IGNORED

OneUp USA releases new version of their rack

RedRider3141

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/equip-d-single/

I can see some of their improvements but I'm not sure how it fits in their line up price-wise. 

Cost Comparison: All single versions in black, because the new one is black only.

• The "original" version: $350 ($319 in Silver)
  • The "new" version: $480 
  • The "Super Duty" Version: $410 ($380 in Silver)

Am I missing something, what makes the new version that much better?

I have the single silver one, but this one seems to be able to hold three with an add-on kit...mine doesn't. Mine is 2" hitch only, it's supposed to be *heavy duty*. It is REALLY well made.

Product Quantity Price
2" Super Duty Single
Color: Silver
1 $369.00

The nicest thing about the 1-Up is that you can change from 1-1/4" to 2" fairly cheaply. When I bought it originally I was driving an Infiniti sedan and it only had a 1-1/4" hitch option. Now my Nissan Rogue has either option. I could change out the connection part to 2" which is way more stable than using that 2" adapter on 1-1/4" rack.

With 1-Up you can only put two extenders on it. If you start with a single rack, you can get to 3 total. If you start with a dual rack you can go to four. In my opinion it is the best made rack available.

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

The nicest thing about the 1-Up is that you can change from 1-1/4" to 2" fairly cheaply. When I bought it originally I was driving an Infiniti sedan and it only had a 1-1/4" hitch option. Now my Nissan Rogue has either option. I could change out the connection part to 2" which is way more stable than using that 2" adapter on 1-1/4" rack.

With 1-Up you can only put two extenders on it. If you start with a single rack, you can get to 3 total. If you start with a dual rack you can go to four. In my opinion it is the best made rack available.

13 minutes ago, TheX said:

If you buy the single "Super Duty" it only comes in 2" and can NOT use the extenders. I bought this because it fits my needs but for many it may not be the best option. I have to agree with AB, it is the best rack I have ever used/experienced.

is there a list of all these expansion limits and nuances with the different versions of racks listed anywhere? 

I ask because a while back I did stupidly overload a 1 1/4" hitch bar with 2" adapter and snapped my one up rack off full of bikes, some of you probably remember that post on bikemojo... and since that happened I did get the upgraded 2" heavy duty hitch bar and side plates, but notice enough flex to make me pretty uncomfortable when I have 3 trays or more on the rack. the add on trays bolt together and connect to the main body of the rest of the rack using 2 big burly socket head 8mm Allen/hex bolts, but I imagine the weight and leverage of the trays loaded with bikes bouncing up and down the highway puts a a lot of stress on those connector bolts. I've been paranoid about that part of the design. does anyone else know what I'm talking about here

3 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

I imagine the weight and leverage of the trays loaded with bikes bouncing up and down the highway puts a a lot of stress on those connector bolts. I've been paranoid about that part of the design. does anyone else know what I'm talking about here

I remember when you tested your rack to failure but that is your approach with most things so I wasn't too surprised.  I was glad the result was just a good story and not four busted up bikes.  

I know what you're talking about with the stress on the connector bolts.  The first two bolts take all the load from the other trays and can become significant with four trays and heavy bikes.  Will it fail?  Eventually, I think it might.  I doubt that the bolts will fail but they are screwed into aluminum which is not the toughest material in the world.  If I was regularly carrying multiple bikes in an environment that shock loaded the rack (bumpy road at speed), I'd seriously look at beefing up that connection.  Shouldn't be too tough to do.

All that being said, I love my one-up.  I love it enough that I consider it worth every single penny I paid for it despite it being obnoxiously overpriced. 

Edited by Tree Magnet

I've mentioned it before, has anyone taken time to compare the Raxter Rack, to the 1Up?

Here's a few points to ponder upon:

• The Raxter has a foundation from the hitch up to the trays made of Steel which is much more durable and appropriate for a connection point that will experience repeated stresses, The sort that will lead to cracks in Aluminum.
  • The 2"- two bike folding Steel Raxter ($439)  weighs 8 pounds less than the 2"- two bike folding Aluminum 1Up ($569) 27% higher cost.
  • Both have the flexibility of converting from 1 1/4" to 2" (I have 1 1/4" folding and 2" non-folding bases that change out with four bolts)
  • Both offer a kit to convert from 2 to 4 bikes.   Raxter ($380),   1Up ($440 to add 2 bikes) 15% higher cost.
  • For those interested in only hauling 1 bike, ... the 1 1/4" - one bike Raxter ($229) compares to 1Up at ($319) 29% higher

I have owned a two-bike Raxter model for well over a decade and continue to sing its praises. This rack has been so dependable and easy to use that I took it all apart earlier this year and repainted the fading powder coat with bed liner for the next decade of use. When it was on the back of both a Subaru Impreza and a Forester I flew down bumpy gravel roads in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado with the only damage being rock chips in the paint.

The Raxter is worth a look by anyone who is in the market for a hitch mount rack.

The 1Up does look cooler. Beyond that I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Edited by Ridenfool

I've never seen a Raxter in person but looking at the website, it looks like the arm holding the wheel is plastic.  That bothers me.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are ways to improve the One-up but I like that it just works and it's so simple that I can see a failure coming before it gets there.

