IGNORED

This Thursday 10/3- Thumper EB Pre-Ride

CBaron

Here we go:

This Thursday I will be leading a Thumper EB Pre-Ride. We will meet at 5:30pm and roll out shortly afterwards. Its a short 10 min spin over to the trail head. You might bring a light just in case. Considering weekday traffic on Old Spicewood, we will probably only do the Thumper trail.

5:30pm- Meet at BB Rovers -12636 Research Blvd B101, Austin, TX 78759

Reply back with any questions or comments.

If you hate Thumper and plan to do the EB, and you don't show up for the pre-rides, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.  🙂

Cheers,

CJB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

no-drop?

Interesting question.  🙂

The intent of this ride is to expose as many people to the Thumper trail as possible.  Thus we encourage people to come join us.  We have ZERO intent of having this be a drop-ride.  BUT, after leading possibly 100+ Thumper group rides, I've found, that at times, it can be a challenge to keep everyone together.  Our standard protocol is to give some general guidelines at the Thumper TH and I also exchange cell numbers with everyone before heading out.  We usually stop along the way to discuss trail route, nuances and features if the group desires.  This usually allows for regrouping (oh and we may do some basic trail maintenance along the way).  I've rarely had more than 6-8 people show up for these rides (wish we had more), so upon exiting the trail we usually do a rider-count before moving on.  (I also bet we average about 2 riders bailing before the end)

My standard pitch for showing up to this ride/trail:  Part of the challenge of the Thumper trail is one's lack of familiarity with it.  I often state that if you'll ride Thumper 3x's in 2 weeks that you would improve exponentially out there.  Understanding where you need to 'punch it' and were you need to 'ease up' is ESSENTIAL for this trail.  And that simply takes some saddle time.  I've never really considered Thumper overly technical.  Its just a but-kicker of an effort.  IMHO if one's tech skills can handle CP, then you can also handle Thumper.

I could very well see myself making another pre-ride call next week (Thurs?) and probably another one on a Sunday afternoon-to-come-soon too.

Later,  -CJB

Edited by CBaron

I was mainly asking for new people.  I'm not sure I can make it this time around.  

I know what you mean about the exponential reduction.  I think the first time I rode it was with you at night (I was nuts!), I bailed, rode the 2nd half backwards and I spent way too long in there in the dark alone.  The next time I rode the whole thing, I think it took me something like 2 hours (for a 5 mile trail).  The time after that, 1:45, then 1:30.  Ride Thumper 2-3x per week and not only will you learn it and get faster in it, you'll get in shape fast!

I think that first section with the off-camber turns and sometimes-slick rock are tougher than City Park.

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I was mainly asking for new people.  I'm not sure I can make it this time around.  

I kinda figured as much.  You're nearing OG status with how long you've been around that trail.

1 hour ago, TheX said:

The routes shown for Thumper and St Eds are the routes that the EB will take through those trails.  However, that Strava file will not be the route we do this Thursday.  First-off, we will be starting from a different location (BB Rovers) and we will not be doing St Eds on Thursday either.

Later, -CJB

What always gets people with Thumper is where the trail crosses itself. When I’m in there I have to tell myself that despite how close I think I am to the end, I still have a long way to go. It’s not until I hit those switchbacks climbing back up that I can finally crack a smile.

It’s like rhyme of the ancient mountain bike down there...” houses, houses everywhere, but no exit in sight”. The only way out of Thumper is to finish it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this ride.

I'm planning to go.   About how many miles of trail are we riding?  I've riden this trail a few times but have not been able to navigate though it very well.  Looking forward to riding with folks who are familiar with this trail.  

I'll bring my portable fiskars with me as well. 

21 hours ago, JRIDER said:

Thanks for posting this ride.

I'm planning to go.   About how many miles of trail are we riding?  I've riden this trail a few times but have not been able to navigate though it very well.  Looking forward to riding with folks who are familiar with this trail.  

