IGNORED

Handlebars - interested in opinions

AustinBike

Bike came with 760 or 780mm bars, I am used to 720mm bars, mostly it is tree gates that get me, like the one at the end of sweet 16, that had little clearance yesterday. 

When I rode today I tried moving my grips in (see pic below) and everything seemed better.

The bars are also aluminum and I prefer carbon. If I buy carbon I want to get the right length, not cut it, but the stem is 35mm and the smallest carbon 35mm I can find is 780mm.

I do have a 70mm stem and a spare 720mm carbon bar, would not be opposed to buying something.

Would you cut the aluminum, buy a new stem and carbon bar (50mm/31.8mm stem and 720 or 740mm bar), or just keep rolling with 760s and try to get used to them (it has only been 2 rides)?

55397D39-B089-4681-8AC6-91D478B8E331.jpeg

The Trance Advanced I picked up in April came with 780mm aluminum bars (that's 31"). I cut them down to 760, and while that's better, the bar is still too wide. I'm planning on cutting them down about another 20 maybe 30mm. I think that'll be perfect.

So that's my answer, I'd just cut the aluminum. At the least, aluminum bars allow you to fine tune the width, so if you do get carbon bars later you'll know exactly what width.

I went from about 710-720 to 800 with new bike. Really did not like that at all. Since I wanted carbon and original was aluminum, I bought a new carbon and had it cut to 760. Enormously easier to ride than the 800 but still took a little bit to get used to.  Really like it at 760. I'd say give it at least half a dozen rides. It will take some learning to lean bike away from some trees, as well as not trying to go straight through. 

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Bike came with 760 or 780mm bars, I am used to 720mm bars, mostly it is tree gates that get me, like the one at the end of sweet 16, that had little clearance yesterday. 

When I rode today I tried moving my grips in (see pic below) and everything seemed better.

The bars are also aluminum and I prefer carbon. If I buy carbon I want to get the right length, not cut it, but the stem is 35mm and the smallest carbon 35mm I can find is 780mm.

I do have a 70mm stem and a spare 720mm carbon bar, would not be opposed to buying something.

Would you cut the aluminum, buy a new stem and carbon bar (50mm/31.8mm stem and 720 or 740mm bar), or just keep rolling with 760s and try to get used to them (it has only been 2 rides)?

55397D39-B089-4681-8AC6-91D478B8E331.jpeg

I had this problem when I bought a bike with 760 bars after about 20yrs of much narrower.I thought these are crazy wide. Ended up loving 760 after about 1/2 dozen rides. When I upgraded from the stock handle bars I ended up settling on 780 and have never looked back. Took a few rides to figure out the tree gates but now i don’t even notice!

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I've found that every time I go wider, I can't stand to go narrower. I think I am at 760 now but don't feel a need to go wider. I doubt that 10-20mm is going to make a difference in whether I clear a tree gate or not.

That is what I thought. The S16 tree gate is a right hand turn, between two trees, as you are stepping down 8-12" with rocks sticking up everywhere. When I went through yesterday, I measured and it looked like I had ~1" of clearance on the bars where I used to have ~2" or so. Shaving down some MMs will actually help I believe.

Based on everyone's input I am going to try to aluminum for a few more rides and see if I warm up to them. In not I'll do a little chopping.

9 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

Ride your bike more is always the answer.

Just ride it how it came set up, give it a bit of time/miles. 760 is kind of a sweet spot. For 35mm clamp, carbon post look for the Raceface Next which comes in a 760 width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot the word "flat", Orbea specs a flat bar for my model, that is why I could not find a smaller size. The Raceface is a 10mm rise but I may give that a try.

Edit - geez, I overthink most things. The "tech spec" calls for a flat bar on the TR model, but when you look at the sales guide, the bikes for sale are spec's with a Raceface Aeffect 760mm with 10mm rise. 

