IGNORED

Three-day weekend trip

mack_turtle

I rarely leave Austin to ride. I'd like to go someplace remote and beautiful sometime this fall/winter for a camp/ride trip. Must be less than a full day drive away so I can squeeze it into a three/four- day weekend.

Edit- my wife doesn't ride, so I need something that she can enjoy while I get some riding in. she likes camping, just not riding a bike. she's a gym rat, but being in a gym riding a bicycle that literally goes nowhere bores me to death. I might make this a riding-only trip and leave her to do her own thing, but we usually do these things together.

Big Bend is the first thing that comes to mind but I don't know much about it. What have you already done and what's on your bucket list?

Edited by mack_turtle

Wife and I have done day drives to big bend, Bentonville and Palo duro. For a 3 day, I'd do Palo duro. Not worth the drive to Bentonville for just one day. Big bend is cool if you're looking to get off the grid but I'd plan a couple days there too. Riding wise, Palo is just as, if not more serene than BB and the trails are WAY more fun. If you could push to 4 day, you can enjoy the flow trails and the newer more aggressive stuff like rock garden and comanche. 

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/302693/rock-garden-trail

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7004369/comanche-trail-mid

Plenty of camping and lodging in area. It was mid October when we were there and weather was perfect.

HTH- Marcus

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

My October Bentonville plan has been slightly derailed, but I'm looking at heading towards Lake Ouachita, for a few days of MTB'ing Womble trail, and then camping/Kayak fishing early Nov. Not sure about how the weather is during that time, but it looks like under and 8 hour drive? Other trails in the general area to ride as well if the fishing is shit. I sure want to see Arkansas in the fall.

• Like 2

With 4 days total, you could pull off Bentonville.  If you packed it tight you could ride every day.  But I think I'd try to ride 2.5.  

Day 1- Drive to Bentonville, settle in, eat well and get good nights rest

Day2- Ride Slaughter Pen 1-3, Coler Park, and some other systems all with in riding distance

Day3- Ride Back 40 and as much of the "inside 40" stuff that you can mange (I've done 7+ hrs of riding all in that same system)

Day4- Get up early drive a little south towards Fayetteville and ride Mt Kessler.  Jump in the car and head home.

(I've got all of these routes/days laid out in my Strava record from last Sept 17')

Later,  -CJB

• Like 1

Man, I can't tell you how many times I've driven by (well, close enough by) Palo Duro and haven't stopped.  I've never been there in the 20 years I've lived in Austin.  I wonder how the weather there is in late October, as I'll have another opportunity then.  Also never been out to Big Bend, not sure how good of a destination it is for mountain biking.  Bentonville sounds like a good weekend trip if you can leave on Friday and come back Monday.  

Weather was low 40s in AM and high 60s in mid oct of 2015. All in all its a cool place to ride and visit. Cadillac ranch, Big texan steakhouse & brewery and theres a  fairly decent downtown in amarillo. They have torchys, and rudys so its not all bad. If you go to canyon, stop at palace coffee. Some of the best java ive had.

Comanche was the closest to a SW/New Mexico trail id ridden in texas. IMHO, youre doing yourself a disservice if you dont set aside 3+ full days just for riding in bentonville. 

Rock garden

IMG_20151025_134546.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ

1 minute ago, ATXZJ said:

All in all its a cool place to ride and visit. Cadillac ranch, Big texan steakhouse & brewery and theres a  fairly decent downtown in amarillo.

So is Amarillo where all of these places are, or is there also food and lodging in the town of Canyon? Tempted to go right now given the state of things around here.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, throet said:

So is Amarillo where all of these places are, or is there also food and lodging in the town of Canyon? Tempted to go right now given the state of things around here.  

I got a pretty good deal at the best western in canyon. food is meh but we didnt look too hard.

amarillo is super close though if you want good food 

• Thanks 1

I'm fortunate enough to be able to keep a bike in Colorado Springs. If I leave on the first DIA flight Friday morning, and take a late afternoon flight back on Monday (usually using miles), I get four awesome high altitude rides in. Don't get rid of your old bikes - make friends in Colorado!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TAF said:

I'm fortunate enough to be able to keep a bike in Colorado Springs. If I leave on the first DIA flight Friday morning, and take a late afternoon flight back on Monday (usually using miles), I get four awesome high altitude rides in. Don't get rid of your old bikes - make friends in Colorado!

That is a damn good idea.  I know someone who moved recently from Austin to Colorado Springs.  Never been there, though, so don't know how good the mountain biking scene is. 

..Al

I guess it depends on how relaxed of a trip you want... do you have a maximum drive time? For me, 23 hours qualifies as "less than a full days drive" 😀; I've driven straight through to Phoenix (16+) just to spend a day on South Mountain...

