IGNORED

So much for tubeless...

jcarneytx

25 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

What combo? F/R? I ALMOST bought a MAXXIS at Peddlers, but walked out instead. This is first/only set of Schwalbe I've owned. Also the first time I've ever torn a tire. Internet says it's a bit common with Schwalbe. 

I was using Nevegal/Small Block 8 for several years (26"), but not at Brushy. New bike last year had E13 something or other, but I found those to be slow and squirmy (really large side knobs), so switched to HansDampf. Liked how they worked, but now know they are not as durable as they could be. What would you recommend for rear specific Maxxis?

For the back, I'd run an aggressor, ikon or at worst rekon. I currently run a griffin on the back and a dhf to steer on my xc bike. The extra 150-200 grams is worth the peace of mind.

Don't get me wrong, tired like the nobby nic is actually a pretty good all around tire until it isn't, and washes out. In places like ATX probably won't be an issue. The new HD2.0 is actually pretty nice and has found a place on the front of my wife's 29er. All my schwalbe have been evo snakeskin or whatever they are called now so tubeless was never an issue.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, throet said:

Curious if anybody has tried this Panaracer brand tire? Quite a selection and some at a really nice price. Just haven't heard of anybody using them around here.  

https://panaracerusa.com/product-category/mtb/

I ran a pair of Panaracers several years ago. I can't remember the model name, but the tread pattern looked like a direct Nevegal knockoff. They were heavy, but grippy and lasted a long time from what I can recall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notyal said:

That's the one! I didn't see it on the link given. They must not make it anymore.

You can still get them. Have a set of those on floor of garage. 

Decided to see about getting some Maxxis tires. Flatted again last night on 1/4 Notch. Schwalbe no good for rocks, apparently.

32 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

You can still get them. Have a set of those on floor of garage. 

Decided to see about getting some Maxxis tires. Flatted again last night on 1/4 Notch. Schwalbe no good for rocks, apparently.

I had been running Schwalbe's exclusively and never had a flat or torn a sidewall, and I ride brushy 5 times a week. They did shed lugs like dandruff though. I'm now running a Maxxis Aggressor out back and a DHF up front. They seem to wear better than the Schwalbe's did. I do about 5 miles on pavement from the house every time I ride at Brushy so that took a lot of life out of the tires. The Maxxis have much stiffer sidewalls compared to Schwalbe.

Depending on your riding style and clearance, here are some options:

Assegai 2.5WT + Aggressor rear 2.5WT  - this combo has lots of grip but is heavy.

Assegai 2.5 WT + Assegai 2.5WT - LOTS of grip but very heavy.  I have these on my bike at the moment and the traction is awesome, but you pay for it on the smoother stuff.

Minion DHF 2.5WT + Aggressor 2.5WT - Good grip overall.  Nice overall choice if you rider rougher stuff constantly.

Minion DHF 2.5WT + Rekon 2.4WT -  Good grip and decent rolling resistance.  Great overall feel and what i'll probably swap to, unless I try Assegai + Rekon.

Rekon + Rekon - Grip isn't as good but will roll faster.

Here's the Assegai I use.  There's a lighter option with just Exo that I'm assuming is a little less tough.

TB00172500 29X2.50WT 63-622 120 FOLDABLE 1,125 3C MAXX TERRA 50 3CT/EXO+/TR Black MOUNTAIN

Edited by fontarin

1 minute ago, fontarin said:

Depending on your riding style and clearance, here are some options:

Assegai 2.5WT + Aggressor rear 2.5WT  - this combo has lots of grip but is heavy.

Assegai 2.5 WT + Assegai 2.5WT - LOTS of grip but very heavy.  I have these on my bike at the moment and the traction is awesome, but you pay for it on the smoother stuff.

Minion DHF 2.5WT + Rekon 2.4WT -  Good grip and decent rolling resistance.  Great overall feel and what i'll probably swap to, unless I try Assegai + Rekon.

Rekon + Rekon - Grip isn't as good but will roll faster.

Super curious about the Assegai as a front tire for around here, how does it do on the rocks?  I like slow tires so no worries on that front.  Have always had good luck with a DHF, but I am curious to run an Assegai up front.  

1 minute ago, rockshins said:

Super curious about the Assegai as a front tire for around here, how does it do on the rocks?  I like slow tires so no worries on that front.  Have always had good luck with a DHF, but I am curious to run an Assegai up front.  

Solid so far.  I rode Cedar Breaks - Russell and back and had zero complaints.  Held up well and grip was good.  Hoping to get out to City Park soon but haven't had the chance yet.

Edited by fontarin
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, rockshins said:

According to amazon, its cheaper to buy the spear than the tire.  

Capture2.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheX said:

Dam you!!!!1 Now I want a spear.

What's funny, I was thinking about spears the other day, in regards to viability of use in home defense, vs a 10mm pistol, which then led me to start thinking about what kind of wood be best for mounting a forged spear tip, something like you'd see in medieval times, then I started desiring to make one.

Oh, yeah, know I remember: was thinking specifically of that spear in the movie Dragonslayer. I seriously crushed on Caitlin Clarke.

Also, just installed a Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.3 on rear wheel. Good so far. Will ride 1/4 Notch tomorrow and see how different it performs vs Hans Dampf

Edited by jcarneytx
brain work
  • Like 1