3 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

I've mentioned it before, has anyone taken time to compare the Raxter Rack, to the 1Up?

Here's a few points to ponder upon:

• The Raxter has a foundation from the hitch up to the trays made of Steel which is much more durable and appropriate for a connection point that will experience repeated stresses, The sort that will lead to cracks in Aluminum.
  • The 2"- two bike folding Steel Raxter ($439) and it weighs 8 pounds less than the 2"- two bike folding Aluminum 1Up ($569) 27% higher cost.
  • Both have the flexibility of converting from 1 1/4" to 2" (I have 1 1/4" folding and 2" non-folding bases that change out with four bolts)
  • Both offer a kit to convert from 2 to 4 bikes.   Raxter ($380),   1Up ($440 to add 2 bikes) 15% higher cost.
  • For those interested in only hauling 1 bike, ... the 1 1/4" - one bike Raxter ($229) compares to 1Up at ($319) 29% higher

I have owned a two-bike Raxter model for well over a decade and continue to sing its praises. This rack has been so dependable and easy to use that I took it all apart earlier this year and repainted the fading powder coat with bed liner for the next decade of use. When it was on the back of both a Subaru Impreza and a Forester I flew down bumpy gravel roads in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado with the only damage being rock chips in the paint.

The Raxter is worth a look by anyone who is in the market for a hitch mount rack.

The 1Up does look cooler. Beyond that I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I went to their website, but call it inferior to one up as soon as I saw the little plastic rim straps and the way it secures the bikes to the rack. the one up system is pretty much the best, bottom line. its the fastest, most straight forward securement system, all wheel sizes, no frame or rim contact, most versatile rack out there...

I got my early Kuat Sherpa at a BSS garage sale for quite a bit less than retail.  That was about 9-10 years ago.  The plastic bits are all fine.  I just recently took it apart to clean and oil the ratchets and it works like new.  The biggest thing I liked about it is how light it is which is important to me for not messing up my car's balance too much when I don't have bikes around.  It moves around when going over bumps and rough roads but it's fine.  Engineering a 2 bike rack so a lady can stand on it means 38lbs empty...which is too much for my taste.  I liked the 1Up but they also seemed heavier than my Sherpa.

7 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

I went to their website, but call it inferior to one up as soon as I saw the little plastic rim straps and the way it secures the bikes to the rack. the one up system is pretty much the best, bottom line. its the fastest, most straight forward securement system, all wheel sizes, no frame or rim contact, most versatile rack out there...

Anyone can "call" anything inferior. Such claims are meaningless without facts to support them.

The OP is asking what do you get for the extra cost for the new and improved 1Up? The Raxter is a valid comparison to measure the 1Up against in order to find an answer. Please accept my apology if this rack equals or bests 1Up on a number of counts.

MTBR rating for Raxter is 4.7 and reviews go back to 2006. 1Up is rated 4.8 and reviews go back to 2009. Not much difference in owner happiness it seems.

I've read of folks driving down the road and breaking 1Up's aluminum construction while carrying a 4 bike load. Not surprising I suppose, on a rack that itself adds ~15 lbs to the weight of four bikes, when compared to loading the same bikes on a Raxter.  Makes me wonder if the extra 15 lbs, multiplied by G-forces and applied to the lever arm of the length of the rack onto the point of failure might have been a contributor? Perhaps you missed that post? Oh, never mind you MADE that post. :classic_rolleyes:

Have you reports to share of folks breaking the Raxter? After using one for well over ten years hauling bikes and hauling ass I've never had bikes hit the ground. The securement system you have no experience with works as well today as it did when new. It has never faltered or failed. It works, as designed, mile after mile and I can have the bike on or off the rack in about thirty seconds.

Raxter pioneered a rack offering no frame or rim contact long before 1Up made their first rack. ("Auto Nesting" is Raxter's term for this) It isn't like Raxter built it and then had to constantly address failure points, and upgrade it over the years, while raising prices to cover engineering and advertising costs. The Raxter for sale today is nearly identical to what I purchased many, many years ago. The design has worked exactly as intended from day one delivering value to their customers. It is versatile, light weight, rugged, dependable, and a great value

And, for the record, the company that makes the racks is 1up-usa, not to be confused with the company that makes bike parts, OneUp Components.

Edited by Ridenfool

11 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

is there a list of all these expansion limits and nuances with the different versions of racks listed anywhere? 

I ask because a while back I did stupidly overload a 1 1/4" hitch bar with 2" adapter and snapped my one up rack off full of bikes, some of you probably remember that post on bikemojo... and since that happened I did get the upgraded 2" heavy duty hitch bar and side plates, but notice enough flex to make me pretty uncomfortable when I have 3 trays or more on the rack. the add on trays bolt together and connect to the main body of the rest of the rack using 2 big burly socket head 8mm Allen/hex bolts, but I imagine the weight and leverage of the trays loaded with bikes bouncing up and down the highway puts a a lot of stress on those connector bolts. I've been paranoid about that part of the design. does anyone else know what I'm talking about here

Pretty simple rule, you can put 2 additional trays on a rack. Period. A single rack can expand to 3, a dual rack can expand to 4. Regardless of the receiver size. Although a 1-1/4” is way more flexy in either case (3 or 4).