If less than 10 hours is the criteria, then I think Palo Duro is the ticket; it's different, scenic, and the riding, while not challenging, is fun. I've spent some time in the Big Bend/Terlingua/BB Ranch SP on a street legal dirtbike as well as hiking and back packing, and while I love that place, I really don't have much of a desire to mtb there. Most singletrack trails are either off-limits to bikes, or on private property, limited to events. Another option is El Paso, but I haven't ridden there yet. Ruidoso has some good flow stuff, if you like that sort of thing.

If you are willing to push to the 10 hour limit, the Santa Fe area is amazing, and the Aspens will be turning/falling... there is something special about flying through falling aspen leaves...

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

I will vouch for Palo Duro (unfortunately lived in Amarillo for 3yrs of my life I will never get back). It’s definitely scenic terrain but if you’re only going to make one trip there in your life time, go in the spring when the wildflowers are blooming. It’s amazing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAF said:

It's excellent.

+1

The park in town has some challenges (Palmer?) and the State Park next to NORAD has some fun stuff too. Many more trails up in the mountains, but might be best with a shuttle.

Just don't start late for a shuttle run to the trails in late Summer. DAMHIK

Johncicle.jpg.962f91659454e56ba0f086cb980264ab.jpg

We almost died of exposure trying to get off that mountain after getting caught in a big sleet storm.

Palo Duro is a lot of fun and if you leave early and plan to get home late you can ride all three days. I've often used it as an overnight on the way to Colorado, ridden when I arrive, again in the morning, then drive North, South or West for six to eight hours.

Edited by Ridenfool

11 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

I got a pretty good deal at the best western in canyon. food is meh but we didnt look too hard.

amarillo is super close though if you want good food 

We just stayed in Canyon on our way back from CO, that Best Western was a great deal, included a (mediocre) breakfast and allows dogs. Didn't get to ride PD this time around but we did drive through and it was spectacular, as always.

I am a big fan of Big Bend. Not all the riding out there is on single-tracks - quite a lot of it will be on double track jeep roads, but for me the remoteness of the place more than makes up for that. Having said that, there is still a tone of single track with all kinds of difficulty levels.

If you prefer more civilization (which is a relative term out there), you can stay down in Lajitas and perhaps ride all the airport trails one day, day two could be the Sauceda Epic loop, day three dome loops, etc...
The best way to do it, is to stay up in the park. There are many camp sites throughout, or you can even stay in the bunk house at Sauceda ranger station. Riding options are endless. If you do stay at/near Sauceda, ask for David - he lives there and can give you lots of good tips on current trail conditions, etc...

My trips out there ranged from 1 to 5~6 days I believe. Shin and elbow guards along with heavy duty gloves highly recommended (lots of pricklies everywhere). Carry plenty of water for the entire day of riding (besides Sauceda resupply options are almost non-existent up in the park).

If you decide to go there, I'll be happy to give you more detailed ride reports or share GPS tracks.

Bentonville in 4 days is definitely do-able.  If you leave early enough on day 1 you should still be able to get in a couple of hours of riding before dark.  Full days of riding (if you are up for it) on days 2 and 3.  If you still haven't had enough, get up early on day 4 and ride for a couple of hours, get cleaned up, and head home.  That was the plan for the trip I made a while back, but between some rain, some drinking, and generally not being in great shape, we did a lot less riding than expected.  We still had an amazing time, but it just wasn't realistic to think that a few weekend warriors were going to ride continuously for 3 days...

12 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

+1

The park in town has some challenges (Palmer?) and the State Park next to NORAD has some fun stuff too. Many more trails up in the mountains, but might be best with a shuttle.

My four days usually include:

• Red Rock Canyon > Fossil Brewing
  • Gold Camp Rd > Buckhorn > Capn Jacks > Bristol Brewing
  • Falcon Trail (Air Force Academy)
  • Oil Well Flats (Canon City)

In additions to the places mentioned, Iron Mountain is awesome riding, and you can reasonably drive to it (6 hours) and ride in the same day. You can stay in a cabin or camp (maybe) on the lake in that park or at a cheap hotel in town. Staying in that park would be an entirely different experience. 

There is enough trail there to ride it both directions and get your fill in a weekend. You can also make a short drive up to some of the other trails near bye.  I like this option because it is close enough to drive and ride in the same day. 

You can even tube in case you cant get your hands on a PWC. 

Edited by FJsnoozer

On 9/11/2018 at 3:41 PM, mack_turtle said:

I rarely leave Austin to ride. I'd like to go someplace remote and beautiful sometime this fall/winter for a camp/ride trip. Must be less than a full day drive away so I can squeeze it into a three/four- day weekend.

Big Bend is the first thing that comes to mind but I don't know much about it. What have you already done and what's on your bucket list?

So where you going?