IGNORED

Bike Packing in San Houston Nat'l Forest?

June Bug

On 9/8/2019 at 12:39 PM, TheX said:

I would love to give bikepacking a shot. I'm pretty sure my gravel bike can carry a lot of stuff.

Just based on riding the TMBRA course out there, lots of roots and sand.  

Sam Houston National Forest Maps

West Side Trails

East Side Trails

These are multiuse trails, so can be mountain bikes, hikers, equestrians, OHV

Edited by June Bug

There is a whole lot of trails in Sam Houston Nat. Forest. In the early 90's a buddy and I got lost back there for 13 hrs. Luckily hit a fire road at dusk and found a house that helped us out. it was hot af and we were dehydrated and fly bitten from hell. Quite an ordeal before cell, gps, and bikes were heavy. Also Tx Bigfoot country so heads up. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bart said:

Also Tx Bigfoot country so heads up. 

There are things in Lake Conroe more worrisome than Bigfoot. :classic_ohmy: ... news helicopter photo of gator out for a swim with a deer in its jaws.

image001.0.jpg

When bikepacking, that lovely overnight spot with a lake view may require further consideration before setting up camp. :classic_wink:

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

I did a trail run there a few years ago and I never really found myself saying “...this looks like some great terrain for a Mtb trail.” It’s sandy, pine needles, and all the roots that go with that.

I did a couple of trail rides there last year. I thought it was a blast. A great place to visit every couple of years, but I'd hate to live there.