IGNORED

OneUp USA releases new version of their rack

RedRider3141

1 hour ago, Anita Handle said:

That is interesting that you abandoned a NorthShore for the Raxter  ...

What made you decide against the NorthShore?

I already had the Raxter. Needed a four bike rack for a trip with three other Mojos and the NorthShore caught my eye.

After that trip I sold the Ford Freestyle that carried four with gear and really had no need for a four bike rack. It sat for a few years not being used until I mentioned it to my friend and it found a new home.

Between the two, the Raxter was the keeper for my application.

Edit: The primary reason I kept it is that I rarely leave a rack on the car. I'll remove it at the end of the ride day, so, light makes right for me.

The folding Raxter 1 1/4" weighs 38 lbs., and when converted to non-folding 2" it is closer to 30 lbs. 

The all steel 4-bike NorthShore weighs 50 lbs. and only fits 2" receivers. ( for those who are counting this is only 4 lb. heavier than the 2-bike 1up)

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

Ok, so one bonus for the 1Up in your opinion is that the arms lock into place with a ratchet mechanism. ✔️

Regarding the tray orientation relative to the other trays, the Raxter advertises (WITH ZERO MARKETING BUDGET) that you can slide bikes fore and aft on the tray to make bikes nest better. You didn't find this to be true? That is one PITA with the Thule but I can usually slide trays around to get things to fit if I'm loading four bikes for a multi-day trip. Definitely not fun if I just want to load them for a quick trip across town.

Yes, you can slide bikes to arrange them, but with droppers, I have scratched some. When we pack your bike, we’ll need to keep an eye on that. I think that a “lizard skins” type of dropper cover for transit would be an interesting product category. 

Ok, so one bonus for the 1Up in your opinion is that the arms lock into place with a ratchet mechanism. [emoji3581]
Regarding the tray orientation relative to the other trays, the Raxter advertises (WITH ZERO MARKETING BUDGET) that you can slide bikes fore and aft on the tray to make bikes nest better. You didn't find this to be true? That is one PITA with the Thule but I can usually slide trays around to get things to fit if I'm loading four bikes for a multi-day trip. Definitely not fun if I just want to load them for a quick trip across town.

you can slide fore and aft on raxter. but u can also do so with 1up. So thats a push. the 1up trays are at slightly different heights, which helps some. i usually have to lower dropper posts in both bikes and then all fits well.

I have a semi on topic question for this thread about my Kuat rack. I’m about to have a new bike and when it’s on the rack I want it to be as secure as possible, knowing that nothing is full proof. The weak point with my kuat rack happens to be the point where the rack connects to the hitch. I bought an upgraded lock compared to the tiny pin that comes with it only to find out the rack won’t line up (see picture below). Anyone know if the racks suggested in this thread have a similar issue? 

37597A70-BD57-48EE-87AD-7DAFA9550A49.jpeg

65FB8680-9819-4524-B03C-EDCF5916899E.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Skyyhorn said:

If there is no pin, how does the rack lock to the car/tow hitch? 

You slide it in and tighten  it with a special allen wrench. It expands a metal ball that locks it into place. There's a lock that goes in to prevent removing it. I use an extra cable lock to keep it from coming out if it somehow gets loose. It's really stable though.

59 minutes ago, TheX said:

You slide it in and tighten  it with a special allen wrench. It expands a metal ball that locks it into place. There's a lock that goes in to prevent removing it. I use an extra cable lock to keep it from coming out if it somehow gets loose. It's really stable though.

Ahh that makes sense. The Kuat I have is a simple handle that is hand operated with no tools.  I’d be down to see how it fits for sure, thank you for offering. 

As an aside for the cable lock backup, I have a hidden hitch system for carrying my bike and not for a trailer so I don’t have chain safety hoops like a normal system. 

22 minutes ago, throet said:

My 2" Kuat lines up perfectly. The heavy duty locking pin is simply a safeguard. The rack tightens down in the receiver quite nicely by simply tightening a knob. 

For some reason mine is off for the heavy duty lock. It’s certainly not to make it more secure structurally, but if I was looking to steal a bike and saw a tiny piece of metal that could fit into bolt cutters I would attack that first. I know I’m being paranoid, but i also want to think of any weak points in my setup to help prevent theft. From all the posts I’ve seen the thefts are from no locks at all, but I want to be that person that gives the finger to even the pro and makes him work to steal my stuff.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheX said:

My 2" Super Duty Single doesn't. Looking at the web site, it looks like the new ones have a slot for it. Mine is a year old.

That makes sense. I don't technically have a 2", I have a 1-1/4" that I replaced the receiver piece on a month ago, so that would have been one of the newest pieces. The only downside is that the "slot" is about 1/4" too short. When the rack it totally folded up, it actually touches the bumper. The next time it is off the car I might see if it is hollow - I could take a grinder to it to extend the slot a bit and move the rack away from the bumper. As it is right now the moving mechanism is a bit over tightened so it holds without the rack being in the "clicked" position.

9 hours ago, Skyyhorn said:

For some reason mine is off for the heavy duty lock. It’s certainly not to make it more secure structurally, but if I was looking to steal a bike and saw a tiny piece of metal that could fit into bolt cutters I would attack that first. I know I’m being paranoid, but i also want to think of any weak points in my setup to help prevent theft. From all the posts I’ve seen the thefts are from no locks at all, but I want to be that person that gives the finger to even the pro and makes him work to steal my stuff.  

From the picture it just looks like the model you have wasn't really designed to accommodate the larger pin, which is probably why it came with a smaller one. Most 1 1/4" to 2" adapters slide over the entire mounting arm to ensure the pin hole remains centered. Since you have the cam tightening system on your 1 1/4 arm though, whatever special adapter is being used below the mounting arm to fill the gap in the 2" receiver is causing the hole to go above center. That definitely is not a problem with their racks that have a 2" mounting arm. My NV 2.0 came with the large heavy duty pin and everything lines up perfectly.

Regarding theft protection, the large locking pin gives me piece of mind only for the rack itself. I keep it mounted almost all of the time and want it to stay put. Even with the locking pin on the rack and the integrated cable locks for the bikes, I would still would never leave my bike(s) on the rack out of my sight, not even in front of my house. I don't think you can ever be too paranoid when it comes to bike theft.      

• Like 1