IGNORED

Three-day weekend trip

mack_turtle

15 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

So where you going?

Don't know yet! Just got home from a week-long vacation and had to dive into work. I can't take another whole week off this year, so I am looking for what I can do on a short-term trip. I'll tally up all these options. Hopefully this thread is useful for people who want other options as well.

It sounds like a trip to the west end of the state might not be worthwhile if I have to spend two out of my three days just driving. I might look for something a little closer in Hill Country until I can find a way to do a whole week getaway. My priority is to find something with a great camping setting, and something that will challenge me to ride. My wife is going to be bored if we go somewhere and I spend the whole time out riding.

Edited by mack_turtle

6 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Don't know yet! Just got home from a week-long vacation and had to dive into work. I can't take another whole week off this year, so I am looking for what I can do on a short-term trip. I'll tally up all these options. Hopefully this thread is useful for people who want other options as well.

It sounds like a trip to the west end of the state might not be worthwhile if I have to spend two out of my three days just driving. I might look for something a little closer in Hill Country until I can find a way to do a whole week getaway. My priority is to find something with a great camping setting, and something that will challenge me to ride. My wife is going to be bored if we go somewhere and I spend the whole time out riding.

Dude, Drive to Tyler state park, Camp and ride in the beauty, then head  a few more hours over to  Iron mountain and repeat. 

The only problem is Tyler is a texas state park and may have limited availability.  

Both of these places are really neat with their iron packed soil and rocks. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Check out the new Forum Section called MTB Destinations under Mountain Biking. With the help of Albert, I set up separate threads for most of the destinations being discussed, and started each thread with links to google driving directions and MTB project trail info. For some that I'm familiar with, I've inserted other tidbits of info that should be helpful. For others, I'm in the process of copying-pasting from the wealth of information that's been posted historically on Mojo, which includes a lot of great info on Bentonville, Colorado Springs, and Sedona that I plan to bring over. So far I've posted up most of the destinations that are within a day's drive of Austin, but I'm hoping that others will join in following a similar structure, and start threads for other areas across Colorado, Utah, North Carolina, etc.  

• Like 3

On 9/11/2018 at 3:41 PM, mack_turtle said:

Big Bend is the first thing that comes to mind but I don't know much about it.

BBRSP is almost to big to squeeze into a weekend but can be done. I drove out the day before, slept in my car and pushed off the next morning. Rode for three days and drove back on the fourth. This was a bikepacking trip on the Epic Loop so logistics might not apply to the type of campsite trip you're asking about.

If you camp near Lajitas, you can ride from Barton Warnock into the Contrabando, Fresno Canyon, Dome Loop trails. Perhaps split up as morning and late afternoon rides. Or ride the Epic in one full day. All of these areas have interesting historic sites to explore and break up the riding.  Airport trail is close by as well. If you leave early, you can ride that same evening and vice versa on your last day. So two days of driving/riding and one full day of riding. Totally worth it. Beautiful scenery, amazing sky watching, and solitude.

1 hour ago, FJsnoozer said:

Dude, Drive to Tyler state park, Camp and ride in the beauty, then head  a few more hours over to  Iron mountain and repeat. 

The only problem is Tyler is a texas state park and may have limited availability.  

Both of these places are really neat with their iron packed soil and rocks. 

Where is Iron Mountain? Never heard of it and not getting results on a Google search. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, DrunkyDrewster said:

Where is Iron Mountain? Never heard of it and not getting results on a Google search. Thanks!

http://www.degraylake.org/iron-mountain/

They had marathon Nationals there the last two years and there is an annual stop on the Enduro. 

21 mile trail that is well marked. you can ride it forward and backwards for a different trail experience and 42 miles of unique trail. Its also easy to split up into Multiple 10 mile blocks. 

https://www.trailforks.com/region/iron-mountain-3734/?lat=34.219770&lon=-93.073742&z=12&m=trailforks

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

PD State park for the win then. Theres lots of camping, hiking museum and wildlife and a stream down in there. Super cool place.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g55580-d109507-Reviews-Palo_Duro_Canyon_State_Park-Canyon_Texas.html

Dont go during early NOV

https://www.bikereg.com/39831

• Like 1

I forgot Iron Mountain.

3 solid days of riding within 30-45 min from Hot Springs. Much less time in a car if you want remote and don’t want to drive all the way up to Bentonville.

Iron Mountain is just south of Hot Springs on Lake DeGrey. West of Hot Springs the LOVIT is a new EPIC that runs along the south shore of Lake Ouachita from the dam west to near Mt Ida. Beautiful country in the fall. Then a little further west on the west side of Mt Ida is a classic, the Womble and you can throw in a bit of the Quachita trail if you want even more of an epic ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk