IGNORED

Smart watch vs dedicated bike computer

tomreece

Amazfit Bip on the wrist. Great for gathering/monitoring lots of ride data including elevation, heart rate, time of day, GPS tracking, sleep cycles, activity (steps and such), and more, with access to details on the phone app.

The fact that the battery will run it for about six weeks on a charge is nice. Yes, six weeks. All that, and how it cost $79.00 is pretty sweet too.

51P2-XNgCCL._SL1000_.jpg

Planet Bike Wireless Computer on the handlebars. I like the accuracy of the Hall Effect sensor over GPS. It will usually record a higher mileage than the Bip on winding trails.

61UklW6mgdL._SL1100_.jpg

Edited by Ridenfool

I have the Garmin Forerunner 235 on my wrist, and a Garmin 830 on the bar normally.

Using a cadence sensor and a wheel sensor, helps with accuracy.  And both my watch and normal Garmin use the same single at the same time.

And everyone I know who has the Wahoo loves them by the way also.  I am sure it comes down to personal preference, we are all using the same satellites.

Suunto 9 Baro here.  I use it because it does just about everything.  Wrist and strap heart rate, displays heart rate zones, altitude, temp, built in GPS, steps, sleep tracking, recovery time, etc.  I use a mount for the handlebars when riding and wear it all other times.  Battery life is great too. I have it sync'd up with Strava and trainingpeaks.  I do use a basic garmin 25 to load routes when I'm riding in a new location travelling or for things like gravel grinders to make sure I stay on track.  If I had to choose one it would be the watch as I use it every day.

I live that Wahoo lifestyle. I used to have to take my Garmin off my bike and plug it in to the computer to manually upload rides. Now as soon as I'm within wifi range of the house or I connect it to my phone I get that sweet sweet Strava karma.

But really they are dead simple to set up and use with the smart phone and at least when I was doing comparisons came up cheaper than the comparable Garmin. I'd buy whatever is cheapest tho TBH. Had a Garmin Edge 500 for years it was fine. I like having a screen to look at and I don't like watches YMMV.

I use a Garmin 510 on my bike. The battery is getting old (~3-4 years now) so it no longer lasts a week, I get about 5 days on a charge still and that is pretty good. Bluetooth back to the phone means it never leaves the garage.

On my wrist I have a Fitbit Charge 3. That gives me calories for the day (my primary goal) and also tracks my sleep. I believe that the Fitbit will also track my rides if I let it but the reason that I like the Garmin is that it gives me something to look at and push myself during the rides. For riding I have a goal of 14 miles per day average so I know that if I am feeling tired I need to keep going if I have taken a couple of days off that week. Also, watching the average miles per hour it is good to push yourself to try to make it to the next 1/10th MPH mark. Little head games to keep the ride interesting.

And, ideally, I would like an Apple Watch, but the battery life sucks. They need some multi day battery life and quick charging. I plug the Fitbit in while I am showering every day and it stays in the 80-90% range. Left for Chicago for 5 days and accidentally forgot the charger. It was ~85% when I left and ~25% when I returned. I don't need apple at that level but I would love to have 2 days of life and maybe a 1-hour charge. The biggest reason to want the Apple Watch is being able to actually read texts on the trail. Right now the Fitbit is unreadable so when I get a text I have to stop, open my pack and pull out my phone. Pain in the ass, but I need to stay connected most of the time.

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

The biggest reason to want the Apple Watch is being able to actually read texts on the trail. Right now the Fitbit is unreadable so when I get a text I have to stop, open my pack and pull out my phone. Pain in the ass, but I need to stay connected most of the time.

I thought you were retired. Eventually, you will get over that 'stay connected' conundrum.

Just go ride. Your 'patients' will survive until you get back.

6 hours ago, AustinBike said:

And, ideally, I would like an Apple Watch, but the battery life sucks. They need some multi day battery life and quick charging. I plug the Fitbit in while I am showering every day and it stays in the 80-90% range. Left for Chicago for 5 days and accidentally forgot the charger. It was ~85% when I left and ~25% when I returned. I don't need apple at that level but I would love to have 2 days of life and maybe a 1-hour charge. The biggest reason to want the Apple Watch is being able to actually read texts on the trail. Right now the Fitbit is unreadable so when I get a text I have to stop, open my pack and pull out my phone. Pain in the ass, but I need to stay connected most of the time.

THIS ^^^^ was the driving reason for my purchasing the Amazfit Bip. It offers OVER A MONTH of battery life on each charge, and has all the bells and whistles, for about eighty bucks. Though it will only notify you of texts and calls, which is preferable for me.

Edited by Ridenfool

I have a Garmin 520 and tried out the Trail Forks feature while I was in Colorado this summer. In short, it was awesome. I didn't realize that my old 520 could do that. Basically, I made a route in Trail Forks with my PC browser, put it into my "favorites" and it downloaded to the Garmin Trail Forks app. Once loaded, it showed me the route and other nearby trail features, tried to tell me when to turn and warned me when I was off course. I personally like having a dedicated computer and a heart rate strap but having a HRM built into a watch is nice too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

I have a Garmin 520 and tried out the Trail Forks feature while I was in Colorado this summer. In short, it was awesome. I didn't realize that my old 520 could do that. Basically, I made a route in Trail Forks with my PC browser, put it into my "favorites" and it downloaded to the Garmin Trail Forks app. Once loaded, it showed me the route and other nearby trail features, tried to tell me when to turn and warned me when I was off course. I personally like having a dedicated computer and a heart rate strap but having a HRM built into a watch is nice too.

That is good to know.  I find it maddening to transfer files to my 520+ from RidewithGPS.  It should be way easier.  I'll give Trailforks a try.  Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

@AustinBike check out the Whithings watches.  I also refuse to get a watch that has a battery that has to be recharged daily.

https://www.withings.com/us/en/watches

We have their connected scale and love it. Their text notifications look small though and they scroll. My old Fitbit did that and it drove me crazy. When this one dies I will keep them on my short list and see what they are offering at that time.