IGNORED

11 speed on a 10-speed hub....

AustinBike

Yeah, I used your tool, it is very cool. Have some definite UI points that we should talk about over a beer some Tuesday night.
https://cyclingbuilder.com/user/AustinBike/saved/#view=968TwP
Since I have a Pike boost and pedals, It looks like I could build up a Ripley for ~$1600-2000 + frame cost. Considering my budget is ~$4K this could be a real good option. Heading down to talk to Wes today about the bike, might even demo one. I think Abrams is right that the Ripmo is more bike than I can handle, it's just not me.

I’m definitely interested in the feedback! Y’all are kind of the guinea pigs for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, brentb said:

If the 429 Trail is on your radar, have you considered the Pivot switchblade? Or is that more suspension than you'd prefer to have?

If you could build a Ripley for <$2k that'd be a great deal.

The Trail 429 would be a consideration, I have a friend with one and I might borrow it in the next week or two. The switchblade has 160mm of travel, far more than I need. 130 is the sweet spot, 140 is acceptable, but comes with some tradeoffs.

What turned me off about the Pivots is the price. Looking at a Ripley, the baseline lowest config is $4100. The Switchblade is $6,699. I realize that those are list prices and that it comes down to the discount, but I am thinking that I am in the $4-4,500 range and $5K if something REEEEEEAAAAALLLLYYY sweet happened to fall into my lap. Looking at the price of Pivots, I'd rather look at the Ibis, which is a very respectable bike and put the rest into my next vacation. If this were the only bike I owned and would ever own, I could make the argument for spending a little more because of the amount of riding that I do. But I already have an (expensive) steel single speed, a hardtail (that I will be selling) and an urban bike, so it is harder to justify the big price tag. Especially for a guy that does not need a big air 160mm bike. I have a friend that rides one, they are sweet.

28 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Looking at the price of Pivots, I'd rather look at the Ibis, which is a very respectable bike ...

I would too! I guess I was remembering too much of the aluminum Switchblade, which was sub-$4k. When I was trying different bikes back in March or so, I have always liked the Pivots but they seem to start right at $5k, and I'm just not doing that.

1 hour ago, brentb said:

I would too! I guess I was remembering too much of the aluminum Switchblade, which was sub-$4k. When I was trying different bikes back in March or so, I have always liked the Pivots but they seem to start right at $5k, and I'm just not doing that.

Yeah, I had a Hammerhead (the old Titus) and that was a killer bike, loved the rear linkage. Pivot is the legacy of Titus, but they just are not as affordable as some of the other competitive bikes in the market.