IGNORED

2019 Enchilada Buffet

TAF

Mark your calendars for Saturday, October 19. That shall be the Enchilada Buffet. There has been some recent discussion as to the route - let it be known that the Elders have conferred, and have dictated that the current route is THE route. Perhaps in the future, the route shall be added to, but the EB shall be the EB, and the route shall never be lessened. So get used to some Thumper pre-rides with Cody, people.

The week following The Enchilada Buffet is the Real Ale Ride, and the week following that Austin is hosting Singlespeed USA - so if the weather decides to fuck us over, the EB will be rain dated to January.

That is all.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

A point of confusion at WC from the file. I went back and looked at what most folks actually did at WC in 2017 and what this file says. I'd like @TAF to weigh in on the official 2019 route. 

The official GPX shows the route going down Endo and skipping Powerline Flow. But when I look at what most folks did, they skipped Endo and rode Powerline Flow down and up and then crossed the dam. 

180496603_endovspowerline.JPG.558045b0ad5e49d05c6647c71b192634.JPG

It also shows the exit from WC as different than it was led in 2017. ...wait, is this GPX from before the paved path went though WC?

A point of confusion at WC from the file. I went back and looked at what most folks actually did at WC in 2017 and what this file says. I'd like [mention=24]TAF[/mention] to weigh in on the official 2019 route. 
The official GPX shows the route going down Endo and skipping Powerline Flow. But when I look at what most folks did, they skipped Endo and rode Powerline Flow down and up and then crossed the dam. 
180496603_endovspowerline.JPG.558045b0ad5e49d05c6647c71b192634.JPG

It also shows the exit from WC as different than it was led in 2017. ...wait, is this GPX from before the paved path went though WC?

Since powerline flow and char dog up were new trail in 2017 it makes sense. That 2017 file was just an older file. Powerline was also not really used because it was closed off by brush piles to re vegetate. And most people skip Enzo and “dog head” when doing their version of the Walnut Creek parade loop. I’ll just follow one of the classic Sunday routes.

P6
Under bridge
Root drop
Up to Dog head
Endo
Up Waterfall
Powerline flow/chardog up
Log loop
Over to Marks art
Tangle wild triangle
And you know the rest of the story....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

P6
Under bridge
Root drop
Up to Dog head
Endo
Up Waterfall
Powerline flow/chardog up
Log loop
Over to Marks art
Tangle wild triangle

Looking at what folks did in 2017, this seems very wrong. I'm not sure anyone did Root Drop. Most folks did the current "standard loop" minus Windy & BMX. This also doesn't jive with the GPX file, which doesn't do Root Drop.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Barry said:

Most folks did the current "standard loop" minus Windy & BMX. This also doesn't jive with the GPX file, which doesn't do Root Drop.

I'm good with the standard Tuesday loop starting from the terminus end of the concrete path, minus Windy and BMX. No need for Endo or Root Drop, but no one's going to hold it against you if you do em -- unless you're planning on a Top Ten finish, I guess. 

Sorry if the GPS file says something else - it's from a year, maybe two, ago, and trails were in flux back then. If you've gotten thru Thumper and made it back to Walnut, no one's going to hold a different loop of the Nut against you!

I'll be out there later today (sans rain) making sure we have a clear run up to the exit to Shady Springs. Join me if you wish, Barry!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TAF said:

I'm good with the standard Tuesday loop starting from the terminus end of the concrete path, minus Windy and BMX. No need for Endo or Root Drop, but no one's going to hold it against you if you do em -- unless you're planning on a Top Ten finish, I guess. 

According to my 2017 Flyby only 5 people did Endo that day...two of which were @CBaron and me. We decided later that it was extra credit. I don't plan to do it this year. 

And by my estimation, doing Root Drop (black line) instead of the Standard Loop (blue line) shortens the ride by about 0.7 miles.  Again, according to my Flyby, only 4 folks went through Root Drop that day.

rootdrop.JPG.6fce13e731137a1c8443e27ef5eb1091.JPG

And yeah, it's looking pretty raintastic today. But good for the weekend! Albeit a little warmer than I'd hoped. 

4 hours ago, Barry said:

And by my estimation, doing Root Drop (black line) instead of the Standard Loop (blue line) shortens the ride by about 0.7 miles.  Again, according to my Flyby, only 4 folks went through Root Drop that day.

I don't recall the root drop ever being a part of it, but I wasn't around in the pre-Strava early days. A mystery lost in the mists of time and the chasms of Thumper, perhaps.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TAF said:

I don't recall the root drop ever being a part of it, but I wasn't around in the pre-Strava early days. A mystery lost in the mists of time and the chasms of Thumper, perhaps.

