IGNORED

Tragic Loss

throet

Sadly, not the only one recently.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/skiing/story/_/id/27754829/canadian-ski-cross-racer-mikayla-martin-dies-mountain-bike-accident

Maybe they’ll put on an annual event to commemorate Jordie. I was able to participate in McGazzafest (Kelly McGarry) in Queenstown earlier this year - it was pretty cool to see maybe a thousand riders gathered at the top of the lift to form the Mega Train, and lots of activities over the weekend to benefit various mtb projects. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TAF said:

I saw that too! Really, really sad. Saw an interview with her her parents and it sounds like she went OTB into a tree and crushed her chest. She was looking forward to the 2020 Olympics as a skier.   

9 minutes ago, TheX said:

This made me flashback to Nicky Hayden. Survived years of crazy motorcycle racing, and dies after being hit by a car in Italy riding a bicycle. He was 35.

https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/nicky-hayden-the-kentucky-kid-of-moto-gp-dead-at-35-w483643/

Yeah I was looking at some of Jordie's past videos and thinking how do you survive those 60ft drops and then get killed horsing around with your friends on a trail. They say he came up short on a gap jump and hit his head. Surely he was wearing a helmet. Of course when you're going as fast at these guys ride I'm not sure how much the helmet would help on a direct hit.     

• Like 1

Wrong place, wrong time I guess. My wreck was on a Sunday ride to teach new riders how to be safe on the streets. I was doing 5 mph turning left when another rider hit me. He wasn't paying close enough attention.

I survived countless trackdays (had a few lowsides, etc of course) and 40 years and almost 800,000 street miles doing stupid shit. I almost got killed at 5mph, freak event.

• Like 1

So tragic. By all accounts he was the nicest guy, was always giving back to the community, and did a lot of coaching with kids teams, too. And, of course, was one of the best freeriders in the world. He'd made a big turnaround in the last few years.

I'll preface this by saying I have no first-hand knowledge of the situation whatsoever, but it's pretty well documented that Jordie had multiple severe concussions (including TKOs) through his career. I have to wonder if, because of that, what might have been a survivable head injury for some was fatal for him in this case. So sad.

• Like 1

I don't know the Jordie guy but I did know Mehoway and risk taking.  It's great to know people went out doing what they love but there is no shame in walking a feature either.

I just read about how Mikayla tried this:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/486533/

Story and chance to donate here:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mikayla-martin-memorial-fund

Taper your stoke or not, accordingly. Roll safe, roll long.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bamwa said:

I don't know the Jordie guy but I did know Mehoway and risk taking.  It's great to know people went out doing what they love but there is no shame in walking a feature either.

I just read about how Mikayla tried this:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/486533/

Story and chance to donate here:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mikayla-martin-memorial-fund

Taper your stoke or not, accordingly. Roll safe, roll long.

That whole deal with Mikayla is really weird. In the interview with her parents they made it sound like she was just out on a casual ride and had a freak accident. Then her Aunt starts a GoFundMe page, offers complete details on what happened before, during, and after the incident. So now we have all the details and they have $45K in donations. 

So she tried riding down the Governator for the first time ever, a feature that challenges even accomplished pro riders. I have no idea how much you could even attempt to control your speed coming down that feature, but as you can see in the clip below, the G-forces with each transition are immense. The speed that Reece is traveling when he comes into that section of trees is unbelievable, and clearly one wrong move or mishap and you're likely dead, especially knowing that help couldn't even get to you within an hour. Truly feel bad for Mikayla and her family, but like my wife keeps telling me, "live life like there is no tomorrow and eventually you'll be right"!   

If you read the ride report, she pulled off the rock slab drop in but then her hand slipped off the bar under compression upon the exit.  It reads like it happened just at the bottom of the slab face as it transitions away.  But watching the video above a few times, it almost seems to me that the more "aggressive" compression happens later as you hit the G-out upon entering into the trees.

I don't think I'd even come close to attempting this.  But it seems like a pretty low-reward high-penalty type feature.  Its not part of the trail, it doesn't lead anywhere, and if you make a mistake your ridiculously far from assistance.  Its done purely for show, it has no function.

I will say that the ride report from her days ride did make me a bit misty.  It was a nice read and a nice tribute to her last hours.

Later, -CJB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

If you read the ride report, she pulled off the rock slab drop in but then her hand slipped off the bar under compression upon the exit.  It reads like it happened just at the bottom of the slab face as it transitions away.  But watching the video above a few times, it almost seems to me that the more "aggressive" compression happens later as you hit the G-out upon entering into the trees.

Yep I was thinking from the ride report that she initially lost control at that first transition and that bike and body were still moving forward together at a high-rate of speed. At some point further down it sounds like her front wheel went perpendicular, launching her directly into a tree. I've had and seen some bad crashes, but I hope that I never have to witness anything like this, ever. Seems that it's just a matter of time before something really bad happens at Rampage given the feats being exhibited there.   

2 hours ago, TheX said:

Penalty for failure is way too high for me.

This is how I feel about Gnargasm or whatever that one is with the boulder to ladder. At some point a rear wheel skid does nothing and you still accelerate. I eyed it up then said I'm cool to walk this one. Some people say f it and just huck off rental trucks tho.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ugh.  October has been really bad.  I can't count the number of times I've ridden A-Line - the knowledge of risk is always there.  I've had my fair share of broken bones, but honestly, we rarely think about the possibility of death.  Hate to see this happen to a fellow rider:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mountain-biker-dies-following-a-line-crash.html

• Sad 1

On 10/16/2019 at 3:16 PM, throet said:

Seems that it's just a matter of time before something really bad happens at Rampage given the feats being exhibited there.   

PAUL BASAGOITIA ,, That was and is pretty bad. I think the documentary is hitting HBO soon if not already 

2 hours ago, Cafeend said:

PAUL BASAGOITIA ,, That was and is pretty bad. I think the documentary is hitting HBO soon if not already 

Oh yeah forgot about him. Glad to hear he is at least getting around some. Great video in the link below describing his love for the e-bike. 

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a28186407/paul-basagoitia-bike/

• Like 1