IGNORED

Gravel rigs

Chief

On 11/3/2020 at 11:13 AM, TheX said:

Hands on the hoods just sucks (for me) riding bumpy/rocky stuff

I 100% agree that the hoods is a terrible place for your hands on anything technical. Shimano did some research and concluded that most folks were riding trail on the hoods (for some reason) and designed GRX to work better from the hoods. But even with that, I basically ride totally in the drops on trail. Hell, even fast smooth singletrack (Inner Log and .6, for example) get ridden in the drops. On gravel and roads I'd say I'm 90% on the hoods. 

image.thumb.png.da4ef5a0bd4571240c3ff9320e3f9000.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Barry said:

I 100% agree that the hoods is a terrible place for your hands on anything technical. Shimano did some research and concluded that most folks were riding trail on the hoods (for some reason) and designed GRX to work better from the hoods. But even with that, I basically ride totally in the drops on trail. Hell, even fast smooth singletrack (Inner Log and .6, for example) get ridden in the drops. On gravel and roads I'd say I'm 90% on the hoods. 

I have GRX, and they are definitely better. After my Ducati crash injuries it's pretty much impossible for me to stay in the drops for long. 3.5 years of aggressive PT and weight training has me on the trails a lot, but drops are a no-go for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barry said:

I don't think I'd ride trail at all if I wasn't comfortable in the drops. 

I was able to finish the Banduro, just can't get in certain positions. Not riding trails at all because of it doesn't seem like a good solution.

2 hours ago, Chief said:

I've got an Iwata Supernova and an Evotech along with two Devilbiss Tekna coppers that I currently use. Plus a bunch of older guns that are basically outdated for todays urethanes. The Supernova is an awesome clear gun.

I probably still have a 40+ year old Binks Model 18 that I shot a LOT of Ditzler through. Many Corvettes, Camaros, etc.

• Like 1

Y'all are serious painters!  I dabbled in my RC car days with a Paasche XL.  It was a lot of fun.  I subscribed to a few airbrushing magazines back in the day.  I still have a few unpainted bodies I want to mess around with.  To this day when I watch older shows/movies I am always drawn to those backgrounds of cities or forests done by illustrators.

Professional automotive painter for 40 years. Learned on a siphon feed Binks #7 spraying lacquer. The new guns make being an “applicator” almost too easy. There’s a big difference between an applicator and a real painter. Real painters know how avoid and correct a f#ck up. Not knocking any hobby painters. I’ve done a couple of bass guitar full rebuilds with my son. Don’t know how to play but do know how to set one up. 

• Like 2

I'm definitely a hobbiest. I have a LOT of practice though. Painted my own cars in the late '70s, early '80s. Learned from some amazing painters. I don't have any desire to do another body off restoration...EVER! I lost money on every corvette I ever loved.

• Like 1