It wasn't in 2010.  I didn't finish 2009 and didn't participate in the OG 2008 version but I think 2008-2010 were the same.

According to my 2017 Flyby only 5 people did Endo that day...two of which were [mention=101]CBaron[/mention] and me. We decided later that it was extra credit. I don't plan to do it this year. 
rootdrop.JPG.6fce13e731137a1c8443e27ef5eb1091.JPG

And yeah, it's looking pretty raintastic today. But good for the weekend! Albeit a little warmer than I'd hoped. 

Would you mind screen shorting the entire walnut loop for me?

I know TAF and I go through this every single year. But I am an IOS phone user and getting the route in this format serves me no good.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to put together a Thumper "cheat sheet" for those of you needing to (better) familiarize yourself with that trail.  i went out today and rode and marked it.  Its pretty much ready.  There are a few low-branches that I wish we could eradicate, but its nothing that can't be traversed via a dismount.  

Also, don't forget about the Thumper pre-ride this Thursday (weather-trail conditions permitting).

Later,

CJB

• Like 1

Iphones can't see flyby?
image.thumb.png.dcfd9ffdb0427c792aa8cd9a47273eee.png

Not when you didn’t ride since 2016 WHEN THE TRAILS WERE DIFFERENT.

How would I know whose route to use?

Because no one responded, I went and looked at the flybys of 2016 I see the many different routes that people took. I used the the winners route because I figure that is safe.

The confusion is not clear when deciding
With or without:
dog head
Up White bitch climb (I don’t think this is in the route but your flybys did it)
Endo valley.

I don’t know why it’s so difficult to get a simple accurate route every year. Thank goodness Thad was nice enough to post on FB and not be difficult.

It looks as if the start goes down the bike path up and over the damn from log loop now.

11 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

Thank goodness Thad was nice enough to post on FB and not be difficult.

It looks as if the start goes down the bike path up and over the damn from log loop now.

Thad's 2017 route is (IMO) accurate, but his GPS looks choppy, which is why I didn't use it earlier. Mine is close, but like I said, we skipped Doghead and rode Endo. I think the correct way is to skip Endo and Ride Doghead. Everything else on my (which you quoted) is correct. 

I have been assuming that, like in 2017, the entire path down to Zilker will be a "group" led ride. In 2017 @AustinBike led the group down to Zilker, and "released the hounds" there. Everyone stayed together until then.  @TAF, is something like that happening this year? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CBaron said:

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to put together a Thumper "cheat sheet" for those of you needing to (better) familiarize yourself with that trail.

THUMPER CHEAT SHEET

These 2 photos are to explain the different signage you will incur on the Thumper trail.  In very simple terms, ignore the color signs/arrows.  There are 2 main types of markings:
1) Black/white arrow signs.  The signs are the designated "bike arrows" that are left up year-round and should generally follow the trail along its route.
2) Yellow tape across the trail.  The yellow tape pretty much marks off traill sections that should not be used.  Do not ride over the yellow tape.  The B/W arrows and yellow tape should not contradict each other.   *NOTE* there are a few leftover EB 2017 signs out on the trail and they should be accurate.
IMG-8799.png
In this photo below you can also see the small EB2017 marker above the B/W arrow sign.
IMG-8788.jpg

This is an example of a left turn marked by just a B/W arrow.  The trail only goes left around the tree, but to the casual rider it may seem like they could go straight or even gently right if they are not paying attention to the B/W arrows.
IMG-8790.jpg
IMG-8791.jpg

This is one of the more historically confusing spots.  This photo is showing a portion of the 2-way section of Thumper trail.  The perspective is as if you where "coming back" towards the end of the 2-way.  You will drop down the ravine and take a firm left around the small tree.  The illustrative direction arrows show the 2-direction and how its traveled.  Additionally I've circled the B/W arrows and the smaller EB2017 arrow.  But please be alert for these kinds of markings while out on the trail.
Full-Size-Render.jpg
The photo below is the same section as above.  However, its further back and without the illustrative arrows
IMG-8796.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its also worth noting that the markings are not completely exhaustive along the trail.  You WON'T find them along every turn and every section.  They have been put in place to help with the "known" confusing sections.  This is generally more prevalent in the first 1/2 of the trail system.  As the trail progresses, I (we) feel it becomes easier to follow.  Thus less B/W arrows.  That said, you will occasionally find a few on the latter half of the trail.

If you have any questions or comments, then please post them up here.  I'm on this forum much more than I am on my wife's FB account.

Later, -CJB

PS- Its really not an EB without a neutral "prologue" rollout.

• Like 1