IGNORED

Gravel rigs

Chief

On 10/5/2019 at 7:20 PM, TheX said:

So, I can get the levers, rear derailleur, cassette, bars (24 degree flare) and two hose kits for $691.00 from Jenson.  This is all GRX 600 and 800 series stuff.

Let's do this!

What bars did you go with? I'm pretty confused when it comes to curvy bars and what to target in terms of width, drop, and flare and how stem length would come into play. I'm wanting to try a flared bar on my CX bike, but it's much harder to *try* a different style bar when you have to re-wrap it vs. a MTB where everything just bolts on and is easily adjusted.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 8:04 PM, TheX said:

LOL, the road levers use a different thread size on the master than the mountain levers. Had to order an adapter  for the cup so that I can bleed the new brakes. Just about done with this though.

Wow!  That's good to know.  I've not had to bleed my road bike's levers but now I'll be expecting to need a new adaptor.

This is my MonsterTour. To the extent that I ride non-trails, this is the bike that get the duty these days, gravel or road. I also enjoy this bike on trails, like Walnut, 1/4 Notch, and Double Down...but my wrists hate me for it, so it does not happen often. This bike also has set of 26x4.8 wheels/tires (it is a fat bike frame, after all), but I haven't had them on since I put these 29er Ikons on it. 

mt.thumb.jpg.f2becd9830293201b6a7ec4d34914287.jpg                                0.thumb.jpg.94de075efea2b082c71e3bc771bae57e.jpg

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question for your drop bar bikes: how does the seated reach to the hoods on your bike compare to the seated reach (saddle to hands) to the grips on your flat bar mountain bike?

I never seem to feel satisfied with the fit on my CX bike. I took some measurements on my two bikes and the reach to the hoods on the drop bar is several inches longer. I could get the reach closer within reason, but I am not sure if it's wise to use a short, short stem on this CX bike without compromising handling.

Edited by mack_turtle

On my MTB, the reach to the center of the grips is 445mm from the saddle tip.  I'm not sure if I should measure to the forward most part of the grip to make it equivalent to the hoods, but at least it gives you a comparison point.

On my gravel bike and my road bike, it's about 590mm tip to hoods.  They both feel about 20-30mm too long (based on my simulating shorter distance to hoods while riding).

My old road bike in which I rode many thousands of miles is at 546mm.

The problem with drop bar bikes is with the stem you may end up putting the drops too close.  So on my gravel bike and my old road bike I had to switch bars to some that have very little forward bend and very shallow drops.  The new bike has this kind of bars so I think I'll be able to go shorter stem.

Edited by AntonioGG
rode road
  • Thanks 1

Question for your drop bar bikes: how does the seated reach to the hoods on your bike compare to the seated reach (saddle to hands) to the grips on your flat bar mountain bike?

I never seem to feel satisfied with the fit on my CX bike. I took some measurements on my two bikes and the reach to the hoods on the drop bar is several inches longer. I could get the reach closer within reason, but I am not sure if it's wise to use a short, short stem on this CX bike without compromising handling.

My drops are 2-3 inches longer than my MTB. (I didn’t know where on the hood to measure to.) I have a 60mm stem and wider bars than came on it. I immediately liked it better when I made that swap. I have often wondered if i would be happier on the next size down.

I am considering putting a riser bar on my CX bike because that seems to be the only way to get the reach/drop that feels comfortable. I can borrow the brakes from my mtb to experiment. The bike doesn't have a derailer, so shifter compatibility is a non-issue. If it works, I can replace the brakes with something specific for this bike, but I am skeptical.

6 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I am considering putting a riser bar on my CX bike because that seems to be the only way to get the reach/drop that feels comfortable. I can borrow the brakes from my mtb to experiment. The bike doesn't have a derailer, so shifter compatibility is a non-issue. If it works, I can replace the brakes with something specific for this bike, but I am skeptical.

That's what I have on my road bike.  It also has short reach and shallow drops.  That is what seems to work for me.  https://www.specialized.com/us/en/hover-expert-alloy-handlebars--15mm-rise/p/156001?color=230548-156001&searchText=21017-2036