IGNORED

40t, 42t, 46t, 50t... Where's the sweet spot...

Here's an interesting comment to the above linked article...

"I think it’s funny that people think they need more than seven or eight gears. If it’s the same ratio of gears why do we need more?
We are more than seven gears right now because no one who rides a bike understands we’re better with seven. It works better, you have the same ratio and you saved a whole bunch of parts. You save money you saved weight you shaved shifting problems. Thank you for nine now bring us seven !!!"

Edited by RidingAgain

15 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Here's a follow up to the Seth Bike Hacks bit on Box big cog 9-speed offering...
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Only-9-Speeds-Is-Simpler-Better-BOX-Launches-Prime-9-Drivetrain,2760

15 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Here's an interesting comment to the above linked article...

"I think it’s funny that people think they need more than seven or eight gears. If it’s the same ratio of gears why do we need more?
We are more than seven gears right now because no one who rides a bike understands we’re better with seven. It works better, you have the same ratio and you saved a whole bunch of parts. You save money you saved weight you shaved shifting problems. Thank you for nine now bring us seven !!!"

I actually would like to discuss this as I find it, as usual, a lot of hype. However, stuck and work and unable to put down my full thoughts right now. In short, I don't get it? My 1x10 and 1x11 is perfectly reliable and more than enough ratio for where I ride. If all you did is ride up, and then ride down then it makes more sense, but I rarely do that anymore. 

• Like 1

There was a comment by someone where he says he made a DIY 7-speed cassette (I think it was 7) from a 10-speed (I think it was 10) cassette using the larger cogs... Something like a 12/46 7-speed cassette. He said because of what he rides, he really only used 28-46, or something like that.

Perhaps what's next for drivetrain design development are environment specific drivetrains.

Then of course will come quick-change drivetrains.

Which would go perfectly with quick-change geometry, fork/shock travel, dropper seat posts.

Edited by RidingAgain

25 minutes ago, TheX said:

They work.

For you... And others... But obviously not for those who would go to the length of a DIY 7-speed for their personal use.

And therein is the context of personal "...experience...".

I used to think that 580mm handlebars worked... Then 620mm... Then 680mm... Then 720mm... And now 760mm. And I just bought an 800mm this weekend.

As I think ATXZJ brought up, it's got a whole lot of subjective involved.

And I think that as overall bike design evolves, related things can change.

Who knows... Some kind of new design chainring/crank combination may make a 7-speed the next best thing.

4 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Well that looks fantastic! Yet another company trying to make proprietary bullshit that will be impossible to service and also be absolutely non future proof. That shock looks like an absolute nightmare being built into the rear triangle like that. well done Trek! Taking cues from Cannondale are you? Oh BTW two manufacturers of bikes I'd never buy.

• Like 1

Oh and back on thread topic. The sweet spot for any gear ratio is the one that feels best to you for your style of riding. Biomechanics plays a bigger part in what gear ratio is right for you than a gear ratio calculator does. Also the difference between 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 speed is not so much the ratio itself but the closeness of ratios making shift jumps smaller therefore making the amount of effort to spin those gears easier. More gears creates more sweet spots for a broader range of riders.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chief said:

More gears creates more sweet spots for a broader range of riders.

Right, and conditions.

For me, I'm thinking the sweet spot for number of gears is probably lower, like in the 7-8 range. I know that with the 11-speed setup I have now, I'm often jumping 2 gears at a time on the climbs and descents. Since I rarely use the lowest cog (50 I think), I could get rid of that, plus one in the  midrange, adjust the tooth counts, and that'd put me at 9 gears.

Maybe we'll get to the point of purely custom cogsets, although I could see that being a rathole of configurability that maybe I'd rather not delve into.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Chief said:

Well that looks fantastic! Yet another company trying to make proprietary bullshit that will be impossible to service and also be absolutely non future proof. That shock looks like an absolute nightmare being built into the rear triangle like that. well done Trek! Taking cues from Cannondale are you? Oh BTW two manufacturers of bikes I'd never buy.

but the carpet matches the drapes

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chief said:

Okay...

But how about that chain guide?

58 minutes ago, Chief said:

Oh and back on thread topic. The sweet spot for any gear ratio is the one that feels best to you for your style of riding. Biomechanics plays a bigger part in what gear ratio is right for you than a gear ratio calculator does. Also the difference between 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 speed is not so much the ratio itself but the closeness of ratios making shift jumps smaller therefore making the amount of effort to spin those gears easier. More gears creates more sweet spots for a broader range of riders.

That's kind of obvious from the phrase... "sweet... spot...".

But the actually topic is... What's your sweet spot (experience)... Not what is a sweet spot.

And for sure... The more cogs (as long as they are closely related size wise), the smoother the transition.

But we should know that in the beginning of 40/42/46/50t trend (which is the thread focus) the jump wasn't — and for some still isn't — that smooth.

Have you ever found yourself caught, in a manner of speaking, in between gears in a situation, instead of just staying in the gear you're in and using power to do the job?

Shoot, that would happen with me when I used a 7-speed drivetrain.

5 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

And therein is the context of personal "...experience...".

Exactly … so why then post a thread with the question …..  Where's the sweet spot...?

Are you really that interested in knowing what type of cassette everybody is riding on and why? Personally, I ride whatever came on my bike, including my 2014 Remedy that came with a 3X and I converted to a 1X but kept the same 11-36 cassette.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, throet said:

Exactly … so why then post a thread with the question ….. Where's the sweet spot..."

Are you really that interested in knowing what type of cassette everybody os riding on and why? Personally, I ride whatever came on my bike, including my 2014 Remedy that came with a 3X and I converted to a 1X but kept the same 11-36 cassette.

"...Where's the sweet spot..." according to your riding experience... As related to the big cogs that have now been around (being used) for a couple years now).

Which is made clear in my first comment... "Just wondered, now that these big gears have been around for a while, what's the experience feedback on them?"

And am I really interested in knowing what type of cassette everybody is riding?

No... I'm interested in hearing the riding experience as related to the big cogs... Which is why I specifically asked about the big cogs... 40t, 42t, 46t, and 50t... Which, again, I made clear from my very first comment.

Regarding what you ride... So are you saying that riding a bike with a 36t cog or a 50t cog (if your bike came with one) makes no difference to your riding experience? If so, you'd be the first person I've come across with that feedback.

Edited by RidingAgain