IGNORED

So much for tubeless...

jcarneytx

Setup a pair of Hans Dampf for tubeless this spring, been working great so far. However, tore (cut?) a nice hole right between knobs. Even with a plug, it won't hold air. Tore coming down Mulligan drop at BC. Made it down ok, but air was gone by time I hit the sidewalk. 

Any place in town sell Schwalbe Tires? I can order one, but wanted to see if there was any place local to pick up another Hans Dampf.

Pics: sealant drained on ground. Dripping sealant with plug sticking out (still won't seal)

20190904_184315.jpg

20190904_183914.jpg

I've successfully put tube patches on the inside of the tire to seal punctures, so you might try that before throwing it in the bin.

Don't see Schwalbe locally much, I used to buy them from starbike.com or bike-discount.de which are much cheaper than buying domestically, but you have to wait a couple weeks for shipping from Germany.

Otherwise, I have at least one old Hans Dampf (29x2.35) with some miles left I'll give you if you are near southwest Austin.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

Thanks for the tips. For now, I'm cheating with a tube. When time for new tire, I'll set it back up tubeless. I'm a bit impatient and didn't want to wait for it to dry out, then clean, then attempt the patch, then wait to see if patch holds.

Given the price of Schwalbe tires, I'd fo dang sure give a patch a chance to work. At the least would be to dry the spot from the inside, add another plug and let it sit overnight and then attempt to inflate. Running tubes around here is just roulette, you will eventually be swapping out that tube.

2 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

Given the price of Schwalbe tires, I'd fo dang sure give a patch a chance to work.

When I got my back in April, I caught a rock edge on the creekside climb at the start of Windy Loop, and gashed the rear tire. It was brand new, probably 10 miles on it...

However, it was a clean cut, short, and I patched it from the inside after cleaning the sealant out. It worked a charm, and hasn't changed since then. I'm running 30psi.

3 hours ago, Shinerider said:

Size of Hans Dampf needed?  I might have one.

29x2.35...I'm going to try John's suggestion, run some superglue into hole (sort of flap with hole at bottom)

Ed, I did refill a bit of sealant, added about 15psi and let it sit overnight. Didn't hold air. When I got tire off, I did wipe it down, but there was a whole lot of gunk that needed peeling and some further drying out. I just got impatient, so threw a tube in there. I just remembered I have a set of an old set of panaracer rampage I can sub out, so might throw one of those on while I work on the HD. Also, not just Schwalbe tires are expensive. Stopped by Peddlers, looked at a couple Maxxis they had, they were more expensive than what I paid for these Hans Dampfs.

Edited by jcarneytx

7 minutes ago, brentb said:

When I got my back in April, I caught a rock edge on the creekside climb at the start of Windy Loop, and gashed the rear tire. It was brand new, probably 10 miles on it...

However, it was a clean cut, short, and I patched it from the inside after cleaning the sealant out. It worked a charm, and hasn't changed since then. I'm running 30psi.

Did you use a tube patch, or as someone suggested above, a car radial tire patch? I swear had several small boxes of the rubber repair kits, but can't seem to find them.

7 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

Did you use a tube patch, or as someone suggested above, a car radial tire patch? I swear had several small boxes of the rubber repair kits, but can't seem to find them.

I've used superglue with a small patch cut from an old tube that held for months. It was originally meant to be a bandaid until I bought a new tire, but then I got curious/lazy and let it ride for months. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

A round bike tube patch, about 1" diameter, with the vulcanizing/rubber contact cement included. Rough up the inside of the tire *slightly* because you don't want to scratch deep and start cutting tire cords.

And I also learned I had been installing these incorrectly, at least the brand I have. You're only supposed to put cement on the carcass you are patching (the tire in this case). Once dry, then press the patch on. I had been putting cement on both parts.

