IGNORED

What wheels you running?

Bart

I love my Scott Spark but when it comes to climbing these hoops are pigs. It came with pretty wide Synchros which are really low end DT's hubs, and at 1970gr a w/set, they gotta go. Looking for something wide, good engagement and not $2000. I don't really race anymore but might do an occasional endurance event. Mostly CenTex trails.

7 minutes ago, rockshins said:

DT Swiss E1700's with 350 hubs.  Not the fanciest but get the job done and not too heavy.  If I was building a wheel I would go with ATXJ's suggestion and get XM481's and 350 hubs are bombproof!

I have XM481's with Hope pro4 hubs on my hardtail. They were on a set of 350 hubs previously. These rims have been on 3 different bikes and are still going strong. Will be building a set of RR481's on 350 hubs for my gravel bike probably this week sometime. Hubs and hoops get here tomorrow. Just need to get spokes.

And yes XM481's with 350 hubs are bombproof. Mine are 28 hole and I weigh 235 geared riding Brushy Creek as my main trail. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rockshins said:

DT Swiss E1700's with 350 hubs.  Not the fanciest but get the job done and not too heavy.  If I was building a wheel I would go with ATXJ's suggestion and get XM481's and 350 hubs are bombproof!

Those are probably XR391 hoops. Still a good Wheelset.

I bought a set of Spank Oozy Trail 395+ wheels (35mm inside width) purchased to convert from 29 to 27.5+, giving a wider footprint with about the same outside diameter. I've run sets of 3.0 and 2.8 tires on these and overall have been very pleased with the change.

The rims are holding up well, I like their Bead Bite system. The rear hub is noisier than I prefer and engagement isn't bad, but there are better out there. It seems to be durable.

With a great price for the wheelset ($489) I could have any of a number of higher end hubs with more engagement points laced in and still be very happy with the value.

Check out their various wheel choices and you might be tempted to Spank your Spark.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

You said not $2k but not sure what your limit is.  I bought my bike used from a well-known local endurance racer and it came with Nox Composite wheels and DT240s (I don't think I would have otherwise sprung for carbon wheels then).   I love the design of my Chris King hubs better, but these 240s seem to be bulletproof and from what I understand, so are the 350 hubs.

You can get a built custom (decal color, nipple color, spokes) carbon wheelset with DT350 hubs from noxcomposites.com for <$1400.  You can also send them your current hubs and they'll build a wheelset with them.  The wheels are hand-built in Tennessee.  So far my wheels are lasting me through evertyhing I've put them through not to mention what the previous owner put them through, but when I need new wheels, I'm going to go back to Nox for sure.

• Like 1

I built a KOM i25 front on a Giant branded hub. Should have gone wider, but it works.

Rear build is a Frequentcy Team i25 on a Hadley hub. The hub is kinda heavy but strong. Might have chosen a Hope hub if I had to build it again. I'll probably keep this hub for years and years and build it with a wider rim at some point.

I don't buy wheels because I enjoy chosing the parts and lacing them up myself. It's not as hard as some people make it out to be, but you have to take your time and do it right.

I'll throw in a shout out for a local wheel builder/company - Solid wheels from what I've seen and I'll probably get my next set from them.

https://www.dirtcomponents.com/29-36-1mm-rc-1

Other options:

Roval makes both a ligher (1700ish g) and a heavier (1800g) version of carbon wheels.  They just announced a 2 year replacement warranty, so even if you crash and break, they'll provide a rim replacement.  Both have DT Swiss hubs.

https://rovalcomponents.com/collections/trail/products/traverse-carbon

https://rovalcomponents.com/collections/trail/products/2019-traverse-sl

Bontrager makes some decent carbon wheels too with same warranty (I think):

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-wheels/c/E209/

Edited by fontarin
  • Like 1

Crests are generally considered super-light XC race wheels for lightweight riders. I'm 160 pounds and I dented the hell of a rear Crest is short order riding in Georgia, which is much less rocky. YMMV and all that, but most people riding CenTex terrain would be wise to avoid them in favor of something wider, stiffer, and stronger. 

22 minutes ago, Bamwa said:

Stans Crest $500. Since Oct 2011. Super lightweight. No problems. Can't see spending the loot y'all are talking bout, but it's your hobby go nuts.

Because since 2011 I've bent, dented and otherwise destroyed at least 6 rims, and about 15 or so rear hubs--including a shit-ton of Stan's rims and hubs. But since February I've put 3.7K miles on my Santa Cruz Reserve37/I9 combo and it hasn't so much as come out of true. And when I do manage to kill the rim, they'll replace it. So far I'm at about 48 cents per mile. 

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/reserve-wheels-info

Lifetime Warranty
Lifetime. No gimmicks. Not limited. If you do actually manage to break our rim while out riding, we'll replace it for free. And probably high five you in the process! If it gets run over by a truck we'll help you out with a low cost accidental 'crash replacement', because life's too short to argue. We know riding time's too precious to keep you waiting, so we'll do our best to sort you out fast.

I suppose they'll send me that high five in mail. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Crests are generally considered super-light XC race wheels for lightweight riders. I'm 160 pounds and I dented the hell of a rear Crest is short order riding in Georgia, which is much less rocky. YMMV and all that, but most people riding CenTex terrain would be wise to avoid them in favor of something wider, stiffer, and stronger. 

Yeah, I had some Crests a few years ago that were pretty flimsy on rocks, but I know they've recently made some improvements (or so I've heard) so I wasn't going to judge the new version.  They are XC wheels though, and for general riding I'd go with something a little burlier/wider.

I had 355's, they were so noodly with my powertap hub and I could not keep them true, so-so with my Chris King hubs but I dented one.  Then got a flow to replace that one.  Cracked that one within months.  I'm generally not hard on bike equipment so I was surprised--especially with cracking the Flow (one of the earlier flows).  I've laced my own, bought the spokes I like (wheelsmith, also made in the USA), with the nipples I like and using whatever hub I have on hand.

Edited by AntonioGG
*could not keep them true

2 hours ago, Barry said:

Because since 2011 I've bent, dented and otherwise destroyed at least 6 rims, and about 15 or so rear hubs--including a shit-ton of Stan's rims and hubs. But since February I've put 3.7K miles on my Santa Cruz Reserve37/I9 combo and it hasn't so much as come out of true. And when I do manage to kill the rim, they'll replace it. So far I'm at about 48 cents per mile. 

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/reserve-wheels-info

I suppose they'll send me that high five in mail. 

I was reading a bunch of posts on SC owners' Farcebook page about reserves recently.  There's always a bunch of knuckle draggers that break everything and piss and moan about speed of warranty claims, but the general consensus was they stand up to the warranty without question on the reserves, and most were riding within a week.  This was even on overseas posts.  Pretty impressive.  Just can't justify the expense on the wheels yet.  I eventually break frames not wheels. 😞 I found on frames it's the shop not SC that makes the difference. BSS did great on mine.

Edited by Chongo Loco
  • Like 3