I'll bring my portable fiskars with me as well. 

Off top of my head, I bet the EB route of Thumper is only about 4-4.5 miles.  

I too may try to ride there from home (unsure if I'll do some bonus miles at WC with Barry afterwards or not...)

Later, -CJB

We had 3 people cancel last-minute, thus we rolled out with 5 from BB Rovers. We had 1 bailout early, then picked another up mid-trail. It was a fairly even group and we rode a more steady pace, while still accomplishing some minor trail work along the way. Thumper is in pretty good condition. The canopy is tight in a few places, and the trail tread is looser than normal. But I think that's due to the recent ongoing dryness and the lack of wheels on it.  Look for another ride call(s) to come again in a week or two.

@JRIDER  You make it back to the car ok?  We waited a bit and then considered that you may have taken an earlier departure due to the sprinkling

Thanks, CJB

Cody and Barry passed in front of my office on Jollyville as I was heading home.  So wished I had my bike to try and keep up, but know I would be dropped like a rock! All about goals and stepped progression.  Looks like ya'll had a good ride with a decent group.

I fell behind and opted to bail out when I noticed I was near the trailhead.  It was starting to get dark and I wasn't super excited about riding that trail in the dark.  It started raining soon after I got off the trail.  

I could see you guys when I stopped and was yelling out to you to try and let you know.   Hopefully you weren't waiting long.

Also realized that my fiskars did not make it out of the trail.  Hopefully they are put to good trail maintenance use by the new owners.

35 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

I fell behind and opted to bail out when I noticed I was near the trailhead.  It was starting to get dark and I wasn't super excited about riding that trail in the dark.  It started raining soon after I got off the trail.  

I could see you guys when I stopped and was yelling out to you to try and let you know.   Hopefully you weren't waiting long.

Also realized that my fiskars did not make it out of the trail.  Hopefully they are put to good trail maintenance use by the new owners.

Once the rain started getting a bit heavier, we decided to move on.  Glad it all worked out.  

Do you have an idea as to where your fiskars ended up?  There's a small chance I may be back out this weekend doing trail maintenance.  Additionally, the trail is so lightly traveled that they could very well sit there for a few weeks (and lastly, I know my way around there well enough that I could prolly easily short-cut directly to them if needed).

Later,
CJB

39 minutes ago, DBehrens said:

Cody and Barry passed in front of my office on Jollyville as I was heading home.  

That made me sad!

I'll try to make the next one and you and I can bring up the rear.  I'll probably ride Thumper before then to get that first-ride-in-a-long-time extra 30 minutes out of the way.

Did anyone stay for burgers/drinks at BB Rovers after?  I miss all that.

5 hours ago, CBaron said:

Once the rain started getting a bit heavier, we decided to move on.  Glad it all worked out.  

Do you have an idea as to where your fiskars ended up?  There's a small chance I may be back out this weekend doing trail maintenance.  Additionally, the trail is so lightly traveled that they could very well sit there for a few weeks (and lastly, I know my way around there well enough that I could prolly easily short-cut directly to them if needed).

Later,
CJB

Fiskars were probably dropped somewhere between mile 2 - 3 of the trail when my camelback hit some low hanging trees.   Feel free to use them them if you find them!

I'm tempted to go out there sometime over the next week and give that trail another shot.  

14 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Rode the first loop yesterday.  It's super overgrown.  I trimmed a lot back by hand (mostly the ones that obscured or caused you to duck before tricky sections) but with no gloves it was tough.  I'm thinking of going for a run later today with pruners in hand.

That is true, my biggest complaint was that it was overgrown a good bit.  That was what my tight canopy comment was, but that may have been a bit cryptic.  I'm thinking about heading out there this weekend with a few teenagers and some trimmers.  (A weedeater would be best! but mine is electric)

Looks like I may be posting up a ride-call for this coming Sunday (early or late afternoon).

Thanks, CJB