Edited by brentb
s/rubber/contact/g

1 hour ago, jcarneytx said:

29x2.35...I'm going to try John's suggestion, run some superglue into hole (sort of flap with hole at bottom)

Ed, I did refill a bit of sealant, added about 15psi and let it sit overnight. Didn't hold air. When I got tire off, I did wipe it down, but there was a whole lot of gunk that needed peeling and some further drying out. I just got impatient, so threw a tube in there. I just remembered I have a set of an old set of panaracer rampage I can sub out, so might throw one of those on while I work on the HD. Also, not just Schwalbe tires are expensive. Stopped by Peddlers, looked at a couple Maxxis they had, they were more expensive than what I paid for these Hans Dampfs.

When you are gluing, make sure you really clean things up. If you are going to glue a patch on the inside, get some fine sandpaper and lightly sand the inside of the tire around the tear. This gives you better gripping. If you have an old tube you can cut a piece for the inner wall to be a "patch".

Superglue the inside, glue some type of patch on top of that, then superglue the outside. Got me through the rest of bike trip as I ripped 2 sidewalls in 2 days. Don't bother to patch the outside, it won't last.

And, most importantly, really make sure you have cleaned out the sealant. It might help to let it sit in the sun for a day also.

38 minutes ago, brentb said:

A round bike tube patch, about 1" diameter, with the vulcanizing/rubber cement included. Rough up the inside of the tire *slightly* because you don't want to scratch deep and start cutting tire cords.

And I also learned I had been installing these incorrectly, at least the brand I have. You're only supposed to put cement on the carcass you are patching (the tire in this case). Once dry, then press the patch on. I had been putting cement on both parts.

This also cleaning the area with alcohol before putting the patch on helps the patch stick.

I use a dremel on low speed with a fine sandpaper drum when I patch my tubes.  I bet it works for tires too.  I'm pretty sure tire shops use a die grinder to get the surface ready for gluing.

Is contact cement pretty much the same thing?  Could I use an old tube and contact cement?  I have a bunch leftover from when I glued laminate for a countertop.

8 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Is contact cement pretty much the same thing?

Yes, it is. If you use part of an old tube for the patch, I think in that case you'd rough up both parts and apply cement to both, let them completely dry (10 mins or so), then stick them together.

Where I wrote "rubber cement" above is a mistake. Rubber cement is not a permanent bond. Contact cement is, though.

11 minutes ago, brentb said:

Yes, it is. If you use part of an old tube for the patch, I think in that case you'd rough up both parts and apply cement to both, let them completely dry (10 mins or so), then stick them together.

Where I wrote "rubber cement" above is a mistake. Rubber cement is not a permanent bond. Contact cement is, though.

Spend my formative years at a shoe repair. Rubber cement is excellent. Glue both pieces, let them dry. Stick them together, then *gently* pound them with a rubber mallet. This pounding helps the two sides adhere together. 

And Antonio, a Dremel is probably good for the inside of the tire, provided the sander does not start chewing up any sidewall threads.

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Spend my formative years at a shoe repair. Rubber cement is excellent. Glue both pieces, let them dry. Stick them together, then *gently* pound them with a rubber mallet. This pounding helps the two sides adhere together.

Maybe that is key. I'll defer to your sole-wrenching experience lest I come across as a heel.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

I have a box full of nearly new 29" schwalbe tires that I don't use. Pretty sure I have a HD that I'll just give you.

Switched back to maxxis a year ago and won't buy anything else.

What combo? F/R? I ALMOST bought a MAXXIS at Peddlers, but walked out instead. This is first/only set of Schwalbe I've owned. Also the first time I've ever torn a tire. Internet says it's a bit common with Schwalbe. 

I was using Nevegal/Small Block 8 for several years (26"), but not at Brushy. New bike last year had E13 something or other, but I found those to be slow and squirmy (really large side knobs), so switched to HansDampf. Liked how they worked, but now know they are not as durable as they could be. What would you recommend for rear specific Maxxis?