IGNORED

40t, 42t, 46t, 50t... Where's the sweet spot...

Everyone. Is. Different.

The lack of context is stunning. But expected. This is like saying "there are lots of cars out there these days, what are the best ones, without narrowing the field to how you drive, how many people are in your family, what you are looking for in a car and what your budget is. A new Mercedes and a 2004 Hyundai are both viable answers. There you go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Trailrider said:

It's so flat around here .

One of the unfounded biases I had when I moved here a dozen years ago. Once I got over myself, I realized that riding here IS fun and can be challenging.

That said, I ride with a 32 90% of the time. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Everyone. Is. Different.

The lack of context is stunning. But expected. This is like saying "there are lots of cars out there these days, what are the best ones, without narrowing the field to how you drive, how many people are in your family, what you are looking for in a car and what your budget is. A new Mercedes and a 2004 Hyundai are both viable answers. There you go.

You are most certainly an ass, AustinBike... Which is common for those who think highly of themselves.

Here... Let me dumb it down for you.

Context...

"...what's the experience feedback on them?..."

No asking for "...best of...".

Can you at least grasp that, foolish fellow who wants folks to think he's quite bright?

I specifically applied no context... Other than an individual's experience... Which opens it up to whatever "...context..." the individual had their experience in.

Look... Thinking about it, I apologize, AustinBike... My last sentence (which I deleted) was a bit harsh.

Edited by RidingAgain

8 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I think the question is: what range of gears on a cassette works best?

Without the context of chaining(s) size and wheel/tire size, the answers are meaningless.

And here's another one...

mack_turtle...

Unless you're a fool... Your first response was only focused on rear... Which means you had to be thinking there was meaning to being just focused on the rear.

Was your first response just you speaking meaninglessly?

I think not.

Experience...

"...Chainrings, right? Then I say a 40T with a 20T cog works pretty well around here."

Experience...

"...I spent 2 years on gx 42, 2 years on gx eagle 50, and just switched to XT 46. Big fan of the 46 so far. 42 was a bit too tough at times. 50 was a lot of spinning....".

And experience...

"...
It's so flat around here you can put a 30t on the front and run a 10-40 or 11-40 and very rarely run out of gear. oh and just so you know, 40t is a bigger gear than 50t."

Thank you.

Edited by RidingAgain

2 hours ago, TheX said:

One of the unfounded biases I had when I moved here a dozen years ago. Once I got over myself, I realized that riding here IS fun and can be challenging.

And here the old man just gives a proper... Experience... Response.

That's how easy it is.

Just be normal.

Edited by RidingAgain

5 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

And this...

As someone who has been conducting research for some 35+ years... I know where to look when conducting research. But thanks for the link, I'll add it to the fifty or so online bicycle resources I already have bookmarked.

And as someone who has been "...Click buy[ing]..." through online stores since around 1998, I'm pretty sure I know how it works.

But my interest here was to hear the experiences of local riders who participate on these boards.

Edited by RidingAgain

3 hours ago, TheX said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say. There are very rarely long enough descents to build up enough speed to spin out a 30x10. This isn't Colorado.

24 minutes ago, Trailrider said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say. There are very rarely long enough descents to build up enough speed to spin out a 30x10. This isn't Colorado.

When I first moved here, I didn't think there was any REAL mountain biking to be had. I was used to long climbs and descents. I was used to having to earn the ride back down. I was wrong, there is a lot of good riding here.

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

And this...

As someone who has been conducting research for some 35+ years... I know where to look when conducting research. But thanks for the link, I'll add it to the fifty or so online bicycle resources I already have bookmarked.

And as someone who has been "...Click buy[ing]..." through online stores since around 1998, I'm pretty sure I know how it works.

But my interest here was to hear the experiences of local riders who participate on these boards.

i can only imagine how you "conducted market research" before the advent of the internet. god help those employees

The preferred ratio is completely subjective. What drivetrain do you have currently and is it too much or too little. Once you answer that question for yourself, go to a calculation link such as the one i posted and determine what would work best based on your current condition. Click buy.

Very simple.

• Like 1