IGNORED

Tubolito

Yosmithy

5th option: carry your superlight $35 tube for yourself, and a spare $5 tube for give-aways.

An old ride buddy used to pickup the tubes jackwads left on the trail, patch them, then use them for trail side giveaways. Like 50 cent investment. And yes, occasionally someone had the nerve to make a comment on being given a patched tube.

Personally, I’d love to ditch the heavy asses 27.5+ tube I lug around but not for $35. Truth is last time I used it I missed a thorn in my tubeless and fucker went flat a mile later. It’s patched and in my camelbak. Heavy thing wasn’t cheap so it’s gonna get 5-6 patches before I replace it. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

Truth is last time I used it I missed a thorn in my tubeless and fucker went flat a mile later.

This is why I gave up on tubes in my pack--no matter how far you dig, you're just as likely to miss a thorn. A couple of years ago I pinch flatted my tire at Pedernales. My tire was so full of thorns that I had to patch my tube twice after installing it. And I only had 2 patches. That third flat meant that I was walking back. After that, I didn't see the point in packing tubes. As yet not having a tube has only put me in an irreparable situation once in 1.5 years. Although I may still consider it for some situations--a big ride at Big Bend for example, or other places that a short walk can't get me to the car or an Uber.

I do think there would be a market for a lightweight emergency tube such as this--even at that price. But it would have to be puncture resistant in some way. Perhaps lightweight but with a Slime layer?

This is why I gave up on tubes in my pack--no matter how far you dig, you're just as likely to miss a thorn. 

I do think there would be a market for a lightweight emergency tube such as this--even at that price. But it would have to be puncture resistant in some way. Perhaps lightweight but with a Slime layer?

I’ve had mixed results. Successfully did the cliff bar wrapper boot to get back from mulch hill and some lake Georgetown holes years ago. Then the before mentioned tube failure and walked back to TC from a short ways in. Tore a sidewall at brushy last fall and was by the swag rock bailout so after bacon failure + pump breaking I just said fuckit and walked.

Think it’s more I’m tired of screwing with tire slime on trail if it’s walkable then tube failure lately. Honestly I’ve had worse results with slime tubes pre-tubeless. Plus tires are already heavy as fuck without adding that! Plus it’s a PITA to patch a slime tube it you double flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1