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

I got my early Kuat Sherpa at a BSS garage sale for quite a bit less than retail.  That was about 9-10 years ago.  The plastic bits are all fine.  I just recently took it apart to clean and oil the ratchets and it works like new.  The biggest thing I liked about it is how light it is which is important to me for not messing up my car's balance too much when I don't have bikes around.  It moves around when going over bumps and rough roads but it's fine.  Engineering a 2 bike rack so a lady can stand on it means 38lbs empty...which is too much for my taste.  I liked the 1Up but they also seemed heavier than my Sherpa.

Big fan of the Kuats myself. Bought the NV 2.0 new, and although pricey, it performs and looks great! I'm confident too that they will resolve any issue I ever have with it. In fact I have 3 of the bike repair stands that come with it because I thought the first one didn't work, even though it does, and the second one had a small scratch. If anybody needs one of those let me know as I'm happy to pass along the one with the scratch on it. 

5 hours ago, TAF said:

I'm a fan of anything which has no plastic parts, especially in the Texas heat. We've had a 2" 1Up with add-on rack for a few years now, and I recently found, buried away in their website, a $99 add-on rack hitch mount. So now I have two 1Up racks, one for each vehicle.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/add-on-hitch-adapter/

I'm not conversant in 1Up. What does this allow? You can take one of your bike trays and attach it to this add-on thing and then you have a non-folding, single bike, 1Up rack?

6 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

I'm not conversant in 1Up. What does this allow? You can take one of your bike trays and attach it to this add-on thing and then you have a non-folding, single bike, 1Up rack?

Exactly. For $99, I’ll take it.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 6:14 PM, Ridenfool said:

Anyone can "call" anything inferior. Such claims are meaningless without facts to support them.

The OP is asking what do you get for the extra cost for the new and improved 1Up? The Raxter is a valid comparison to measure the 1Up against in order to find an answer. Please accept my apology if this rack equals or bests 1Up on a number of counts.

MTBR rating for Raxter is 4.7 and reviews go back to 2006. 1Up is rated 4.8 and reviews go back to 2009. Not much difference in owner happiness it seems.

I've read of folks driving down the road and breaking 1Up's aluminum construction while carrying a 4 bike load. Not surprising I suppose, on a rack that itself adds ~15 lbs to the weight of four bikes, when compared to loading the same bikes on a Raxter.  Makes me wonder if the extra 15 lbs, multiplied by G-forces and applied to the lever arm of the length of the rack onto the point of failure might have been a contributor? Perhaps you missed that post? Oh, never mind you MADE that post. :classic_rolleyes:

Have you reports to share of folks breaking the Raxter? After using one for well over ten years hauling bikes and hauling ass I've never had bikes hit the ground. The securement system you have no experience with works as well today as it did when new. It has never faltered or failed. It works, as designed, mile after mile and I can have the bike on or off the rack in about thirty seconds.

Raxter pioneered a rack offering no frame or rim contact long before 1Up made their first rack. ("Auto Nesting" is Raxter's term for this) It isn't like Raxter built it and then had to constantly address failure points, and upgrade it over the years, while raising prices to cover engineering and advertising costs. The Raxter for sale today is nearly identical to what I purchased many, many years ago. The design has worked exactly as intended from day one delivering value to their customers. It is versatile, light weight, rugged, dependable, and a great value

And, for the record, the company that makes the racks is 1up-usa, not to be confused with the company that makes bike parts, OneUp Components.

Woah turbo! Good post. 

I broke the 1 1/4” hitch bar by stupidly adding the 4th rack and having it full of enduro bikes, after lots of use with loads over its rated maximum it failed. That’s my fault completely. 

But I don’t feel like I need to launch a science 🧪 🧬 🧫 study with a voting panel of experts to logically conclude having to put the bike on the raxter rack, attaching the rack arm to the front wheel, then bending down to mess with a little plastic buckle strap and get the tension *just right over Each rim on *each bike, and then tightening the quick release/tension lever, on the front wheel, then the back wheel. Also hoping that your bike-tray-staggering position is good to avoid bike part collisions and bikes rubbing together. If you have bike to bike contact/rubbing issues you gotta start all over 

On a one-up rack you open both wheel mounting arms, place bike on rack at your randomly desired left to right staggering position (not worrying about if the plastic strap is going to align under your wheel to put the strap over the wheel), quickly push wheel mount arm towards the wheel & bam! Quickly push other wheel locking arm towards the wheel & bam!  You are done 

sorry for the pissing match, and it's just my opinion. I actually just mounted a few bikes on a Thule rack last week and had all the mentioned issues  above. The raxter and Thule use pretty much the exact same front wheel arm + plastic riM buckle straps. Undeniably more effort to mount bikes on that style rack than a one-up