IGNORED

Anyone have any experience with Orbea?

AustinBike

Interested to know your experiences, good and bad, with the company.

My own (probably ignorant) perception is that Orbea is really a road company that happens to have mountain bikes but they do not seem to be their primary business. Whenever I see people on Orbea mountain bikes they tend to be racers, people that I think spend more time on pavement than dirt.

Anyone have any better input on the company?

I’m pretty sure they’ve had a lot of success in the enduro circuit and they always get solid reviews in the euro bike publications. They’ve been making mountain bikes for a while. They appeared in the first Olympic MTB race back in 1998. The Alma has been a lust worthy bike for maybe a decade now. Their Rallon has been around a while now too and is equally poster worthy.

A good time waste is going on their website and building up a bike with their “MyO” program. Custom colors and it doesn’t cost any extra except you can only choose the upper level builds.

Their Occam would be an fantastic bike for around here. It’s essentially a sexier looking Devinci Troy as it has the same suspension platform with the DW Split Pivot rear axle. Wes has them at Velorangutan.

All that being said I don’t have any personal experience with one. It is on my hit list for Outerbike though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're one of the oldest bike makers in the world but don't have the best market penetration in the MTB world. I personally would NOT think twice about buying a mtb from them if it was a good fit for me and was at the right price. Lifetime warranty on their bikes but we all know that the implementation of it is what's important and I don't know anyone that has done a warranty through them.

(edited, had said that I would think twice, meant that I would not think twice)

Edited by Anita Handle
omitted a word that completely changed my point!

They're one of the oldest bike makers in the world but don't have the best market penetration in the MTB world. I personally would think twice about buying a mtb from them if it was a good fit for me and was at the right price. Lifetime warranty on their bikes but we all know that the implementation of it is what's important and I don't know anyone that has done a warranty through them.

They’re definitely more to of a euro brand. As such, you bring up a good point in the warranty implementation.

I learned a little bit of trivia that Austin TX is tied to how Orbea started making 29ers. Our terrain and a local rider had a direct influence on them moving forward with the development early on. I’ll have to check on the details, but that’s the general story.

1 hour ago, Teamsloan said:

Their Occam would be an fantastic bike for around here.

I agree, it looked like a good setup for here but I didn't pursue it because I couldn't get enough hard information about it.

AB or Teamsloan, if you get to demo one, please post about it.

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Interested to know your experiences, good and bad, with the company.

My own (probably ignorant) perception is that Orbea is really a road company that happens to have mountain bikes but they do not seem to be their primary business. Whenever I see people on Orbea mountain bikes they tend to be racers, people that I think spend more time on pavement than dirt.

Anyone have any better input on the company?

you should get a 2017-2019 intense primer. any of the models before this new 2020 that just came out comes factory at 130/130mm and is an excellent all-rounder that I think you'd absolutely love. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, brentb said:

I agree, it looked like a good setup for here but I didn't pursue it because I couldn't get enough hard information about it.

AB or Teamsloan, if you get to demo one, please post about it.

I'll be in Bentonville for Outerbike. Currently there are 14 different confirmed manufacturers and there might even be more that I'm unaware of. I'm planning on demoing a few different bikes. The plan is to document as much as I can about the experience.

I think if I wasn't a dedicated hardtail guy, the Orbea Oiz (LT?) is what I'd be looking at for myself.  Orbea seems to be a racer-boi brand just because they've made inroads into our local (TX) racing scene now for the past 15 yrs.  Additionally, before Wes, their dealer presence wasn't as strong.  But like Teamsloan said, they have a pretty robust MTB pedigree worldwide and have performed well on the Enduro stage for a while.

Later, -CJB

7 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

They're one of the oldest bike makers in the world but don't have the best market penetration in the MTB world. I personally would NOT think twice about buying a mtb from them if it was a good fit for me and was at the right price. Lifetime warranty on their bikes but we all know that the implementation of it is what's important and I don't know anyone that has done a warranty through them.

(edited, had said that I would think twice, meant that I would not think twice)

Yeah, I wondered about that. I did some googling and they make ~$35M per quarter, 3-4x what many of the boutique guys are earning. Pretty confident they will be around for a while. 

11 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

Their Occam would be an fantastic bike for around here.

Would have probably pulled the trigger on one of these when Peddlers was closing them out a few years ago, but all they had left was a medium. Still have my 2010 Orbea Alma and it was a great entry-level, race-ready hardtail that was my primary bike for my first 3 years of riding. Build quality was top-notch, and much more than would be expected at the time on a $1700 bike. 

12 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

My buddy got an Orbea hardtail and it’s a nice frame but their budget build had some crappy components. He had to ditch the fork and crankset from the start and I think he ended up swapping out the brakes and dropper too. Just make sure the build matches your intended use.

This was my experience.  I got a 29 inch hard tail.  In just over a year, I've had to replace the stock rims (which were complete trash), derailleur, crankset, and most of the cables.   The actual bike feels good though and the geometry of the bike fit me well.