IGNORED

OneUp USA releases new version of their rack

RedRider3141

33 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

Woah turbo! Good post.

On a one-up rack you open both wheel mounting arms, place bike on rack at your randomly desired left to right staggering position (not worrying about if the plastic strap is going to align under your wheel to put the strap over the wheel), quickly push wheel mount arm towards the wheel & bam! Quickly push other wheel locking arm towards the wheel & bam!  You are done

That's pretty much how the Raxter works as well. Push the arms on after positioning the bike. Quick wrap in two places per wheel. Get in the car and be gone in 60 seconds.

Not sure if you think the Velcro is a plastic ratchet strap similar to those Thule and Yakima use. It is Nylon webbing with a generous amount of Velcro. That nifty stuff from NASA. It slides in slots to match wherever you put the bike to avoid contact with other bikes. The arm is a Nylon composite. Both seem to be impervious to UV exposure.

Does the same job for 27% lower cost. That's beer and bacon money, turbo. :classic_biggrin: But yeah, whatever works for a rider is what is best for that rider. Truce?

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

When it comes time to get another rack, I'll be researching multiple brands. Since I only need a single, there are a lot of good options for less than my 1up...but it just plain works. Unless someone hits me from behind, this rack will last a LOOOONG time.

18 minutes ago, TAF said:

Similar, perhaps - but not the same. I’m happy to pay the extra 27%.

Good on ya. 1up's advertising agency, marketing managers, and others beyond production and engineering costs who are getting their cut from the profit stream are depending on people with such a perspective to supply that extra 27% that pays them. Every little bit helps make America great again, right?

Edited by Ridenfool

6 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

Good on ya. 1up's advertising agency, marketing managers, and others beyond production and engineering costs who are getting their cut from the profit stream are depending on people with such a perspective to supply that extra 27% that pays them. Every little bit helps make America great again, right?

Well, now you're just being silly. I bought a 1Up because several friends had em, and it's obvious from the get-go that they are extremely well made. Plus, I was easily able to borrow one and determine that it folds up into a very compact size, and tucks into the corner of the trunk of an X3 - a big selling point for me. I've never seen an ad for a 1Up or a Raxtor, but I will say that you can  tell a 1Up folds up small just by looking at the home page of their website. Raxtor - you can't tell from the website.

Both the X3 and the 1Up were at R&I this past week - along with a bunch of other 1Ups -- you should show up more often, so that we can behold the mighty Raxtor!

• Like 1

Good logic there. Also supports my suspicions that more some of the cost of the 1up is going to more advertising than is for Raxter, hence their remaining almost unknown.

Since buying the van I have been using the Raxter less. I do need to get to an R&I once the temps get back to two digits. It is going on a year since the last one as I'm pretty sure it was the DST ride in November. Sure wish I wasn't an hour's drive away.

Here's a photo of the rack most often employed of late. 10 second loading. :classic_biggrin: The cost was higher than the 1up and this rack has really put a dent in fuel economy ... :classic_rolleyes:

BikeStowLR.jpg.d4233a670f11a3a3e29c9656473b44f0.jpg

Edited by Ridenfool

5 minutes ago, TheX said:

LOL, dudes having a biggest/best rack measuring contest.

Yeah right, one rack looks like you could cheaply build it yourself with items from home depot, and another that no one has ever heard of.....

Gotta argue over something during the week, while at work.

• Haha 1

People should buy the product that works for them. If someone asks, they should explain why the product was best for them.

This is not a religion. We do not need to convert people. The world can survive with multiple vendors. As a matter of fact the world survives BETTER with multiple vendors.

One thing that was not brought up was that 1-Up racks look better. Yeah, that may sound trivial, but when you drop $25K on a vehicle and you have a rack on it 24x7, how it looks is a consideration. Especially if you are married. My wife used to complain about by Thule dual tray rack on my car for years. Never made a peep about my 1-Up. There is a value in that. For me.

39 minutes ago, Ericbike6 said:

Yeah right, one rack looks like you could cheaply build it yourself with items from home depot, and another that no one has ever heard of.....

Gotta argue over something during the week, while at work.

