IGNORED

The new land development code is very bad (again)

crazyt

Is anyone up for the fight?

The old land development code had a clause which made it possible to build trails anywhere on properties in austin. The old code allowed multi-use trails within the buffer zone if they were for hiking. It looks like the new code says trails can be within the buffer zone only if they are "educational trails" which is not defined anywhere else. Critical environmental feature buffer zones are literally almost everywhere in the hill country. Regardless, you would likely have to map out every buffer zone for the watershed director to give approval.

This was good because as long as the trail was hiking you were ok.

A natural surface trail for hiking may be located within 50 feet of a critical environmental feature (CEF). Otherwise, multi-use trails are prohibited within CEF setbacks.

The new code says

Construction is prohibited, except for restoration activities or the construction of educational trails as approved by the Watershed Director; and

This is bad because even if you say it is an educational trail, it needs approval. Educational trails are not defined at all and the process for approval is not defined.

5 hours ago, Bamwa said:

If this is about Cat, hopefully you are grandfathered, maybe get pics of what's there before changes take effect. But yeah. Sucky news.

From the way I read it, this is about each and every trail that is not currently recognized by the City of Austin. That includes most trails on City lands. And virtually all the really good ones.

What do you think the city council member's reactions would be if I said this at a meeting:

"I feel the population of Austin would take this proposal to regulate trails, supposedly for the sake of the environment, much more seriously if all of you council members would stop ignoring the environmental disaster that is being caused by the homeless camps in our greenbelts and parks."

I'm sure it would make zero impact on them. They all seem to be so far gone and removed from reality it amazes me. We all know, and they do to, that this sort of proposal is about control and fund raising (via fees and permits) rather than the environment. Whereas observing the mountains of trash generated by the homeless camps doesn't even require a million dollar study to see what a negative impact they have on the environment.