IGNORED

Santa Fe - 11 hr drive from Austin

throet

Cool. 

Looks like Dale Ball TH is ~5 miles from the hotel, so I could do a ~20 mile day with half on trails and half on pavement. I will do the North.

La Tierra was on my list, definitely not a tabletop person and with no suspension that would be even more of a challenge, but it is worth the ride out there to see what is going on (4 miles from hotel).

Galisteo might be harder to pull off because that is 14 miles from the hotel and we are on a family vacation so I should be spending more time being attentive and carting around a dog than off on my own.

Wife is going to shuttle me to the top of Winsor on one day, I may do a second day there and see how it is with a ride up from the hotel and back. I'll gauge that escapade after the shuttle run is complete.

35 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Cool. 

Looks like Dale Ball TH is ~5 miles from the hotel, so I could do a ~20 mile day with half on trails and half on pavement. I will do the North.

La Tierra was on my list, definitely not a tabletop person and with no suspension that would be even more of a challenge, but it is worth the ride out there to see what is going on (4 miles from hotel).

Galisteo might be harder to pull off because that is 14 miles from the hotel and we are on a family vacation so I should be spending more time being attentive and carting around a dog than off on my own.

Wife is going to shuttle me to the top of Winsor on one day, I may do a second day there and see how it is with a ride up from the hotel and back. I'll gauge that escapade after the shuttle run is complete.

Are you going to shuttle Windsor on a rigid SS? 

Just now, AustinBike said:

Putting gears on my SS so it will be rigid geared bike. I'd prefer to leave it SS, but not knowing the true lay of the land I am probably better off with gears.

There's not much pedaling at Windsor. The lack of suspension is really the problem (assuming you have good brakes). Not that it's not possible, but it would be much more enjoyable on a trail bike. Why not figure out how to pull the pup trailer with your full suspension bike?

The real question, however, is tires.

Right now the bike has Schwalbe Big Ben commuting tires on it:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/big_ben

IMG_0467.thumb.jpeg.6ce40e99c769fb985d9c668c7e1598b5.jpeg

In a perfect world I would keep these on because they are really durable from crap on the streets and even thorns (maybe get a new set as I am wearing them down.) Much of the riding is going to be on the streets.

I could swap out to the VEE Tire Rail 2.25" : https://veetireco.com/product/mountain-bike-rail/ which would give me more grip, less flat protection but still good rolling for the 50% of my ride that is streets.

IMG_0465.thumb.jpeg.1a130642fed277a08626a667811ea99d.jpeg

Or I could jump all the way up to an Ardent (2.4") which would give me the biggest lugs and the best best mountain biking but the shittiest ride for the streets.

The $64,000 question is whether the jump all the way to Ardents is best because of the mountain biking advantages or whether the 2.25" Rail can do "enough" that I won't hate myself for deciding on this tire for the whole trip. With 50/50 street and trail (and maybe even more street) I am trying to find the best compromise. If the trail stuff is really undoable on the Rails then it might be worth going all in, but if I could squeeze by with the less aggressive tire pattern, that would be cool.

Thoughts?

We have a dog trailer and a dog carrier (backpack) so we are set there. The biggest reason to take the urban bike is that it will probably be locked up outside (we have a bike cover.) not gonna lock up the squishy for a month outside and expect it to be there by the end of the trip.

we are pretty much set on the bike configs, all I need at this point is the right tire recommendation. 

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

We have a dog trailer and a dog carrier (backpack) so we are set there. The biggest reason to take the urban bike is that it will probably be locked up outside (we have a bike cover.) not gonna lock up the squishy for a month outside and expect it to be there by the end of the trip.

we are pretty much set on the bike configs, all I need at this point is the right tire recommendation. 

My bike usually shares the guest room. Have a good time. 