Lol build a one up rack or even something comparable with nothing other than what’s inside a Home Depot and I’ll give you $1000. What are you gonna make it out of, lumber? 😂

And im down for a penis I mean rack contest any day

14 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

Lol build a one up rack or even something comparable with nothing other than what’s inside a Home Depot and I’ll give you $1000. What are you gonna make it out of, lumber? 😂

And im down for a penis I mean rack contest any day

I've looked all over their website, OneUp doesn't offer a rack in their product line. :classic_rolleyes:

But, yeah, I'd agree that 1up could have put more radius on some of those corners to reduce lending it an Erector Set appearance. Not that this is a bad thing. I kinda like the look.

Edited by Ridenfool

3 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

Ha! I was thinking PVC pipe, maybe?

I’m a former Raxter owner. Used it for 5 years. I agree with much of what RF has to say; however mine did have some shortcomings. The velcro straps did degrade and have to be replaced. Also, those nylon arms didn’t hold up to off-road use. I take some 4wd rodes at times and on rough sections when there is side to side rocking motion, the bikes would push the arms open. I’d have to stop while on the trail and push them back as they are held in place with friction at the pivot points. Trays are parallel and this sometimes made fitting bikes on difficult. Also, mine did fold up and so I couldn’t keep on the truck for garage parking.

Purchased 1Up double heavy duty a few years ago and couldn’t be happier. Those problems were solved as well as having improved departure angle given the stacked height of the rearmost 1Up tray.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, attaboy said:

I’m a former Raxter owner. Used it for 5 years. I agree with much of what RF has to say; however mine did have some shortcomings. The velcro straps did degrade and have to be replaced. Also, those nylon arms didn’t hold up to off-road use. I take some 4wd rodes at times and on rough sections when there is side to side rocking motion, the bikes would push the arms open. I’d have to stop while on the trail and push them back as they are held in place with friction at the pivot points. Trays are parallel and this sometimes made fitting bikes on difficult. Also, mine did fold up and so I couldn’t keep on the truck for garage parking.

Purchased 1Up double heavy duty a few years ago and couldn’t be happier. Those problems were solved as well as having improved departure angle given the stacked height of the rearmost 1Up tray.

And BOOM goes the dynamite!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Man all this rack talk makes me wish my Thule will break. It's been years and it gets uglier by the moment but wont break

I still have the original Thor's Hammer of racks - a Thule T2 with two-bike add-on. It weighs in at a modest 300 pounds, and is a thing of great beauty. It's more-or-less permanently on loan - I think Seth even borrowed it once, and couldn't break it.

• Haha 1

Just now, TAF said:

I still have the original Thor's Hammer of racks - a Thule T2 with two-bike add-on. It weighs in at a modest 300 pounds, and is a thing of great beauty. It's more-or-less permanently on loan - I think Seth even borrowed it once, and couldn't break it.

That description reminds me of the NorthShore 4 bike rack I had for a while. Weighed a ton, but made it easy to carry the bikes well off the ground on a great adventure. Eventually, a buddy in Houston wanted it for his Casita camper, dubbed the Stay-Puft. I was happy to cut him a deal on it.

1 hour ago, Ridenfool said:

That description reminds me of the NorthShore 4 bike rack I had for a while. Weighed a ton, but made it easy to carry the bikes well off the ground on a great adventure. Eventually, a buddy in Houston wanted it for his Casita camper, dubbed the Stay-Puft. I was happy to cut him a deal on it.

That is interesting that you abandoned a NorthShore for the Raxter (or any other rack of the tray style) because I mentally cross-shop the NorthShore style vs my current rack (T2). The downside of the NorthShore (or specifically, the Recon Rack) is that it sticks up so high even when you only have one bike to carry. Also, not sure if I'd like it with a pick-up truck since it would tower over the bed, at least until I have outfitted my non-existent Ford F-350 with the overland Hallmark Milner 6.5 that I will never buy.

IMG_6734.jpg?resize=768,512

What made you decide against the NorthShore?

2 hours ago, attaboy said:

Ok, so one bonus for the 1Up in your opinion is that the arms lock into place with a ratchet mechanism. ✔️

Regarding the tray orientation relative to the other trays, the Raxter advertises (WITH ZERO MARKETING BUDGET) that you can slide bikes fore and aft on the tray to make bikes nest better. You didn't find this to be true? That is one PITA with the Thule but I can usually slide trays around to get things to fit if I'm loading four bikes for a multi-day trip. Definitely not fun if I just want to load them for a quick trip across town.