IGNORED

Behrens Ranch Metro Park - open house

Join YOUR Parks and Rec team for a public Open House and give us YOUR feedback on preliminary concepts for the first phase of development of the Behrens Ranch Metro Park. The Open House will take place from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16,  at Old Town Elementary, 2200 Chaparral Drive.  

Need the North Round Rock mtb'ers to represent.

FYI.  There is a 4.8-ish lightly ridden loop out there.

It's about 220-acres.  Not much on-line info available.  The is park of the Parks and Rec trails Master Plan.  City plans are to build parking area/play ground near intersection of Wyoming Spings/Old Settlers and have a 3.5-ish mile hiking/biking trail. 

The has been a spider web of trail out there for years.  Have been cleaning cob webs and establishing a route.

In the 4.8-ish mile loop, there is about 10 feet in elevation change.  Mostly grassy with a few wooded sections.

strava2704221907572224234.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, St.Bernardo said:

Join YOUR Parks and Rec team for a public Open House and give us YOUR feedback on preliminary concepts for the first phase of development of the Behrens Ranch Metro Park. The Open House will take place from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16,  at Old Town Elementary, 2200 Chaparral Drive.  

Need the North Round Rock mtb'ers to represent.

FYI.  There is a 4.8-ish lightly ridden loop out there.

I moved across the street in Tonkawa springs this year and I had vaguely remembered a friend telling me a few years back that Behrens ranch HOA was donating some space for a park. I’ll definitely try to check out the loop this week. Wish I could make the open house but have a 5 yr olds soccer practice to coach at that exact time. May try to catch the last 15-20 minutes.

RR has a good 5,000 ft view of the site.  Curious to see how plans come together when the RR staff has gotten a more in depth look at and boots on the property. 

We've had our initial round of input.  Now go log some laps. Or if you're felling freaking, link Behrens to Wilco to Brushy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, St.Bernardo said:

Or if you're felling freaking, link Behrens to Wilco to Brushy.

Indeed! I've been eyeing a Brushy/SN/ChristChurch/Wilco/Behrens eveything loop for a few weeks. Think I'll stick it someplace between EB and DS. Hmmm, it's a little further, but if you really wanna get nuts, maybe consider Xtal Falls as well. 

30 minutes ago, Barry said:

Indeed! I've been eyeing a Brushy/SN/ChristChurch/Wilco/Behrens eveything loop for a few weeks. Think I'll stick it someplace between EB and DS. Hmmm, it's a little further, but if you really wanna get nuts, maybe consider Xtal Falls as well. 

Why not toss in Lake Georgetown and make it the Complete Chimichanga?

• Like 3

How did the meeting go?  I will definitely need to get there to check out the trails on the property.  In my childhood we dove hunted this exact location near the pond created by the COE dam every chance we had.  Of course this was long before the housing developments and the property was in the family.  The retention area during a flood is rather large from the dam, but has porous limestone beneath that drains into the aquifer quickly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry said:

We should talk. I've been mapping out basically the same thing. Not sure when I'll get to do it, but there's potential for a pretty epic ride.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DBehrens said:

How did the meeting go?  I will definitely need to get there to check out the trails on the property.  In my childhood we dove hunted this exact location near the pond created by the COE dam every chance we had.  Of course this was long before the housing developments and the property was in the family.  The retention area during a flood is rather large from the dam, but has porous limestone beneath that drains into the aquifer quickly. 

Do you happen to know how the rock walls got built out there?

5 hours ago, schoolie said:

We should talk. I've been mapping out basically the same thing. Not sure when I'll get to do it, but there's potential for a pretty epic ride.

I've been playing around with this.  Here's through Behrens, parts of Wilco, and parts of SN.

Missed a Strava update and lost mileage off of the back end.

strava235271473077000998.jpg

12 hours ago, St.Bernardo said:

Do you happen to know how the rock walls got built out there?

I am unsure of the exact ones you are talking about, but I know my great grand-father built some dry-stacked limestone fieldstone fences.   Unsure if the old homestead footings are still there, or if that site is in the parkland area, but they were stacked limestone also.   

12 hours ago, DBehrens said:

I am unsure of the exact ones you are talking about, but I know my great grand-father built some dry-stacked limestone fieldstone fences.   Unsure if the old homestead footings are still there, or if that site is in the parkland area, but they were stacked limestone also.   

We should get together for a lap sometime.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the day off and got my chores done early, so I finally had the opportunity when I thought it would be dry over there to go explore. This is going to be a perfect trail for my kids to learn on! Ton of potential out there. Being the dreamer I am my ideal scenario for that place would be a somewhere in the range of a 8-10 mile big loop that could be broken into 2-3mile loops for kids and a centrally located pavilion only accessible by foot or bicycle with some picnic tables and a surrounding skills area. I don’t know if this would fit into either of the plans presented at the meeting a few weeks back but it would be awesome! Duthie hill park in Washington changed my view on what is possible. You would want to get a group like ARR involved who can reach a lot of volunteers and then the cost to the city would be a pavilion, parking lot, bathroom or well maintained porta-potties. One can dream!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Behrens Ranch Metro Park follow-up Public Open House

February 5 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm

FREE

THE RESULTS ARE IN! Join us for a follow-up Public Open House to view the results of YOUR feedback on preliminary concepts and development of Behrens Ranch Metro Park. The Open House will take place Wednesday, February 5th from 5 to 7pm at the Baca Center Grand Room located at 301 West Bagdad, Building 2. We value your input and with YOUR help, we will create another award-winning park you and your family can enjoy for generations to come.

• Like 3