IGNORED

Behrens Ranch Metro Park - open house

7 hours ago, St.Bernardo said:

Dang.  I've seen turkey, fox, tarantulas, snakes, but no mtn lion.  Better keep my eyes open on my next lap.

Where do you think I saw it?

In the vicinity of the yellow circle. I came around a clump of cedars with a left curve and it was on a full sprint. Appeared to be the size of a large golden retriever but longer! Out of my periphery I thought I spooked a deer and when I turn it definitely was a cat!

689D9731-BB76-462E-B676-A85F91A55D5A.jpeg

The craziest part is one of my friends wives saw a large cat come out of the woods near great oaks and hairy man two weeks ago and she was questioning if it was a mountain lion because she didn’t see any spots and I told him it had to just be a large bobcat! 

The craziest part is one of my friends wives saw a large cat come out of the woods near great oaks and hairy man two weeks ago and she was questioning if it was a mountain lion because she didn’t see any spots and I told him it had to just be a large bobcat! 

That’s not surprising. Lots of very well fed animals along brushy. My wife grew up in Spanish Oaks, the neighborhood across that washed out bridge at the S end of SN. Lots of deer/rabbits etc. in their 5 acre track. They used to see all sorts of predators along there. There’s quite a few large tracks still along there for a big cat to hide. As the crow flies its not that far to Great Oaks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Barry said:

I kind of feel like SubNinja, WilCo and Behrens are a bit of SATN style trails on the north side. Having nice ways to link them together that avoids dangerous roads is helpful. So thanks particularly for the first link. I've tried and failed previously to find something like that. But I'll use your route next time to stay on the right path. 

And speaking of linking things together, this ride shows a couple of interesting routes originally put together by @schoolie. First off, like I mentioned, the culvert path from Behrens to WilCo is super cool. But this route also shows a great way to get from Anderson Mill to Brushy. 

FYI. On the S. Side of 1431, from Sam Bass ride up near the fence/tree drip line until you get to CR 178 (abandoned). Follow 178 back around to 1431.  From there ride the grass to the Apartments. Sidewalk and concrete to trail head.

5 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I had no idea you could ride that greenbelt.  I ride from my home to Brushy taking that trail next to Riviera drive toward 183, but I never knew it went in the other direction.  Thanks!!

4 hours ago, St.Bernardo said:

Thanks Barry.  Had no idea there was that much to ride to the West of 183.

I got some Exploring to do.

This warms my heart.  🙂

Super stoked to see more people finding this stuff. There really is an incredible network of trail around here, and it just keeps getting better. 

For example... some kind soul connected the baseball diamond to the future Lakeline Park by going under Little Elm. That used to be the longest section of pavement between Discovery Well and the YMCA. Not anymore!!

image.thumb.png.bfc4bab5b50e303f21f69bbf6d700a8b.png

Old line in red, new in blue 🙂

• Like 2

FYI. On the S. Side of 1431, from Sam Bass ride up near the fence/tree drip line until you get to CR 178 (abandoned). Follow 178 back around to 1431.  From there ride the grass to the Apartments. Sidewalk and concrete to trail head.
That takes you to SN?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ve never been back there after dark! I ride 50% at night, but From my garage it’s about a mile peddle to hit candy land or Behren’s and don’t feel like my lights will alarm anyone at brushy, + if anything happens I feel The traffics higher at brushy and more likely to be found. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 7:44 PM, St.Bernardo said:

Park here.  Let me know when you're headed that way.  I might could meet you for a Tour.

Screenshot_20201007-194235.png

Yeah, I'll give you a holler but it will depend on timing. For the rest of this month I am still on partial lockdown from the wife's surgery so I can't ride with anyone until next month. Also, being an international man of leisure means that my ride will probably be in the middle of the week some time. You around during the weekend? It's been forever since we've ridden together.

7 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, I'll give you a holler but it will depend on timing. For the rest of this month I am still on partial lockdown from the wife's surgery so I can't ride with anyone until next month. Also, being an international man of leisure means that my ride will probably be in the middle of the week some time. You around during the weekend? It's been forever since we've ridden together.

Covid schedule.  I can make a mid-day/week with some notice. Yes Sir, it's been a while.

We could knock out Behrens and Wilco SW Regional Park if interested. 18-20 miles, total.

• 3 weeks later...

@ B@RR -- If you were to cross 1431 and go down the south side toward Parmer and pickup 178 ,, why cant we connect somewhere in yellow to the trail ?

The trail in red on my Strava is just the lollipop little loop by that hood. By that house is looking like a private drive I think so that is likely not feasible.

But it seems doable somehow behind the medical place and church to connect. Maybe? 

image.thumb.png.352b66992ad81e800204acc729035919.png

I have heard of a way to connect those from a previous trail gnome who jumps onto 178.  I am thinking about pulling together a "north" EB.  Include:

All of Brushy trails, Behrens, Wilco, Suburban, and Crystal Falls.  Trying to work out how to string them together using the brushy trail and 183A trail network while trying not to hit 1431/Ronald Reagan/etc.

I know Barry has done this and more (adding in lake Georgetown), but I don't drink enough Bourbon for that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shinerider said:

I know Barry has done this and more (adding in lake Georgetown), but I don't drink enough Bourbon for that.

Our route didn't add Goodwater. This was my version of it: https://www.strava.com/activities/2869992926

And then just a couple of weeks ago a father/son racer dudes duo did mostly the same ride, except they were able to add Peddler's (it was still too wet when I rode mine) and the new Xtal falls bits:  https://www.strava.com/activities/4208583086

But they're very similar otherwise. Although I prefer my Behrens to WilCo route because I start in the culvert and ride under the low bridges instead of hitting the neighborhood gravel on the side of the culvert. 

51 minutes ago, St.Bernardo said:

Talk to AJ at The Peddler.  He had a "Nut Cracker" ride planned for last December.

He kept promising to make it happen, even after the beginning of the year. But then Covid.

• Like 1