IGNORED

Tubolito

Yosmithy

Can it be patched?

Is it significantly more puncture resistant than rubber?

If not, the only advantage it offers is some weight saving, and space saving as a spare. Tubeless might be a better value overall.

This may be an expensive way for a tubeless rider to carry a spare tube and make the pack lighter by a  smidgen. Seems a little pricey.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

This is an awesome solution in search of a problem.

If weight is your issue, then tubeless will wipe it out, hands down.

If puncture is your issue, then tubeless will wipe it out, hands down.

If cost is your issue, then tubeless will wipe it out, hands down.

If space is your issue, then tubeless will wipe it out, hands down.

I fail to see how this will beat tubeless in any relevant manner. What this does beat is traditional tubes. It is essentially sits in between a traditional tube and tubeless, but has a hefty price tag. I fail to see where the market need is for this product.

I have heavy, relatively cheap, tubes in my urban bike for riding on the streets. I have tubeless on my mountain bikes for riding on the trails. This would be used in neither place for me. The only benefit is that it is smaller so it takes up less room in my pack, but at ~$30 more than a standard tube, I am happy to carry a normal tube and drop that money on a good case of IPA.

• Like 1

I am under the impression that the point of this product is not an alternative to tubeless, but a lightweight, compact spare tube for emergencies. No one who would even consider a product like a "premium inner tube"  uses tubes, DUH. This product is for people who know that tubeless systems are not bulletproof but also don't to haul around a standard tube.

I carry a spare 29er tube and I have had to use it a few times. I try to carry the bare minimum, and a standard 29" tube is quite bulky and heavy compared to all the rest of the little, lightweight gear I carry. A compact, lightweight tube would be perfect, but not worth $35 for me.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

I always look for them on sale and can usually find a $5 tube, eventually. Picked up a couple a few months back to get over the free shipping price point on some purchase. I've had several tubes deteriorate in the box, never getting used. (probably because I'm buying old stock being liquidated at bargain prices)

Running tubeless it is not very often that I need to replace one, and when I do it might as likely be from giving it away to someone else rather than needing it myself. Which might offer yet another reason for not buying the Tubolito to carry as a potential give-away.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

I'm buying 'em yet, but just to play devil's advocate, I'd go back to tubes if (and these are big ifs) they offered the same or better puncture resistance, could be run at tubeless-level-low pressure, and were lighter. Plus, better protection against sidewall cuts and NO MORE REFILLING SEALANT!!!!

How I found out about this was through a Jeff Lenosky video about tire puncture. He was promoting this as and option to carrying a backup tube for those that run tubeless. 

I do agree, it is a small form factor, and yes, some weight loss, but holy shit, $35 dollars???

I currently just carry a spare tube strapped to my frame, and other than having to remove it every 6 months when I wash my bike, I don't even notice it.

I'm normally not a tight wad when it comes to bike "stuff", but this is ridiculous

Tubes are awesome for trailside patching of tubeless flats. I happen to know someone that has had several tubeless flats recently. First the bacon. Then putting more Stan's in. Then finally pulling out the tube. Yeah, there are ways to fix a tubeless flat but most of the time I's done and having a cold beer while they are continuing to try things to patch their tire. Just put a tube in it. Oh, and don't pay $35 for that tube.

2 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

How I found out about this was through a Jeff Lenosky video about tire puncture. He was promoting this as and option to carrying a backup tube for those that run tubeless. 

I do agree, it is a small form factor, and yes, some weight loss, but holy shit, $35 dollars???

I currently just carry a spare tube strapped to my frame, and other than having to remove it every 6 months when I wash my bike, I don't even notice it.

I'm normally not a tight wad when it comes to bike "stuff", but this is ridiculous

Honestly, I would not be surprised to find the vendor shipped him some free ones. If I received free ones I'd probably be raving about how great they are. It's the physical act of buying them that suddenly makes them unreasonable. As a giveaway from the vendor they are awesome.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

As a giveaway from the vendor they are awesome.

This could be said about warm beer. 

IMO tubes are like calculators.  IF you happen to have your computer crash and you need to add up some big numbers, having a calculator on your desk is a great thing.  However, that happens so infrequently that I'm not going to buy some fancy calculator 'just in case'.  I ride 3-4 times a week and only refill my tires with Stan's once or twice a year.  Even then it's just a matter of pulling out the core, screwing on the turkey baster, and pushing in a few ounces.  It's easy, clean, and works.  I still carry a tube and I've given away 3x more than I've ever used.  

I think these people selling that tube for $35 know that the only people buying it will hope to never need it and recognize that they will only sell one to each rider that is willing to pony up the money.  It's almost like a security blanket or first aid kit.  You could buy the cheap one and hope it works but if you really need it, you'll be cussing yourself as you freeze or bleed on the side of the trail.  In this case, if I don't have a tube that works, I'm walking out.  I have to be willing to pay $35 to keep from doing that.  I'm too cheap....I'll just walk or carry a normal tube.

Edited by Tree Magnet

I actually might be willing to spend the money to drop the weight, but the showstopper for me, as others have mentioned, is that I'm just as likely to give away my spare tube than use it myself, and ain't no way I'm giving away a $35 tube, or trying to explain to someone that it's a $35 tube.

• Like 1

1. Cheap tubes suck.  I've had several Forte and other cheap brand (I think Avernir) just split down the seam.  I stick with name brand only (Specialized, Hutchinson, etc.).  Having to change a tube is not a frequent issue for me so spending $10 over $5 (though for me it's usually more like $10 over $7...it's been years since I bought a $5 tube).
  2. Walking 2 miles to a bike shop on carbon soled shoes suck.  I had to do this when my last tube (I will carry up to 3 tubes if I ride on Parmer) turned out to be bad.  This can happen if you hardly ever need a tube.  For those of you that strap a tube to your seat or frame, check them every few months.  It's likely bad.  I prefer them in a ziplock in my saddle bag to make them last longer, but even then they can become porous or even get holes from vibrations.
  3. I usually also carry patches, and on my road bike a frame pump instead of CO2.  It's more likely that I'll be on a long ride miles from a rescue or shop on my road bike. 
  4. I patch and re-use my tubes if they don't feel too hard/brittle.

If this tube lasts indefinitely in the saddle bag, it may be worth it for me.

1 hour ago, mcfly said:

I actually might be willing to spend the money to drop the weight, but the showstopper for me, as others have mentioned, is that I'm just as likely to give away my spare tube than use it myself, and ain't no way I'm giving away a $35 tube, or trying to explain to someone that it's a $35 tube.

yeah, I can see this "crap, I have a flat, does anyone have a tube?" "ummm.....no"

You can either give away your $35 tube and get a $5 doubly sized replacement back (sometime in the future), give them a $35 tube and never receive anything back, tell them you have a tube but it costs $35 and they need to replace it, or lie to them.

None of those four options is good.

Just now, Ridenfool said:

So, does this mean those I've given my cheap tubes to over the years may still be out there stuck on a trail somewhere? :classic_ohmy:

41v47-4IiEL._SX342_.jpg

Maybe?  I know, at two different times, bought 2 new Forte tubes and both were bad.  Another time I bought 2 new Avenir tubes, and both were bad.  That's the last time I bought cheap tubes (maybe 4 years ago).  OTOH a dude on Parmer once gave me his last tube, an older but patched Hutchinson tube and asked that I pray he doesn't flat on the way home.  That tube lasted forever.  I hope he made it, and I've been paying it forward since then when I can.

• Like 2