I bought one of these last month.  We haven’t  completed the training but the goal is to be able to go on hikes and neighborhood bike rides with our little rat.
https://www.k9sportsack.com/

3bca26eb95a3367865509c90c2795d9c.jpg
Cracked up when I saw this lady in Seattle. Didn’t know they made specific packs for it. Corgi was chill checking out the sites. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

There are at least 3 bike shops in Santa Fe that do rentals, including mountain bikes.  If Windsor is the outlier in terms of roots/rocks that would be more comfy w/ suspension,  maybe rent a full sus for your Windsor day and not have to cover so many bases with the bike set up. 

Alternately, check to see if there's company that does bike rental + shuttle.

Edited by June Bug

• 1 month later...

Finally got my reviews finished for the Santa Fe trails that I rode:

Winsor (up and down):  https://www.austinbike.com/index.php/united-states/384-winsor

Dale Ball Trails (only did a small portion, will be back): https://www.austinbike.com/index.php/united-states/54-daleball

Santa Fe Rail Trail (paved and gravel): https://www.austinbike.com/index.php/united-states/385-railtrail

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, Chongo Loco said:

Cracked up when I saw this lady in Seattle. Didn’t know they made specific packs for it. Corgi was chill checking out the sites. 

I do a social ride on the Southern Walnut Creek Multi-Use Path on Tuesday mornings.   Last fall we were on the section just before the path crosses Jain Lane and I realized a Corgi was peeking over the shoulder of a cyclist heading towards us. She had to have some kind of dog specific pack for it.  Their legs are short but there's a fair amount of heft involved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, June Bug said:

I do a social ride on the Southern Walnut Creek Multi-Use Path on Tuesday mornings.   Last fall we were on the section just before the path crosses Jain Lane and I realized a Corgi was peeking over the shoulder of a cyclist heading towards us. She had to have some kind of dog specific pack for it.  Their legs are short but there's a fair amount of heft involved.

K9 sport sack.  https://www.k9sportsack.com

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, this morning didn't suck. It was a bit chilly (67F) when I started, but it warmed up quickly. 20 miles, 1790ft of climbing. And a flat ~1/4 mile away from the hotel on the way back.

IMG_3777.thumb.jpeg.e4e4a296ed30e397ddb8e83fe62a12aa.jpeg

IMG_3780.thumb.jpeg.0cc33dfc7cddf1a67ffd589f1f7004b7.jpeg

What did you ride? We hit Galisteo yesterday, then Hidden Mountain Brewing for dinner. La Tierra this morning then Santa Fe Brewing HQ for lunch, heading to Angel Fire tomorrow, trying to decide what to hit in the morning. AF looks kinda rainy the next 2 days. Decent chances here in SF too.

20220815_093622.jpg

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GFisher said:

What did you ride? We hit Galisteo yesterday, then Hidden Mountain Brewing for dinner. La Tierra this morning then Santa Fe Brewing HQ for lunch, heading to Angel Fire tomorrow, trying to decide what to hit in the morning. AF looks kinda rainy the next 2 days. Decent chances here in SF too.

20220815_093622.jpg

Rode some local gravel, did La Tierra yesterday. Probably gonna hit Galisteo and Winsor (up and down.)

F070D3A9-53B1-4AAE-AC66-74F720856218.thumb.jpeg.6917897d5e7bcc48ae83dbd23c74bbbe.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine a trial that wipes you out after just one segment. This was a great ride, met up with some Austin guys and rode it for a couple hours today. My cranks broke on the way down. Might head back because so far I only covered ~5 miles (10 miles out and back) of the 45 total miles.

image.thumb.jpeg.1c593244ff4ad33f752b507d1e3fdce8.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Imagine a trial that wipes you out after just one segment. This was a great ride, met up with some Austin guys and rode it for a couple hours today. My cranks broke on the way down. Might head back because so far I only covered ~5 miles (10 miles out and back) of the 45 total miles.

image.thumb.jpeg.1c593244ff4ad33f752b507d1e3fdce8.jpeg

Hit that last year. A grind of a climb up Cairn Me Up, but doing Jagged Axe was worth it.

image.thumb.png.457ceeb611215df1ed4e49be76d8a260.png

• Like 2