IGNORED

"My preferred ratios can change with brands of tires."

RidingAgain

When I was a kid I'd listen to short stories by folks like Hans Christian Andersen... On, of all things, LP (that's long play for those young folk) records.

One of these stories was called "The Princess And The Pea" and was about a young princess who could not sleep well because of a little pea that had been placed under her mattress by a concerned mother of a prince who wanted to marry the princess. The mother wanted to test the princess to see if she really was a princess, as I guess a real princess could not sleep well with a pea underneath her mattress.

This comment (the title of this thread), made on another thread, reminded of "The Princess And The Pea" story... And I wondered... No... Not how many princesses there are out there in mtb land... But experience others have had regarding "...preferred ratios..." changing with tire brand being used?

And if the above is not enough context...

How about when changing rim brand... And/or tube brand... And/or sealant brand... Brake disc brand... Or size... Spokes... Air pressure....???

And oh crap...

What about tire wear... Does tire wear influence a change in "...preferred ratio..."?

Now I'm totally screwed...

Because I'm thinking the same principle can apply to seats... And chainring/cassette wear... 

I'm getting visions of Formula 1 type racing, where everything is so exact a science that the car is completely rebuilt after every race.

Yikes!

And here I've just been enjoying my riding all these years without giving a second thought to all this stuff.

Anyone else totally thrown out of whack now?

Edited by RidingAgain

20 minutes ago, notyal said:

"Brand" of tire, maybe not...but type of tire, maybe.

It was just the point that so many factors can change that. I use 1x11 so I change the chain ring for different conditions. anywhere from a 30 to a 38. I use Wolftooth so it's really easy to change. 

• Like 1