliff. A fall down it would not have been pleasant.

No broken bones, only road rash on one forearm. But as I learned from riding horses as a young kid... Get back up on it right away, and start riding. Which is what I did.

I've not tried a full face helmet so I don't know what they are like re. heat, but I see more manufacturers making all sorts of variations of them and would think that there is a trend towards making some of them as comfortable as regular helmets... So as to make them more marketable to a wider customer base.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:15 PM, Chongo Loco said:

Thought he was on the main BCGB trail and some hiker found him half conscious. Cracked me up seeing him shirtless with a FF helmet in summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What ever happened to Bart?  He was quite the regular around here for a while?

-CJB

25 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

With the advent of lighter full face helmets, I can totally understand someone using one on every ride. I mean, you wouldn't ride without a helmet at Walnut, right? Because you might crash, right? So is your face not terribly important to protect? 

And to be fair, Bart road with that very lightweight Giro "switchblade" FF helmet.  It was pretty svelt for what it was.  (Didn't change the way it looked though...no shirt; FF helmet).

-CJB