IGNORED

The SATN SOCIAL

The Tip

The SATN SOCIAL

Fall, 2019. A celebration of the South Austin Trail Network.

Saturday, October 26th. 8:00 am - 5:00 pm-ish

ATX BIKES parking lot, Slaughter Lane @ Beckett

Sponsored by ATX BIKES and GIANT Bicycles.

What is it? It is not a race, it's just a big social ride. There are three routes that all start and return to the ATX Bikes' parking lot. The north is 18 miles, the east is 15, the south is 25. Do all three for a 58 mile ride. This ride will be 90% dirt. The rest is a little road, a little sidewalk. The routing is trying to use as much of the SATN that is not in a gray area. A gray area is one where the landowner is tolerating limited use of it so far, but it's not officially been sanctioned. This ride avoids all of those.

ATX Bikes and Giant Bicycles will be providing food, beer, and some prizes. Prizes will be in a drawing. Tickets will be earned by completing a route. So if you only do one route you will get some tickets. Do all three, get more. Do bonus mileage, get even more.

Giant Bicycles will be bringing their demo trailer. Oh yes, this event is an actual thing!

Get there early to pay your registration, sign your waiver, pay your donation to charity, get your bike number, and get your start time assigned.

KIDDING! There will be none of that. This is all free and it's all for fun. It's a SOCIAL ride! It's a social ride that will educate people about the South Austin Trail Network and to make it a more legitimate thing. The more it is recognized the more of it that can be sanctioned and appreciated by the landowners. "Hey! We have a cool thing here." Perhaps one day we will be able to have a ride that uses all 90 miles of the SATN.

So mark your calendars and tell your buds about it. Look for routes to be posted soon so you can practice and get them down. Recruit a group to ride with on the day of The SATN Social too. Just pick photogenic people though because you will be taking pictures of yourselves in the far reaches of the SATN as proof that you rode it all.

The routes:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1uW17XVqKni7OhNBs-iZfFjq84wvng9H9&ll=30.19231555044796%2C-97.87136449999997&z=13

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 5

A lot of the SATN is smooth as satin. It's true. People say it's a good way to get smile miles in. And there's a little bit of climbing available, there's a little bit of tech, but there's a lot of flow. And it's so big that it's rarely busy. I can put in 20 miles on a weekday and never see another person. On the weekends, on a pretty day, I do have to keep my head up because there's more of a chance of seeing someone else.

Edited by The Tip

• 2 weeks later...

I rode some of the north section today and I'm impressed with the routing!

I converted the route to GPX to load on my Garmin, so I'm sharing in case anybody else needs it. Just plug in your Garmin over USB and copy the gpx files into the "Garmin/New Files" folder and they will show up in Courses.

SATN Social South.gpx SATN Social North.gpx SATN Social East.gpx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those of you that refuse to use the SATN Facebook page,      https://www.facebook.com/theSATN/      where all the information for this will be listed, here's the latest:

Have you planned what you are going to attempt the day of The SATN Social yet? Time to start planning and training. It's coming up, Saturday, October 26th.

The swag table is going to be heavy with freebies (Courtesy of ATX BIkes and Giant Bicycles) to be awarded in the post ride drawing. The tickets for the drawing will be given based on how much of the 58 miles you ride.
Completed routes earn:
East (15 miles) 2 tickets
North (18 miles) 3 tickets
South (25 miles) 4 tickets
Bonus for doing all three (58 miles), 2 extra tickets
A bonus ticket for each additional 6 miles over 58 miles
A 10 ticket bonus to the one rider that has the highest mileage. Extra mileage will be ridden on the set routes in the proper direction. Must be back by 4 pm.
These distances will require proof from your ride apps. The "most miles" competition might be very interesting!

We know that not everyone is even going to attempt to ride the full 58 miles. That is why we are going to have three different send off times. 8 am, 10 am, and Noon. The hope is that everyone will be finishing between 3 pm and 4 pm. The food and drink will start at 3 pm. Sausage wraps provided by ATX Bikes, beer provided by Austin Beerworks. The drawing to start as soon after 4 pm as possible.

Ladies and Gentlemen...start your planning!

SATN_East_no_gray_areas.gpx

• Like 1

I've submitted the three .gpx routes into TrailForks, and used the latest "no gray areas" gpx for East.

Here are links to the routes.

https://www.trailforks.com/route/satn-social-east-10-26-19-event/

https://www.trailforks.com/route/satn-social-north-10-26-19-event/

https://www.trailforks.com/route/satn-social-south-10-26-19-event/

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

SATN SOCIAL, more ways to earn tickets!

