IGNORED

REI now carries PNW droppers

FWIW, an identical post to some PNW models are sold as "Brand-X Ascend II" in the EU.

The Brand-X versions are available from Chain Reaction Cycles, at a lower price (and usually free shipping) for the same sweet dropper. The one I bought there took about a week to arrive. 

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/seatposts?f=4294967079,2258

This post, under a number of brand names, has received great reviews for use and durability.

Performance Bike online still sells them under their house brand, Forte, for $109.99  https://www.performancebike.com/forte-clutch-dropper-post-external-125mm-travel-30.9mm-50-6322-309/p991162?v=944539

50-6322-309.jpg?width=475

PNW Cascade

Cascade_new_1024x1024.jpg?v=1558553060

Brand-X Ascend II

brand-x-brand-x-ascend-ii-dropper-extern

KS LEV - https://www.jensonusa.com/KS-E20-Dropper-Seatpost-2019

189041.jpg

9 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

FWIW, an identical post to some PNW models are sold as "Brand-X Ascend II" in the EU.

The Brand-X versions are available from Chain Reaction Cycles, at a lower price (and usually free shipping) for the same sweet dropper. The one I bought there took about a week to arrive. 

This post, under a number of brand names, has received great reviews for use and durability.

Performance Bike online still sells them under their house brand, Forte, for $109.99  https://www.performancebike.com/forte-clutch-dropper-post-external-125mm-travel-30.9mm-50-6322-309/p991162?v=944539

PNW Cascade

Brand-X Ascend II

189041.jpg

I have a Brand X on both of my bikes. The one on my FS has been two years now with no issues at all. The only thing I've done is put a Wolftooth remote onto it. I recently rode a rental with a Bikeyoke dropper and was not impressed. The lever was a bit on the cheap side for such a pricey dropper it also had quite a bit of stiction and was slower than my Brand X at returning to height.

I had a BX for a while, then switched frames and needed a different size. Went with a PNW Bachelor. The lever that came with the BX sucked! It hinged from the top inside of sideways like a shifter would.

Replaced it with a KS Southpaw, which is fantastic. I had to clamp an Odyssey Knarp on the Southpaw due to the cable configuration but it never bothered me. I use the Southpaw with my PNW post too as it seems like a more adjustable design than the one that came with the PNW.

One difference I saw in these rebranded droppers was the bar lever orientation. Some pivot downward (horizontal axis), while others swing forward (vert axis).

Ah, a second reading of mack_turtle's response makes sense to me now - saying the same thing

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I had a BX for a while, then switched frames and needed a different size. Went with a PNW Bachelor. The lever that came with the BX sucked! It hinged from the top inside of sideways like a shifter would.

• Like 1

I have not had an issue with the PNW or KS dropper levers. Clearly there are better ones on the market but I guess, like many other things bike related, I don't have a strong opinion on the difference. The only thing that bugged me about the KS lever was that because it was small, it would slip in sweaty conditions. I put some stuff on the button to give it more of a grip. A $3 solution that works fine now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

PNW Cascade

Brand-X Ascend II

189041.jpg

You've mentioned that they were identical a couple of times but I wasn't able to find where someone actually showed pics of the internals and such so I thought maybe look at the Brand-X manual for disassembly or perhaps look for a link to buy a new internal cartridge but none of that exists as far as I can tell. So I'd probably pay a few bucks extra for good/fast customer service, full documentation and spare parts availability because droppers are the most failure prone parts I've ever used.

1 hour ago, Anita Handle said:

You've mentioned that they were identical a couple of times but I wasn't able to find where someone actually showed pics of the internals and such so I thought maybe look at the Brand-X manual for disassembly or perhaps look for a link to buy a new internal cartridge but none of that exists as far as I can tell. So I'd probably pay a few bucks extra for good/fast customer service, full documentation and spare parts availability because droppers are the most failure prone parts I've ever used.

Here's a link to someone else who dug further.

https://stravaigingmtb.com/2017/11/27/so-who-the-hell-made-this-dropper-post/

Bottom line is that these appear to be from a common manufacturer making droppers for a number of private label customers. The manufacturer customizes some aspects like the seat clamp or dust seal, while all are based upon the same internals, which are not serviceable. Each label seems to provide a different handlebar lever as well. Some of the HB levers are better than others, and can be easily swapped out.

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Some droppers come with a crappy lever, then you can buy an "upgrade" lever later. If crapper + lever = more than the dropper that comes with the non crappy lever in the first place, just buy the post that costs more and does not require an "upgrade." I learned that the hard way.

I paid $110 for my dropper when I bought it so another $70 for a good lever was well worth it. When It dies I'll buy another and attach it to the Wolftooth lever.

I love my PNW Cascade (external routing, coil sprung). I’ve got their Loam Lever, and it’s fantastic. Perfect ergonomics, perfect leverage, and the little rubber grip is comfy. Bonus is being able to match the colors to your bike bling.

Honestly though, I’d much rather support a US company that also has given a few of us amazing customer service. And in this case, it doesn’t cost that much more to do so.

*I also think PNWs graphics look rad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Teamsloan said:

And in this case, it doesn’t cost that much more to do so.

Maybe an 82% price bump isn't that much more to some. (referencing Performance Bike's current price of $109.99)

Nearly 2 of them could be purchased from Performance for the PNW price while still buying the same post from an American company.  Had I found it there when I was shopping I'd have bought it. Spotted one with the Forte brand on their rack at the South store during the liquidation sale months after buying a Brand-X version from CRC. I will keep this source in mind in case I ever manage to break this one.

Edited by Ridenfool

Maybe an 82% price bump isn't that much more to some. (referencing Performance Bike's current price of $109.99)
Nearly 2 of them could be purchased from Performance for the PNW price while still buying the same post from an American company.  Had I found it there when I was shopping I'd have bought it. Spotted one with the Forte brand on their rack at the South store during the liquidation sale months after buying a Brand-X version from CRC. I will keep this source in mind in case I ever manage to break this one.

I didn’t know about the one from Performance bike, but I don’t think I would purchase anything from them these days anyway. I thought they went out of business?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retail shut down, now trying to compete with online only. That is a tough hill to climb because they are up against Amazon with massive fulfillment capability and they are trying to maintain their own inventory and fulfillment mechanisms. I don't see them competing long-term, not because online people can't compete, but because if you start with a retail mentality it is hard to rid your organizations of that mindset. Strictly retail will do OK (if they understand where their money is made) and pure online will do ok if they, again, find their niche. But the combo model has never fared well. Just getting rid of retail stores does not mean that they have also gotten rid of the retail mindset.

That was what I thought about Performance as well. Then, when I went looking for their house brand name it was a surprise to find the site still running online.

Here's the About page with details. https://www.performancebike.com/about-performance-bicycle/i415

TLDR:

"In February 2019, Performance Bicycle returned to its roots when AMain Sports and Hobbies' husband and wife duo, Kendall and Kelly Bennett, purchased the web site to add to their family of successful eCommerce and brick and mortar businesses."

They also own Nashbar.

Edited by Ridenfool

I also have a Brand X dropper post from Chain Reaction.  It's been solid so far and has smooth action.  So far I'm impressed, especially with the $125 price tag.   I may try a PNW next time since it can be picked up locally and isn't much more expensive.

Edited by fontarin