I'm going to ride the 760 for a few days and if I can get used to it I'll pull the trigger on a RF Next 760 carbon.

Edited by AustinBike

11 hours ago, brentb said:

The Trance Advanced I picked up in April came with 780mm aluminum bars (that's 31"). I cut them down to 760, and while that's better, the bar is still too wide. I'm planning on cutting them down about another 20 maybe 30mm. I think that'll be perfect.

So that's my answer, I'd just cut the aluminum. At the least, aluminum bars allow you to fine tune the width, so if you do get carbon bars later you'll know exactly what width.

Me too. Got my Trance with those 780mm bars. I rode with them a lot trying to get use to them, thinking that they must know something, there must be a reason for these wide bars. But I finally gave up and cut them down to 730mm. I have not regretted that decision for a second. Now I can ride the trails I know like I know them. The 2 inches does make a big difference with the tree gates I negotiate. 

I bought some 750mm carbon bars for my trail bike and cut them down to 740mm. Wish now though that I had never done that. Of course all of this depends on other factors like rider size, bike geo, stem length, type of riding, etc, but for me I think 750mm to 760mm is where I want to stay. Still have 780mm on the bike I bought for Spider Mtn, but if I was riding it a lot on regular trails around here, I would cut it to 760mm. 

Edited by throet

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

Me too. Got my Trance with those 780mm bars. I rode with them a lot trying to get use to them, thinking that they must know something, there must be a reason for these wide bars.

I think the reason is simply that you can make them shorter but you can't make them longer. Just like a fork steerer, everyone will want a different length so they just make it long.

I've got some 780s on the new bike, but I'll probably cut down to 750.  I've tried shorter and longer handlebars but that seems to be the sweet spot for me.  I can see longer bars if you do quite a bit more downhill than up on groomed trails because it does give more control, but may not be practical for everyday riding around here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

This was an interesting read on handlebar width if you haven't seen it..

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/finding-your-sweet-spot-handlebar-width.html

OK, I ran my numbers through this guy's equation and:

height (5'-9" = 1752mm) * 0.44 = 771mm bar width.

But it also says that the useful range is that width down to 95% of that width, so 771 - 732.

That aligns with my gut feeling that I mentioned in my previous post -- bars are currently 760 and I thought cutting them down another 20-30 would be ideal. Yay for confirmation bias!

His sizing doesn't take into account shoulder width, which I think would be a large contributing factor for ideal bar width. That drives arm angles, as well as wrist angles at the bars.

• Like 4

I went to slightly wider bars recently using that calculation and subtracting the 5%, and have found the wider stance alleviated some shoulder pain and has improved control, particularly on downhill runs the tendency to be twitchy is reduced. There seems to be finer control in turns as well. (I've got SQ Labs 30X 12 deg. Aluminum, also available in Carbon, and 16 deg. sweep)

Sweep is another thing I like more of for the way it allows a more natural interface. Less bend at the wrists makes all the tendons going through that tight spot work better with less strain. Having struggled with numbness in my hands and arms anything I can change that improves the way forces play into the anatomical side of things is a benefit. I was riding with Mary bars for years and was generally happy with them, except I had noticed some shoulder aches. The replacement bars still have adequate sweep and provide a slightly wider spacing. Though I will need to be cautious on gates until I get the width and any technique adjustments dialed in.

The article mentions there being a focus on elbow position. To me this correlates, as shoulder width is generally proportional to height and any change that improves leverage and control via attention to elbow position will be based on the width of the shoulders.

Edited by Ridenfool

What I know about wider bars is they allow more leverage thus giving more control. My only issue with wider bars is the sweep usually being not enough. Shallower sweep angle is fine in the attack position when your elbows are bent and your wrists make a straight line to the bars. Unfortunately the shallower sweep angles aren't ideal for everyday riding causing finger numbness due to severe wrist angle. I had 3t bars on my last bike that had a 12* sweep which I liked a lot.