IGNORED

cross training MMA is good for bike cardio

crazyt

Mornings have finally cooled off. I went for my first ride in 2 months and it was actually pretty good. I was a little worried about my cardio, but I have been doing MMA for the last two months (boxing, kickboxing, brazilian jiu jitsu) and the cardio carries over.

I also lost about 15 pounds which is pretty amazing as Ive been trying to lose the same 5 pounds for around 10 years. If you need something to complement mtb, I highly recommend it.

1) air conditioned

2) can do it at night

3) good workout in only an hour, builds core, flexibility, and cardio

4) will be able to submit off leash dogs and mountain lions

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, crazyt said:

Mornings have finally cooled off. I went for my first ride in 2 months and it was actually pretty good. I was a little worried about my cardio, but I have been doing MMA for the last two months (boxing, kickboxing, brazilian jiu jitsu) and the cardio carries over.

I also lost about 15 pounds which is pretty amazing as Ive been trying to lose the same 5 pounds for around 10 years. If you need something to complement mtb, I highly recommend it.

1) air conditioned

2) can do it at night

3) good workout in only an hour, builds core, flexibility, and cardio

4) will be able to submit off leash dogs and mountain lions

Cons:

1) Possibility of getting punched repeatedly in the face.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, notyal said:

Cons:

1) Possibility of getting punched repeatedly in the face.

I would rephrase that:

Pro:

1) Possibility of getting punched repeatedly in the face in the ring where they will stop when you tap out so if the situation ever occurs outside the ring, your odds of being the one doing the punching are improved.

On this topic, two of my kids (14 and 16) are interested in doing MMA as an activity.  They do gymnastics and rock climbing respectively so they're plenty fit but they need a gym that won't throw them into a ring with Bartman or something.  Anyone have any thoughts?

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 12:03 PM, Tree Magnet said:

I would rephrase that:

Pro:

1) Possibility of getting punched repeatedly in the face in the ring where they will stop when you tap out so if the situation ever occurs outside the ring, your odds of being the one doing the punching are improved.

On this topic, two of my kids (14 and 16) are interested in doing MMA as an activity.  They do gymnastics and rock climbing respectively so they're plenty fit but they need a gym that won't throw them into a ring with Bartman or something.  Anyone have any thoughts?

For kids brazilian jiu jitsu is king. 15 year old girls can submit fit 25 year old guys. Kid fights are always going to the ground.

You need just enough striking to credibly protect your head as you clinch for a takedown and enough punching to get their hands up to their face. Once you are on the ground, the other person is dead.

After 3 months you will be able to take someone of your approximate weight and submit them with very high probability.

Im actually at lions krav maga which has a modified curriculum that has a heavy emphasis on grappling and kickboxing for self defense. I still would recommend pure brazilian jiu jitsu as a first martial art. 

Edited by crazyt

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 12:03 PM, Tree Magnet said:

I would rephrase that:

Pro:

Post back up if you find and answer for your kids.  I've got a few boys who've expressed some interest too.

-CJB

11 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Post back up if you find and answer for your kids.  I've got a few boys who've expressed some interest too.

-CJB

Brazilian jiu jitsu is amazing. You can fight at 100% with no risk of concussions etc. You go 100% until you establish a joint lock and then your opponent can tap out before the finish. What this means is that you are practicing real fighting every single day at 100%. Within about 3 months you can pretty much destroy any untrained person of similar weight and fitness. A black belt (10 years) that competes can probably handle a 100-150 pound weight disadvantage. 

This is by far the best martial art for kids. If you live up north there are a few choices. Just read the yelp reviews. Gracie Barra is a little bit like the specialized bikes of BJJ. They have a decent product but they are like a factory. You dont get to free roll (spar) for about 6 months which a lot of people dont like.

There are some good schools along 183