IGNORED

40t, 42t, 46t, 50t... Where's the sweet spot...

15 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

i can only imagine how you "conducted market research" before the advent of the internet. god help those employees

The preferred ratio is completely subjective. What drivetrain do you have currently and is it too much or too little. Once you answer that question for yourself, go to a calculation link such as the one i posted and determine what would work best based on your current condition. Click buy.

Very simple.

ATXZJ says... "i can only imagine how you "conducted market research" before the advent of the internet. god help those employees"

LOL...

From your own words it would seem that you're a bit lacking in understanding on the variety of ways market research was conducted "...before the advent of the internet...". But hey, that's okay.

As for the rest of what you said... Perhaps you're also short on understanding regarding the relationship between personal experience and "...subjective...". But hey, that's okay too.

Your lack of understanding issues aside... Again, thanks for the, ahh, basic advice.

16 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

RA- like I said, the appropriate cassette range depends on wheel /tire size and the front chainring. Please state your question in that context.

And...

Maybe if you give other folks a chance, mack_turtle... To speak about their own experiences... Thoughts on these various influences will come out.

And that is the context I stated in my very first comment.

Tell me, mack_turtle... If you went to the beach and had a swim in the water... And I asked you how was your experience of it... Would you think to respond to me saying that I needed to state my question to you in more specific context... Including related things like temperature of the water, effects of currents, algae growth, types of fish, effect of beach erosion, and other such things? 

48 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

ATXZJ says... "i can only imagine how you "conducted market research" before the advent of the internet. god help those employees"

LOL...

From your own words it would seem that you're a bit lacking in understanding on the variety of ways market research was conducted "...before the advent of the internet...". But hey, that's okay.

As for the rest of what you said... Perhaps you're also short on understanding regarding the relationship between personal experience and "...subjective...". But hey, that's okay too.

Your lack of understanding issues aside... Again, thanks for the, ahh, basic advice.

So you're asking people who did the "research" and actually bought and tested these components to waste their time by telling you what works? 

Your sweet spot seems to be right around 2004-2005. Stay there.

Edited by ATXZJ

30 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

So you're asking people who did the "research" and actually bought and tested these components to waste their time by telling you what works? 

Your sweet spot seems to be right around 2004-2005. Stay there.

I guess it was just too much to think you'd just not be an ass again. But you had a good run going there. Pity.

41 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

I guess it was just too much to think you'd just not be an ass again. But you had a good run going there. Pity.

oh, being an ass is "subjective" isn't it?

One (or more) could perceive you as being an ass for asking so many questions about sh*t you'll never buy. 

nev·er

/ˈnevər/

Learn to pronounce

adverb

at no time in the past or future; on no occasion; not ever.

"he had never owned anything new in his life"

synonyms:at no time, not at any time, not ever, not once, on no occasion; 

literaryne'er

"his posts are never coherent"

not at all.

"he never bought shit"

synonyms:not at all, certainly not, not for a moment, not under/in any circumstances, under/in no circumstances, on no account

Edited by ATXZJ

37 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I tried to ask a clarifying question in the interest of being helpful. Nevermind.

Thank you...

But I really think, as I said... I was as clear as I needed to be... And it seems others... And even yourself... Were clear about that... Given your original response.

Maybe you just get too drawn into the foolishness of others.

11 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

My original response was cheeky but accurate. I have a 20t cog on my bike. Context (although you didn't ask for it): 29x2.4" tires, 34t chainring.

There ya go... Perfect.

Context... 20t cog.

Further context according to what you feel is helpful... 29x2.4, 34t chainring.

Honestly... All the crap two people thought to inject into this thread was only a result of pent up offended feeling issues they suffer from.

Don't go down that useless road with them, mack_turtle.

Edited by RidingAgain

20 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

There's a lot of guys on here with older bikes & gear who are cool, and fun to ride with. 

My only complaint about older bikes is parts availability. I had a Giant VT1 about 15 years ago that was a GREAT bike. I would ride it today if it's all that I had.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

You not having the newest thing isn't the issue. There's a lot of guys on here with older bikes & gear who are cool, and fun to ride with. You're not one of them.

Go utilize those 35 years of research to find out why.

But you've — to my knowledge — never actually met me, nor have you ever ridden with me, ATXZJ... So, like the old man, you're kind of inserting dishonesty in order to try and support your foolish speaking.

And the moment someone has to resort to dishonesty exposes the poor foundation they are trying to stand on.

This aggression you feel toward me is a result of my putting you in your place way back on MOJO... When you thought to try and inject yourself into a thread with some macho biker routine.

Dude... Get past it already.

Remember when I invited you to have a beer with me... I meant it. But you got all bitchy and pouty about me even suggesting it.

Come on man... You're not a teenager... Conduct yourself according to the maturity of your age.

3 minutes ago, TheX said:

My only complaint about older bikes is parts availability. I had a Giant VT1 about 15 years ago that was a GREAT bike. I would ride it today if it's all that I had.

Good for you old man.

I respect that.

Here's hoping ATXZJ doesn't think he needs to tell you that your sweet spot in 2004 too, and that you should stay there.

Edited by RidingAgain

2 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Good for you old man.

I respect that.

Here's hoping ATXZJ doesn't think he needs to tell you that your sweet spot in 2004 too, and that you should stay there.

He buys good stuff. Bought one of my favorite bikes from me so I had no need to tell him anything.

You on the other hand, will not buy a 40t, 42t, 46t, 50t or much else for that matter. The only cog that big will be on the front of your 3x system clanging away with that seized up lefty.

Edited by ATXZJ

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

He buys good stuff. Bought one of my favorite bikes from me so I had no need to tell him anything.

You on the other hand, will not buy a 40t, 42t, 46t, 50t or much else for that matter. The only cog that big will be on the front of your 3x system clanging away with that seized up lefty.

Oh... Okay.

I understand.

You two are a thing.

Like Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

Edited by RidingAgain

Okay... Hopefully the Dynamic Duo have, ahh, done their thing and this thread can get back to the intended topic.

So this is an article I read on the subject.. And it was pretty informative.

Yet it ended with this conclusion...

"How does all of this translate on the trail?

Which gear ratio is best? There’s no way to answer this question without factoring in the rider and the kind of terrain that you typically ride in. Once you’ve understood the basic gear ratio calculations though, you’ll be able to work out which chainring size best suits your kind of riding."

And for me...

"...your kind of riding..." = Personal experience.

Technical specifics are wonderful to have as a reference... But so is feedback from actual experience... Which is why online reviews are so important a resource these days.

Here's the article...

And keep in mind... It's not just related to my thoughts on component upgrades... There are many other riders who frequent this website (and I know I tell many about it) who may be considering the matter also... So don't let you thoughts about me stop you from helping the wider community on a whole.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/gear-ratios-mtb-drivetrain/

Edited by RidingAgain