We need to reward the people that take the time to learn the proper routes, So for each route that is completed correctly ANOTHER, EXTRA, ticket will be awarded.
This will be easy to check by looking at your Strava. There are Strava segments for each of the three routes that will show up if ridden.
And if you are able to do all three routes perfectly (it's not that difficult!) you will get two MORE tickets. That's FIVE extra tickets to reward you for taking five minutes to learn the posted routes. Hopefully there will be lots of flagging out there to further assist you as well..

A recap of the information:

The SATN SOCIAL will be held this year on Saturday, October 26th. The SATN SOCIAL is designed to be a fun ride to celebrate the South Austin Trail Network and to promote it as the wonderful resource that it is.

The sponsors are ATX Bikes and Giant Bicycles. ATX Bikes, the location of the event, is at the center of the SATN and will be the start and stop of each of the three routes that make up the 58 miles of the ride. How much of it to be ridden will be an individual decision. The north route is 18 miles, the east route is 15 miles, and the south route is 25 miles.

ATX Bikes and Giant will be donating lots of goodies to give out in a raffle. Tickets to be earned by completing the different routes as well as the opportunities for bonus tickets.

East route, 2 tickets. North route, 3 tickets. South route, 4 tickets. Bonus 2 tickets for completing all three, every extra 6 miles (repeating official routing), 1 ticket, and the person riding the most miles between 8 am and 4 pm, 10 tickets. Also one bonus ticket fro every segment ridden “perfectly.” Two extra tickets for riding all three segments perfectly. If you have a winning ticket you will be asked to show your ride on an app, either yours, or someone you rode with, to verify your accomplishment. But tickets are NOT the reason for doing this ride!

There will be three different starts. 8am, 10am, and noon. The hope is that no matter how many of the routes are attempted everyone will be finished sometime between 3 and 4 pm. The food and drink, with beer provided by Austin Beerworks, will be available starting at 3 pm. The drawing will begin as soon after 4 pm as it is organized.

The routes have been practice ridden at the last few Crank and Dranks. There should be several people that will be willing to lead those unfamiliar with the SATN. There is a wide array of pace available. Know what your average trail speed is so you will know who to hook up with. Again, it is very helpful to use a ride app like Strava prior to the event to know your average trail speed. Those that are familiar with the routes will hopefully hold up their hands to say something like, “I’m riding at 9 mph. I’m going south, east, north.” Groups will then form.

Updated information is available at the South Austin Trail Network, SATN, Facebook page. Maps of the routes and GPX files are located there.

Don’t park in front of Austin Diagnostic Clinic. This ride is self-supported. Use your caryou’re your refueling stops.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:28 AM, The Tip said:

SATN SOCIAL, more ways to earn tickets!

We need to reward the people that take the time to learn the proper routes, So for each route that is completed correctly ANOTHER, EXTRA, ticket will be awarded.
This will be easy to check by looking at your Strava. There are Strava segments for each of the three routes that will show up if ridden.
And if you are able to do all three routes perfectly (it's not that difficult!) you will get two MORE tickets. That's FIVE extra tickets to reward you for taking five minutes to learn the posted routes. Hopefully there will be lots of flagging out there to further assist you as well..

If you 'paste as plain text', you won't have all that inverse shaded text going on (for those of us who live in darkness).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ridenfool said:

Hypopathetically speaking, what effect would, say, just randomly picking a number here, an inch and a half of rain, let's say on, only theoretically speaking of course, Thursday night, have on the event?

I'm always amazed at how quickly the SATN recovers. I'm thinking that even an inch and a half won't put everything out of business. I've frequently said, in that sort of a rain event, that a day afterwards, "It's 95% good to go."  Which means don't put off a ride waiting for that 5% to dry up.

But it is actually going to be good if we get 1" or less. It will soak up and knock down the dust. Perfect trail conditions and it looks like the weather is going to be perfect too. Maybe bring a jacket for the post ride activities.

We'll assess it late Friday, while the route is getting reflagged (again, grrrr) and cancel it on the SATN Facebook page if it's not gtg. But if there is no cancel announcement it's on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am being optimistic, for once, that the ground will soak up most of it quickly enough.

I would support a few minor reroutes (not my call, but these are my thoughts for alternatives):

Certainly Slaughter Creek NP will be closed. Just ride past it and climb 1826.

The second half of Drip Drop stays soggy for a long time but we can easily avoid that be using the cul de sacs on Via Correto Drive.

