IGNORED

Behrens Ranch Metro Park - open house

Just got back from my first ride out there, really neat place, a little scenic in places, lots of short, odd, crescent shaped rock walls in random locations. Overall like a 1/10 on the technical scale and only because the north end is a little rocky. Once my kid build up a little more stamina I think it would be a great place to bring her. 

My biggest question is parking. I'm not in one of the adjacent neighborhoods so I ended up parking at the pool and riding the drainage ditch trail then into the center of the ditch. Based on Strava this seems common. But i'm curious if there is something more recommended. 

2 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Just got back from my first ride out there, really neat place, a little scenic in places, lots of short, odd, crescent shaped rock walls in random locations. Overall like a 1/10 on the technical scale and only because the north end is a little rocky. Once my kid build up a little more stamina I think it would be a great place to bring her. 

My biggest question is parking. I'm not in one of the adjacent neighborhoods so I ended up parking at the pool and riding the drainage ditch trail then into the center of the ditch. Based on Strava this seems common. But i'm curious if there is something more recommended. 

I park on Behren's parkway at the end, and go in where the city of round Rock sign is, when I take my kids.

Edited by 4fun

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, TheX said:

I've seen the damage a mountain lion can do to an MTB rider years ago. Not a pretty sight.

Fortunately this one looked like it was already chasing something that I’m sure looks like a easier target than my fat ars! But it definitely rattled me! I was hyper aware of every  little noise I heard the rest of the ride!

10 hours ago, 4fun said:

Would like to set up a game camera to see if I can get a picture of the mountain lion I’m pretty sure I saw out there tonight!

Dang.  I've seen turkey, fox, tarantulas, snakes, but no mtn lion.  Better keep my eyes open on my next lap.

Where do you think I saw it?

1 hour ago, St.Bernardo said:

Dang.  I've seen turkey, fox, tarantulas, snakes, but no mtn lion.  Better keep my eyes open on my next lap.

Where do you think I saw it?

Last time riding there I came across a big hog.  I think it was as startled as I was.  Neighbors that also back to the open space have a game camera set up but they've just seen cows, coyotes, roadrunners, bobcats and of course the hogs.

1 hour ago, St.Bernardo said:

It is easy to link Brushy to Behrens then to SW Regional Park back to Brushy.

The Behrens to WilCo path is sweet! Drop into the creek/culvert on the south-west side, then head north to neighborhood gravel paths. 

But WilCo back to Brushy gets a bit dicey. I don't know a good way that doesn't involve Ronald Reagan. Whitestone is a shitshow.

24 minutes ago, St.Bernardo said:

The south side of 1431 from Sam Bass to the abandoned CR is rideable.  Grassy, but rideable. 

I kind of feel like SubNinja, WilCo and Behrens are a bit of SATN style trails on the north side. Having nice ways to link them together that avoids dangerous roads is helpful. So thanks particularly for the first link. I've tried and failed previously to find something like that. But I'll use your route next time to stay on the right path. 

And speaking of linking things together, this ride shows a couple of interesting routes originally put together by @schoolie. First off, like I mentioned, the culvert path from Behrens to WilCo is super cool. But this route also shows a great way to get from Anderson Mill to Brushy. 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

And speaking of linking things together, this ride shows a couple of interesting routes originally put together by @schoolie. First off, like I mentioned, the culvert path from Behrens to WilCo is super cool. But this route also shows a great way to get from Anderson Mill to Brushy. 

I had no idea you could ride that greenbelt.  I ride from my home to Brushy taking that trail next to Riviera drive toward 183, but I never knew it went in the other direction.  Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Double cool:  this is going to change how I ride to the Discovery Well Preserve.  Right now I just take roads which are not bad at all, but trail would be better.  I've ridden some of the Westside Preserve on my gravel grinder and it has significant chunk and cheese grater type rocks.  Do you run liners on your Hagar?

7 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Do you run liners on your Hagar?

I run HuckNorris in ChamoisHagar. I take it really slow on chunky sharp rocks, not really because I'm concerned about my rims, but the WTB Venture tires (which I love otherwise) are very soft and shred like cheese on the cheese-grater rock. 

• Like 1