IGNORED

Opinions on Buying a New Bike

AustinBike

Bought my  2018 YT Jeffsy last year, based on price/specs, compared to others. REALLY would've like that Pivot 429 Trail, but the price was a bit off-putting. The YT was fairly comparable spec-wise at about $1000 less. I was able to sit on a local medium for sizing. Didn't really care about 'test ride' as ANYTHING would've been quite different than the 2005 575 it was to replace. Quite happy with it. 

Edited by jcarneytx

1 hour ago, jcarneytx said:

Bought my  2018 YT Jeffsy last year, based on price/specs, compared to others. REALLY would've like that Pivot 429 Trail, but the price was a bit off-putting. The YT was fairly comparable spec-wise at about $1000 less. I was able to sit on a local medium for sizing. Didn't really care about 'test ride' as ANYTHING would've been quite different than the 2005 575 it was to replace. Quite happy with it. 

Yeah, I was interested in the Trail 429, but the entry point with the lowest build was over $6K. Yes, it has some better components and that adds up to ~$500 in price delta, leaving ~$1,300 still in pricing difference. All of the discounting in the world won't make that go away. I found this entire exercise interesting from a marketing perspective. There were a slew of bikes that all line up head to head that all have about the same components and all cost almost the identical $4,199. And the typical upsells were $4,499 and $4,899. So the price points were well established for a 130mm trail bike with SRAM components and a Fox fork. 

And then you had some outliers, like Pivot, that were way out of the park. And you try to figure out, is it REALLY that much better. And more importantly, would I ever REALLY notice the difference. Would love to have been in those marketing meetings.

• Like 1

I've been casually looking at various hardtails and went by CBarons place one day and rode his Stache around the hood a bit. Wasn't crazy about it to be honest.
A few days later I rode another dudes Stache (too easy. Dont ) and it was real nice. Enjoyed it alot. Same bike and size .. just the setups where dialed in specific to the owner.
If I made up my mind based on riding Cody's then I would have written it off the list. Riding the second one was an eye opener.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I didn't see his comment because I have him on ignore. This thread is a pretty good example of actual input, actual information from others and (hopefully next week) actual purchase. Maybe he'll learn from...oh, wait a minute, never mind.

Great input for sure. And I appreciate it.

Especially on the Specialized bike that I posted the specs for.

Edited by RidingAgain

4 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

OK. Bike decision has been made. More info next week once it all happens. No need to provide any additional input. This is how life should be. 

NICE! Let me know if you have any bikes that you'd like to convert to guitars. I have a lot going up on the blocks soon.

23 hours ago, AustinBike said:

If you are looking to buy a hardtail, I have a Vassago Verhauen (Steel) hardtail that I will be selling soon. Chris King wheels, pike, lots of good stuff....

Coupla questions:

• Max tire width for rear tire? 
  • What kind of wheels do you have on it now?  Interior rim width?
  • Is this your SS?
  • Bike weight as is?

17 minutes ago, June Bug said:

Coupla questions:

• Max tire width for rear tire? 
  • What kind of wheels do you have on it now?  Interior rim width?
  • Is this your SS?
  • Bike weight as is?

Right now it has 29x2.4s and they are fine. Don’t think it can go higher. 

Chris King wheels, nice set (anodized red) with Stan’s Arch EX wheels, will check the width this weekend. 

It is geared 1x10 SRAM X.0 but I also have the SS dropouts if you need them

i will have to weigh it, it is light

Also have some confit options if you want a dropper on it, etc. 

54 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Annnnd scene. Got a little setup work, but I have verified from my demo this morning that the Orbea Occam is THE best greenbelt bike in town. This is a 2019 (deal too good to pass up) and the 2020 is fancier and even more blingy. Fox fork and XT brakes, can’t be beat. 

7D1EA620-2E34-4431-AB9E-C2C286107B13.jpeg

Great choice. I'm sure you'll enjoy that bike. Very nice looking as well. 

Annnnd scene. Got a little setup work, but I have verified from my demo this morning that the Orbea Occam is THE best greenbelt bike in town. This is a 2019 (deal too good to pass up) and the 2020 is fancier and even more blingy. Fox fork and XT brakes, can’t be beat. 
7D1EA620-2E34-4431-AB9E-C2C286107B13.thumb.jpeg.25bd90e73fdbd69c7acc89c8d2f0cbc1.jpeg
Awesome, have fun with the new ride.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

I didn't see that coming, but Wes has apparently trying to move that bike. Such a sweet ride and the 2020 is quite awesome. Very interested in how the flex built in to the seat stays works. Welcome to Eagle by the way!

You're welcome to ride it any time you want, we're the same size I believe. Wes still has another large and another medium, if anyone is looking for a good bike, I don't think you can beat that deal, especially considering the component choices.

He has a 2020 in stock and I was the first person to demo that. Took it out on the GB and it was amazing. It had the same steep seat tube angle that the Ripley had, but felt totally different. If he had somehow sold out of his 2019's before I got the demo back, I would have given him a credit card instead of the giving the demo back. It was that nice. I had been sketchy on Orbea until I started doing some research. It was funny that I would have considered Ibis, Pivot, or Devinci but I was unsure of Orbea; as it turns out they are way bigger than the other 3...combined. So I have a pretty good feeling that they will be able to support a lifetime warranty on that frame. 

• Like 1