IGNORED

TRAILCRAFT CYCLES... Kid Specific MTB Builds...

RidingAgain

This is normal in a crowded market... Splitting the pie up by repositioning things in the consumer's mind... Or at least trying to. But I think it's going to be a very tough ask given that the buyers of kid's bikes tend to be adults, with adult brand preferences being passed along to their kids; and that many of these already established brands have kid-specific products.

Not sure how long TRAILCRAFT CYCLES has been around, but it's the first time I've come across an ad for their product.

It's a niche marketing effort that's needed for sure. Anyone familiar with the brand?

https://www.trailcraftcycles.com

Edited by RidingAgain

Thought I'd take a look at what's mtb kid-specific on YOUTUBE... Ages 8-11... Pretty incredible...

I remember playing golf and watching kids tee off to narrow fairways with heavy bush out-of-bounds to the left and right. They just walked up, stuck the tee in the ground, placed the ball on it, took their stance, and hit the ball. Adults... They would take their time, looking very tentatively to the left and right.

Edited by RidingAgain

This is normal in a crowded market... Splitting the pie up by repositioning things in the consumer's mind... Or at least trying to. But I think it's going to be a very tough ask given that the buyers of kid's bikes tend to be adults, with adult brand preferences being passed along to their kids; and that many of these already established brands have kid-specific products.

Not sure how long TRAILCRAFT CYCLES has been around, but it's the first time I've come across an ad for their product.

It's a niche marketing effort that's needed for sure. Anyone familiar with the brand?

https://www.trailcraftcycles.com
I have one for my kid. Actually selling it now . Over in the bikes for sale. It is a much higher step up than other 24s. His riding and enjoyment greatly improved on that bike.
Well made. Great service. Well speced.
Very light and the geometry is about perfect for kids.
Only reason we are selling as he has grown.
They have been around about 5 to 6 years out of Colorado.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We got my son a legit bike this year, the weight savings and better components have made a noticeable difference. It is still a single speed with one brake, but I'll likely add a new fork with a brake up there and keep him on it for a couple years. From there, a legit 24" with 1x9 and light components is a smart move for a kid you want to enjoy riding. 

I think anyone with kids needing 24" and smaller bikes needs to look at these kid specific brands.  What the big names are putting out weigh way too much and puts kids off.  My kid hated his hotrock when he was 7.  The thing weighed 30lbs!  Same as his brother's 26" hardrock.  My brother got his kids Woom bikes and I was shocked at how light they are and this means his kids love riding the bikes and don't struggle with them.

I think anyone with kids needing 24" and smaller bikes needs to look at these kid specific brands.  What the big names are putting out weigh way too much and puts kids off.  My kid hated his hotrock when he was 7.  The thing weighed 30lbs!  Same as his brother's 26" hardrock.  My brother got his kids Woom bikes and I was shocked at how light they are and this means his kids love riding the bikes and don't struggle with them.
This. The bikes for kids can be money but what a difference they make for a kid who wants to ride. All three are legit bikes and make a huge difference and when the ride quality is increased like that my son really amped up his riding. He has smoked me on a 24" at Pace Bend by 5 minutes I am ashamed and proud to say. He couldn't do that on his previous bikes.
Like I mentioned I am selling our Trailcraft if anyone wants to check it out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

22 inch BMX has been a thing for 10 years now (ramping up in the last 5 or so).  I still haven't seen any 22" wheel MTB's for kids.  I plan on building one for my boy, but he's only 2 now, so it'll be a while.

Bead seat diameter for 20" rims is 406mm.    It's 451 for bmx racing "mini" bikes (and for OS20).     And for 22", the BSD is 457mm. 

And, an interesting nugget:  In the 1970s, the GRACO MX had a 22" front wheel and 20" rear (inspired I guess by motocross, where front wheels are larger).  https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/graco/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/22inchbmx/

Built this for my son a couple years ago, he was 8 at the time. I figured he would have a much easier time with bigger wheels. Frame is a 13", cranks are Suntour XCT 152mm with the cheapest narrow/wide ring I could find, probably have $400 in it.

kona 001.jpg

Edited by JRA
  • Like 2

Here's the one that I built for my 10.5 yr old.  It was a long-waited hand me down from his older brother.  I put a 10spd drivetrain on it and also added the 152mm Suntour 1x cranks.  Got a sweet deal on a SID fork (dropped 1lb that way!).  I've got Stan's Crest wheels and Shimano disc brakes still awaiting install.  But it works pretty dang well as is.

This is a post-ride photo of us from South Boundary this August.

IMG-2043-2.png

• Like 5