Veering off the dirt and dragging mud all over the Veloway might be a bad idea. Keep riding past the Veloway dirt entrance to Genesis.

Inner Canterbury might stay soggy, but it can easily be skipped if that is the case.

The rest of the weekends for the next month are booked up with other events.

Edited by mack_turtle

Early scouting of trails has shown what we all knew. There is no way that a lot of the routes will be even close to being good to go. But the scouting that has been done has discovered that some of the trail WILL be good.

So there WILL be an event. BUT it will start at NOON. This decision was also based on the fact that our generous sponsors, ATX Bikes and Giant Bicycles, have already bought and paid for the food and drink for a party. So let's have a dang party!  

Please continue to scout trails. They are improving hourly of course. Even Saturday morning go and look and see what can be ridden. Then at noon we will come up with the game plan. We'll go ride for awhile, then come back and eat and drink. ATX Bikes will put up their tents and have music going. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon. 

No tickets or prize table this time. But the things that were to be given away will now be rolled into the Bowie Bulldog Scavenger Hunt. It is scheduled for November 16th. It too utilizes the SATN. Here's the link to sign up for that:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bulldog-mtb-scavenger-hunt-november-16-2019-tickets-77524420629

Saturday is going to be a beautiful day. It will be fun. 

• Like 3

Holy moly, what a great day. Unbelievable what shape the tires were coming back after the different segments. So clean. Actually hard to believe. 

Nobody counted, but the general consensus was that we had at least 150 people for the send off. An almost perfect weather day. Big shout out to ATX Bikes and  Giant Bicycles. They didn't have to go all in with bar b q and beer like they did. ATX Bikes paying for 100 SATN Social tee shirts was over the top. They did NOT have to do that as they already showed so much support towards the SATN community. So cool. This event, with it's seat of the pants, less than 24 hour planning, turned out great.

For all you folks that want a taste of it, sign up for the Bowie Bulldog Mountain Bike Team SATN Social Challenge. They have stepped up to offer a complete SATN Social to accommodate all the folks that were disappointed by not being able to attempt it today because of poor trail conditions. There were over 150 riders that showed up to ride the abbreviated version. We all know that there were a lot of folks that wanted to attempt the full 58 miles and were disappointed about not being able to.

Here is where you sign up:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bulldog-mtb-scavenger-hunt-satn-social-challenge-november-16-2019-tickets-77524420629?fbclid=IwAR1zWy6haXte1L_wZnXFu1IOQ5b_KRa496E7jCIUtZnd0YzlEYPCcPLF8zs

Did I say what a great day it was?

• Like 2

Awesome event SATN team. You guys really showed off all your hard work today and I know a lot of riders left impressed. So great to have so many good riding options in this town. I used to say that I would never be able to explore all the SATN trails because I had to drive past the green belt to get there. I’m glad I did and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bump and a reminder that next Saturday, November 16th, will be the SATN Social redo sponsored by the Bowie MTB team.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bulldog-mtb-scavenger-hunt-satn-social-challenge-november-16-2019-tickets-77524420629

Annual Bulldog MTB Scavenger Hunt plus South Austin Trail Network Social Challenge
November 16, 2019

All Scavenger Hunt and SATN Social Challenge Ticket Proceeds Benefit the Bowie High School & South Austin Middle School NICA Mountain Bike Race Teams

SCAVENGER HUNT - Not a race and not a group ride, but a big dirt adventure where you'll check in at as many points as you can on the South Austin Trail Network (including beer, food and bragging). Over $2,000.00 in raffle prizes. Tickets are earned by riding in the event and can also be purchased.
All skill levels welcome. Ride as much or as little as you'd like, as fast or slow as you'd like, just plan on having a really good time while raising money for our South Austin youth mountain bike racers!

Family Scavenger Hunt - a free event purely for families with elementary age riders, a compact course within Circle C Metro Park. 
Strider Race - a free event for the young riders that don't yet use pedals! 
Kids MTB Race - a free event on a short course that stays close to the event venue, 12 and under only.

SATN Social Challenge - A celebration of the South Austin Trail Network. There are three routes that all start and return to the ATX Bikes' parking lot. The north is 18 miles, the east is 15, the south is 25. Do all three for a 58 mile ride! Tickets towards the raffle will be earned by completing 1, 2, or all 3 routes.
This is a self led ride following preset routes which can be found here-
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31330330
SATN SC riders can checkin starting at 8:00 AM. The cutoff for Podium classification is 3:00 PM. SATN Social Challenge will have it’s own Podiums with times based on your Strava.

• Like 2