IGNORED

Hammerhead Karoo

TheX

I like that it has a lanyard. Hopefully it is long enough to attach the leash to the handlebar and still be able to rotate onto the mount.

This way if it does bail while riding it can smack the rider in the knee so they know to put it back. Better than playing "find the GPS" on the trail behind you.

Looks like a well thought out gizmo.

Review here: Hammerhead Karoo

Nice big screen. 

It's based on an Android OS.  As the owner of a perfectly functional smart phone that lost it's ability to be updated to the latest Android OS after three years and is now unusable, I have to wonder if this thing will become obsolete and not updatable in the (relatively) near future.  Is that how Android works?  Is that how all of this works?

You should be able to keep using the phone. Just because Android offers a version that isn't applied to older phones is no reason the phone would not work. It is more about how each manufacturer has to take the latest version of the OS and tailor it for each model. At some point they draw the line and won't invest the engineering team into an older product. But, if it is working it should continue to, at least until some outside factor obsoletes it.

8 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Like a security vulnerability that gets exposed once a week?

In my experience these devices can be used as a (gasp) phone and a GPS until it can no longer communicate with the towers with very little exposure to any risk. SMS, Email, and browsing social media are a tad riskier, but this is just as true on any platform (tablet, PC, etc.). Performing financial transactions on a phone without understanding the heightened risks is another kettle of fish entirely. Fortunately, the banks and credit card companies will generally eat those losses and smile while doing so as long as they can keep the juggling act moving along at a steady pace.

I've yet to meet anyone who has lost data or money due to an Android security vulnerability on a legacy OS where the user was running an up to date Anti-Malware app. The potential for problems like this can be avoided simply by never using a phone to perform financial transactions.

Granted, people are easily drawn into the convenience of doing everything on their phone, and neither Apple, Android, nor Microsoft will ever be able to offer 100% protection because there are always going to be new and improved users coming online to thwart such efforts. :classic_rolleyes:

I ended up getting an Apple iPhone SE, because it was quite a bit smaller and therefore handier to tote around. I text occasionally, make a few phone calls and use photos, camera, timer and alarm.  That's pretty much it. It has pathetic battery life and as I like to say, it's a great phone if you don't actually use it.  

I do have a Garmin, which I never use.  The Karoo looks great because it seems to have wonderful displays on a large-ish screen.  TheX, please give us a product review in the future. 

I contacted support to let them know that I will be using their 45 day return policy and buying a new one to get the new price. Or they can give me the difference. We'll see how they respond. I love this thing, and the 100 bucks really isn't a big deal. 

29 minutes ago, TheX said:

The $299 price was a mistake, good on you for getting one! They have updated the price to what it was.

When I saw the price the other day, I almost jumped on it. If the live reporting of purchases on their website is to be believed, there were at least 20 people who bought it for $299 while I was browsing their site.

If anything, they suddenly learned what the market thinks a fair price for the Karoo is!

• 1 month later...